PDA

View Full Version : Use of elbows when sparring

Pages : [1] 2

WingChun Lawyer
9/24/2004 12:22pm,
Who among you guys use your elbows when sparring? Do you use some kind if elbow guard, or do you go at half force? Did this practice ever result in serious injuries in your gym?

I am curious about that. I see no way to safely spar while allowing hits with the elbows, but apparently some people here do just that.

Shuma-Gorath
9/24/2004 1:06pm,
If we ever throw them it's very controlled, usually only in clinch-only sparring. I'm still coming up with a few different ways to block them.

Jolly_Roger
9/24/2004 1:10pm,
Well, down here we use elbow guards AND use them half-force...but still, we get a lot of accidents.
Most of the time, we spar with elbows only between longtime practitioners, and by common accord.
still, I lost half a tooth to a well placed rising elbow, so Iīm very careful around them

CaptShady
9/24/2004 1:26pm,
Okay. So many talk about "aliveness" and how you can't make it work unless you try it on a resistant opponent. Then I see threads like this. You can't eyepoke, elbow the face, bust a joint, kick the nuts, etc. Then those same people rag on anyone pointing out a difference between ring fighting, and street fighting, and how anybody can do anything they want in UFC, or NHB competitions. When clearly, that's not the case.

WingChun Lawyer
9/24/2004 1:41pm,
Originally posted by Jolly_Roger

still, I lost half a tooth to a well placed rising elbow, so Iīm very careful around them

Ouch.

CaptShady, I do understand there is a difference between ringfighting and fighting in an uncontrolled environment, that is precisely why I made this thread. But I donīt see many people here saying things arenīt so.

Shuma-Gorath
9/24/2004 1:50pm,
For dangerous **** like elbows and groin kicks, you work PLACEMENT on a resisting opponent and POWER on a pad or heavy bag.

WingChun Lawyer
9/24/2004 1:53pm,
My coach says even light contact with an elbow may easily result in bleeding, because of the tip of the elbow. That is why we donīt use it when sparring. Neither do we practice groin kicks when sparring (we do not wear cups either).

albert
9/24/2004 1:54pm,
I use my elbows to block uppercuts/body shots. Elbow strikes aren't allowed during sparring though, but I don't see why you can't do it with controlled contact wearing elbow pads.

jaychiu
9/24/2004 1:55pm,
Originally posted by CaptShady
Okay. So many talk about "aliveness" and how you can't make it work unless you try it on a resistant opponent. Then I see threads like this. You can't eyepoke, elbow the face, bust a joint, kick the nuts, etc. Then those same people rag on anyone pointing out a difference between ring fighting, and street fighting, and how anybody can do anything they want in UFC, or NHB competitions. When clearly, that's not the case.

"Aliveness" isn't just hard sparring. It's more than that.

But you can train elbows if you just wear the proper safety equipment.

Same way the Dog Brothers can swing sticks at each other full force while training: proper safety equipment.

Jolly_Roger
9/24/2004 1:55pm,
Originally posted by CaptShady

The thing is, for me at least, itīs impossible to spar full force with elbows and not be injured. While I know there are people who do it, I canīt, partly because of work, and partly, because Iīm a little scared of being elbowed on the head three times a week.
So, my options remains either a) donīt ever practice elbows, and hope that just by drilling I can get them right, or b) risk a little, and get into sparring with them, though not full force.

Again, please bear in mind that Iīm not saying that it canīt be done, just that my level of commitment is not THAT high. And I think that this option provides me with at least somewhat better knowledge of elbows than not sparring at all with them.

WingChun Lawyer
9/24/2004 1:57pm,
Personally, even with elbow pads I donīt think I would be confortable sparring that way. High risks. Very high. My level of commitment is not that high.

WhiteShark
9/24/2004 2:08pm,
You can practice elbows on the heavy bag and on BOB.

Traditional Tom
9/24/2004 2:39pm,
Is it possible to build up 'tougher' skin on the elbow? Because I accidently scraped some skin off last time I was elbowing my BOB in the face. It also doesnt help that Im a slow healer.

zenbert
9/24/2004 3:07pm,
No, I'm not sure if there's a formal discouragement but never seen anyone spar with them. I can only imagine "a Micheline Man" grade armor to be sufficient for sparring with elbows.

Our elbow striking points are typically side of head, temple, back of the head, up the jaws, and upper back. Several grapple to strike techniques ending with elbows. Personally I wouldn't want to be receiving any of those blows with just pads and helmet.

Ronin
9/24/2004 3:09pm,
I drill my elbows like crazy on the bag, spar-pro and dummy, never in sparring though, did an elbow to the chest once, the guy thought I had fractured his sternum ( I didn't), never did again.

WingChun Lawyer
9/24/2004 3:32pm,
Interesting, so we do not have as many elbow-striking psychos as I thought.