PDA

View Full Version : Muay Thai and Kyokushin Kicks

Freddy
9/22/2004 12:44pm,
Whats the difference? (If I recall theres was a link to a site that gives discriptions of the differences but I cant find it.)

gojuJKDdude
9/22/2004 1:17pm,
MT kicks with the shin and the hip leads the leg..

I think Kyokushin is more of a traditional karate kick, uses the instep.

Theres a great vid of kyokushin in the downloads section. the high kyokushin kick is very deceptive. It comes up and drops down.

Ronin
9/22/2004 1:27pm,
Here:

http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?threadid=12434

Crucified
9/22/2004 9:47pm,
Kyokushin fighters also use their shins alot in kicking.

http://www.kyokushinmail.com/koya/KickInstruction.htm

Around a third of the way down is a good description for the high kicks of different styles.

Niloc
9/22/2004 10:14pm,
Originally posted by gojuJKDdude
MT kicks with the shin and the hip leads the leg..

I think Kyokushin is more of a traditional karate kick, uses the instep.

Theres a great vid of kyokushin in the downloads section. the high kyokushin kick is very deceptive. It comes up and drops down.

Not the way that I was taught. Get it way up and bring it straight across, preferably over the top of a lazy block. :-)

samadhi_fire
9/22/2004 11:00pm,
The Muay Thai kick is like the swinging of a baseball bat and that once it makes contact, the practioner is able to fire the kick in a rapid succession that is not deliverable with the Kyokushin Karate kick.

I gather that this has something to do with the hip leading the kick as compared to KK's kick where the knee leads the kick .

liuzg150181
9/22/2004 11:08pm,
Not to forget MT kicks utilize a lot on twisting the waist~~~

Freddy
9/23/2004 5:13pm,
Thanks guys!

Blad3
9/24/2004 3:48am,
They're the same. Well that site I posted said they were apart from the way they move their hands basically...That's how I remember it.

Blad3
9/24/2004 3:54am,
hmm well ok no I was wrong (gasp.) But I've seen thai boxer's do the kick both ways (maybe they were the kyokushin turned MT ppl.)