PDA

View Full Version : Are the stylistic arts worth dying for? No way.

Pages : [1] 2

Kungfoolss
9/22/2004 12:12am,
I have no idea if this news piece has ever been posted given the age of the article (September 24, 1999) but I believe it shows the little known dangers of the stylistic arts.

Martial arts injury claims officer's life

By TIM LOGAN
News Editor

South Bend Police Cpl. Randy Moore died Wednesday, losing his struggle to recover from a broken neck suffered in an accident Sept. 6. oore died at Saint Joseph's Regional Medical Center, where he had been since falling while practicing flips in a Mishawaka martial arts studio. He was 33.

The officer is survived by two daughters, ages 6 and 8, and his wife, Amy, who is four months pregnant.

The accident happened while Moore, a brown belt with four years experience, fell on his head or shoulder while practicing martial arts two weeks ago. He was off duty when the accident occurred. The officer was paralyzed from the mid-chest down and had trouble breathing in recent days. He was on a ventilator in the hospital's Intensive Care Unit, but was able to talk with visitors, including his wife, family and many police officers.

Doctors performed a two-hour operation on Moore in order to relieve pressure on his spinal cord. He had also recently begun taking the experimental drug, Sygen, to ease the paralysis. Moore was a member of the Bicycle Patrol and the Special Weapons and Tactics Team (SWAT) of the South Bend Police. He joined the force in 1992, and had served with the St. Joseph County Police Department for approximately two years before that.

"He was an outstanding police officer," said Capt. Gary Horvath, police department spokesman. "He knew what he had to do and went out and did it."

http://www.nd.edu/~observer/09241999/News/1.html

blankslate
9/22/2004 8:43am,
Sad. I'm surprised this does not happen in gymnastics and wrestling more often.

MUT
9/23/2004 5:38am,
Man that's sad. a wife and 2 kids...:(

erictbrown1
9/23/2004 5:50am,
This makes me want to cry very sad :(

SLJ
9/24/2004 8:51am,
"practicing flips in a Mishawaka martial arts studio"

Gymnasts train for ages with qualified coaches. If you try and bypass that this is what's likley to happen to you.

Zing!
9/25/2004 12:40pm,
That's a pretty rough story. I know that we all laughed at the idiot with nunchucks clip, but that **** can get serious. It's always important to be safe with this sort of training.

SLJ, your avatar is awesome. The Prodigy is amazing.

Ka-Bar
9/25/2004 1:55pm,
Man, it'd be so much more hardcore if he died doing SCARS

TheManchu
9/25/2004 8:54pm,
It wouldn't necessarily have to be him that died doing SCARS for it to be cooler.

Ka-Bar
9/26/2004 12:26am,
Touche'

Kungfoolss
9/26/2004 1:28am,
Originally posted by Ka-Bar
Man, it'd be so much more hardcore if he died doing SCARS

Thankfully we're not incompetent stylists, so the possibility of that occurring is remote.

SLJ
9/27/2004 5:08am,
"SLJ, your avatar is awesome. The Prodigy is amazing"

Yer, they're brilliant. I recommend their latest album (and any others)

Roidie McDouchebag
9/27/2004 5:21am,
KFSS, this is ridiculous, it's disgusting that you would use this sort of thing to support your arguement it's like saying "Ha! Ha! I'm right because this guy DIED doing something I don't like, oh I must now gloat!" it happened years ago, and you have nothing better to do NOW than to dig it up and dishonour someone's death...pathetic.

SLJ
9/27/2004 8:15am,
He didn't even die doing MAs, it was (unsafe) gymnastics.

Kungfoolss
9/27/2004 11:44am,
Originally posted by I Choke You
KFSS, this is ridiculous, it's disgusting that you would use this sort of thing to support your arguement it's like saying "Ha! Ha! I'm right because this guy DIED doing something I don't like, oh I must now gloat!" it happened years ago, and you have nothing better to do NOW than to dig it up and dishonour someone's death...pathetic.

The way I look at it Choke, this article could possibly save someone’s life. If an incompetent instructor makes a student do something unsafe or beyond their skill level that could hurt or even injure them severely, this account will serve its purpose by alerting them to the potential hazard.

I can't do anything about your animosity towards that goal. You're not going to protect people by burying and suppressing these sorts of incidents. So yes, I'm going to keep digging up these sorts of documented cases to save individuals lives. I have no idea what your motivation is, but this happens to be mine.

Kungfoolss
9/27/2004 11:48am,
Originally posted by SLJ
He didn't even die doing MAs, it was (unsafe) gymnastics.

No...he just happened to be doing martial arts in a martial arts class at the time. Sure....

Come on, let's stop with the whitewash.

SLJ
9/28/2004 6:08am,
Yes he was in a MA dojo, but bad backflips have never appeared in any MA's class I've taken. He was probably just trying some "Cool" flips he'd seen on the TV and fucked them up big time, hardly the MAs (or senseis) fault.