PDA

View Full Version : What do you think about this?

JackHanma
9/26/2004 3:16am,
I found this article (http://www.combatkyusho.com./articles/eastwest.htm) on the net and it makes some questionable claims. Here is the claim I found interesting "During the 1990s, the Federal Bureau of Investigation conducted a study concerning martial artists placed in actual street self-defense situations. They found that black belts could not defend themselves in 86% of street fights. The major contributing factor was that the majority of these martial artists trained in a sport oriented system. "

First, can anybody find this alleged study?

Second, I only study of self-defense situations I have heard of studied about 800 police reports. The wrestlers did the best so what is this guy talking about? Sport Karate or TKD?

Moleculo
9/26/2004 3:20am,
The article is basically an editorial ad.

"This article is the opinion of Rand Cardwell, founder of the Combat Kyusho Association"

NHB_Ben
9/26/2004 3:35am,
Well, if 90% of martial artists are TKD guys and 86% of martial artists fail to defend themselves...

That means only 4% of people are learning t3h real TKD.

JackHanma
9/26/2004 11:02am,
Originally posted by mike reese
The article is basically an editorial ad.

"This article is the opinion of Rand Cardwell, founder of the Combat Kyusho Association"

I know its an editoral but whats all this about an FBI study? What study is he talking about? I have never heard of such a thing. Smells fishy...

punchingdummy
9/26/2004 11:30am,
I think it's bullshit. The implication would be that training is sport martil arts SIGNIFICANTLY degrades your ability to defend yourself relative to the average thug.

OneWingedAngel
9/26/2004 12:15pm,
Are you kidding? 37% of all statistics are made up on the spot. The article speaks of a study, but never cites it, gives no refernece to where it might be found, who conducted it, for who, and why. I mean, come on, why would the FBI care that mcdojo blackbelts can't defend themselves. And how large and long would this study have to be to include a signifigant sampling of blackblets attacked to be at all useful.

Blitzkrieg
9/26/2004 12:43pm,
Well I've heard many stories of TKD guys gettin their butt kicked because of not having the room to kick. Usually fights start at or within punching distance. Generally way to close for a kick.

Some people just freak out and freeze. It comes to style, how you've fought/sparred and adrenalin. imo