PDA

View Full Version : BJJ instructional DVDs - recommendations?

Pages : [1] 2

Beatdown Richie
9/17/2004 10:41am,
I'm thinking about getting a set of instructional DVDs for my BJJ training. Preferrably, I want both basics (to look up details that I may have forgotten) and advanced moves to expand my game. Can you recommend anything?

Ronin
9/17/2004 10:43am,
From what I gather, Mario Sperry is the way to go.

Traditional Tom
9/17/2004 10:44am,
Do you have some large teddy bear you would be practising on or something? As far as I can tell, BJJ sounds iike the kind of MA you really do need someone to practise on.

blankslate
9/17/2004 10:47am,
I am going to get

Roy Harris 101, 102 and 201
Mario Sperry stuff
The Master Texts by Simco
Tony Cechhine Hooking Series
I may get the Bass and Williams tapes from SBGi
Hatmaker's books are excellent

Check out the reviews here:
http://www.members.aol.com/bjj33/billmain.htm

blankslate
9/17/2004 10:47am,
Originally posted by Traditional Tom
Do you have some large teddy bear you would be practising on or something? As far as I can tell, BJJ sounds iike the kind of MA you really do need someone to practise on.

I also practice with a large stuffed bear (white). And my kids.

Beatdown Richie
9/17/2004 10:51am,
Ronin - thanks. Are you talking about the Master Series I, or II, or both? (Getting all of Sperry's stuff means serious money.)

Tom - I have plenty of people to practice on, thank you, and yes, otherwise it would be pretty futile. Teddies are not susceptible to armbars, too flexible joints, believe me, I've tried. It's just that sometimes the instructor goes over a technique, I do it, it works fine, and two weeks later I can't get it anymore. So it would be nice to be able review techniques on my own when I need to.

Traditional Tom
9/17/2004 10:52am,
I'm just wondering, how/who would you review it on?

Beatdown Richie
9/17/2004 10:55am,
> I'm just wondering, how/who would you review it on?
Watch the DVD, memorize the details for a few hours, try later that day.

Traditional Tom
9/17/2004 10:57am,
Try it on what?! thats my only question! argh
No wonder you don't see BJJ doing katas, it would look ridiculous. One has to wonder about the TMA's as well :(

Beatdown Richie
9/17/2004 11:00am,
> Try it on what?! thats my only question! argh
try on the dozens of people in my BJJ school, where else??

Matt W.
9/17/2004 11:05am,
I've got, and am currently trying to work through, Harris' BJJ 101, plus a tape on "Armlocks" (is that 102?). Great stuff, IMO, but I am only a novice (and a dabbler at that) in BJJ/sub wrestling. So, I'm not sure how they'd be for someone more advanced.

Pandinha
9/17/2004 11:57am,
I have Roy Harris's BJJ 101 and 201
Get Jen's Pass the guard series before mario sperry's, which is more advance.

Got tony checchine's leg lock series, very nice.
Also love almost everything of Sebastian Rutten's.

Ender
9/17/2004 12:00pm,
Simco's Master Text is a bit of a mixed bag, in my opinion. There's some good stuff, but it's not laid out very well, and I haven't found anything in it that I couldn't have found elsewhere, for less money. 65 bucks is just too much for one book.

Ronin
9/17/2004 12:02pm,
The advanced stuff is great, but as most here know, its the basics that save your bacon.

mikus
9/17/2004 2:29pm,
If you want something on the triangle choke, I'd get Rigan Machado's book/DVD instructional "The Triangle" or something like that. It covers all the basics of the choke perfectly and also has tons of very good setups. It also has commentary on the DVD of a bunch of BJJ tournaments where the triangle is used. Good stuff.

Also I'd recommend Michael Jen's guard passing tapes and his basic/intermediate open/closed guard tapes. Very good stuff.

Beatdown Richie
9/17/2004 2:54pm,
Thanks everyone for the recommendations.