View Full Version : Wrestling hits the beach!

10/04/2004 7:05pm,
Looking for some change, wrestling eyes the beach
by Gary Mihoces | Aug 24 '04

ATHENS -- Here comes beach wrestling, headlocks in the sand.
FILA, wrestling's world governing body, voted here to make major format changes starting next year for world and Olympic tournaments of the usual sort -- indoor on mats. The aim is to jazz up the sport and appeal to television.

But at the bottom of a FILA press release was word that, "Beach wrestling will also be part of the new wrestling world."

Said FILA President Raphael Martinetti, "In many countries, for example in Africa, beach wrestling is a traditional sport. . . .

Still trying to find more news, but I guess that'll come out later on. Soon to come...mud wrestling.

Roidie McDouchebag
10/04/2004 7:36pm,
Wrestling in sand...a wonderful way to force sand into your eyes mouth and nose.

Deadpan Scientist
10/04/2004 10:34pm,
Could be worse. Could be turkish wrestling.

Are they going to make the women's divisions wear bikinis like in beach volleyball?

Roidie McDouchebag
10/04/2004 10:43pm,
There shouldn't BE a men's division. Actually once on the Outdoor Life Network I saw women doing what I guess you could call beach wrestling, but it was like sumo (force opponent out of the ring) combined with I don't know what...there were no pins or submissions. I would NOT advocate it as an Olympic sport...but then I wouldn't advocate TKD either.

10/05/2004 10:03am,