PDA

View Full Version : what should i expect

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

tai-gip
9/21/2004 12:41am,
exactly how long should it take you to become proficient in bjj. Last night I tried a class for the first time. Starting at the legs while kneeling with the opponent on his back I was able to pass and get side mount in about 1 minute on the first purple belt before he reversed..... got a wrist lock on a blue belt in about 1 minute he didn't tap but later said it was hurting and he thought close to causing injury so I should be careful ?? wtf? same guy with me on my back while he was going for full mount I got my arm around his neck (right arm going from the right of his back of neck to the left folding under the throat and linked with my other arm lifting up and back a little) buggered if I know what its called. again he wouldn't tap and I let go so he took mount and called it a win....... Now I know sweet fa about bjj but I thought I had these guys...wtf went on....was it just the cant loose to the first class no experience guy or am I way of base... third guy purple belt we rolled for about ten minutes nothing doing...
thought id ask here based on the posters

now I have done a fair bit of chi sao and some mauy thai but never and bjj

Greese
9/21/2004 1:17am,
Where did you train at?

Owen
9/21/2004 1:23am,
Where the hell are these guys coming from that are passing guard during free sparring within two weeks of their first practice?

I have to stop drinking.

Greese
9/21/2004 1:26am,
Or people need to stop lying. :-)

alex
9/21/2004 1:32am,
you do realise tai gip that no one takes oyu seriously anymore. go away.

NSLightsOut
9/21/2004 1:40am,
Well, funny things can happen when you're:

a) Doing a one-armed sweeping drill

or

b) Going easy on the new guy and playing around

I was at this class. Now, I was busy with my own rolling, but I saw the purple belt that tai-gip is referring to. Now, this purple belt is considered a good fighter in an academy that has, in the last two years had one third place and one first place at the Mundials in the blue belts. He was playing around, because, quite simply, that's how he teaches the new guys about positions. If he wasn't, it would have been nasty.

And I'm wondering which blue belt you nearly tapped with a wristlock?

supercrap
9/21/2004 1:43am,
Wow! You met tai gip! This is big news!

MUT
9/21/2004 1:51am,
Taigip you are just too kool.

Lying Fuckwit.

JKDChick
9/21/2004 2:02am,
No, no I think he's just too new to realise that the better guys weren't messing him up.

Greese
9/21/2004 2:05am,
Well, they can fix that next time.

alex
9/21/2004 2:14am,
so what does tai gip look like? and can he demonstrate his faster than light speed punching?

NSLightsOut
9/21/2004 2:20am,
Originally posted by JKDChick
No, no I think he's just too new to realise that the better guys weren't messing him up.

That's exactly what I'm putting this down to. It doesn't really bother me at all, as everyone comes away with some misinformed opinions after the first training session.

A little time, and a little experience, and he'll learn.

Greese
9/21/2004 2:21am,
Did he teach a bike fu clinic?

Matsufubu
9/21/2004 7:32am,
Tell us all about Tai Gip! Does he speak like he types? That would be sooooo cool!

Zeddy
9/21/2004 8:54am,
Originally posted by supercrap
Wow! You met tai gip! This is big news!

He's right, that IS a bragging point. :rolleyes:

Seriously though, good for tai-gip, hopefully this will prove to be a learning experience for him. Even the wackiest can improve. :)

Originally posted by Matsufubu
Tell us all about Tai Gip! Does he speak like he types? That would be sooooo cool!

:D

Zeddy
9/21/2004 8:59am,
By the way NSLightsOut, can you check on the chi and faster than light punching for us? It'd be interesting to hear how he explains things in person, hopefully it'll make more sense.