PDA

View Full Version : Talking with a big guy.

Pages : [1] 2

Ronin
9/15/2004 10:44am,
In conversation with ONE BIG MOFU !!

No names, I haven’t got his ok to post his name, so I will call him MOFU.

After my ST session yesterday, I had a nice phone chat with a buddy of mine.
He is a MT guy, about 6-4 and fights at 260, though he trains at about 280.

I mentioned to him about a few threads here, in regards to the “fast for his size” issue.
He laughed, mentioned how “fast for his size” is like “good body for his age” and neither are a compliment in his eyes.

He said that, while many big guys have fast hands, they don’t hit anywhere near their potential, because they are so concerned about hitting fast, the only thing that moves are their hands and arms, and their bodies “stay behind”.
He gave an example of a mutual “friend” of ours, he is 6-4 too and over 300lbs, he asked me if, when I hold the pads and stuff, I can feel his striking power, I can I said, and how do you compare it to so and so, for example?
It is about the same, even though so and so is about 100lbs lighter.
Yet, MOFU continued, the bigger of our friends has faster hands, shouldn’t he strike harder?
Thing is, like MOFU said, his hands are fast but his body does trail behind.

“That is why”, MOFU continued, “I hit for “power” and not speed, the speed is there, but I set myself up and don’t bother with that “flinging hands crap”.
“That is the reason YOU hit like a mule, your hands are fast, but so is your whole body, always behind your strikes”.

He made a valid point, I think.
We have ALL seen those kenpo clips with 100 shots in 3 seconds, but with so little power that you doubt they could stop a fly.

I have always, because of my size, trained to have ALL my BW behind every shot, but I never really gave it much thought in regards to the “big boys” if they should train like that, I always thought that, since they are slower, the need to concentrate on speed, cause size will always be there, but MAYBE that is not the case, hand speed is essential, but, is “body speed” being neglected??

Thoughts ?

WhiteShark
9/15/2004 10:50am,
Brad Baker is a super heavyweight MT fighter in my area. He is one of the only Heavy amateurs I've ever seen that hits with his whole body as a result his power is phenomenal. I totally agree I see tons of heavys that don't put their weight behind their shots because they are so busy trying to be faster. Also I think a lot of real heavy guys recieve negative training from having to go easy in sparring all the time.

Ronin
9/15/2004 10:57am,
The training thing, is a very valid point.

Leodom
9/15/2004 11:17am,
I think people usually concentrate more of their training in overcoming whatever inherent weakness they may have due to body type. Perhaps a better strategy would be to concentrate more training in taking advantage of inherent strengths due to body type.

Ronin
9/15/2004 11:31am,
Indeed Leodom, care to expande on that?

blankslate
9/15/2004 11:35am,
How would CroCop fit into this equation?

Leodom
9/15/2004 11:36am,
Much as you mentioned, I, being a lightweight guy with puny arms, concentrate on using my whole body in my strikes to maximize power, an inherent weakness of mine. I am naturally very flexible and my speed is OK so I end up training more to overcome the weakness.

I might expect some huge mofu to not concentrate on power as much. Much of the feedback he would likely receive would say that his power is good but that he needs to work on speed, or flexibility. He may then neglect improving his power for increasing speed or flexibility. Training to overcome a weakness (real or perceived).

A stronger strategy might be to concentrate on a strength. If a big guy can improve his power, he may not be the fastest guy in the ring, but one hit may be enough. If a smaller guy concentrates on being faster and has adequate power, he may be able to overwhelm his opponent by the sheer number of strikes.

Both scenarios assume that the weaker portion of the equation is at least adequate enough to be effective.

Ronin
9/15/2004 11:38am,
Yet, this point :
" Perhaps a better strategy would be to concentrate more training in taking advantage of inherent strengths due to body type."

Seems very logical.

Ronin
9/15/2004 11:38am,
Originally posted by blankslate
How would CroCop fit into this equation?

What do you mean?

blankslate
9/15/2004 11:43am,
I would think CroCop is a good example of how a big MOFU should hit and move.

Ronin
9/15/2004 11:47am,
Hmmm, I don't hink he is that big...
But I agree, he does hit and move like someone with KO power should.

Kempocos
9/15/2004 11:54am,
I am 6' 3" 240- 250 depending on how the wife is cooking that week. I find that the statement on light sparring is right on. In sparring light to medium contact I have to hold back my body from the strike to maintain the contct limit, then when hiting the bag I have to work on using the body more in the strike. When you start going over the 260 level as some I train with do I notice that they have trouble moving the body fast enough to keep the body and strike in sync.

**** TMA WORD WARNING **** .... Kata helps in this area getting the person to move using the whole body and not just the limb. As would bag work and shadow boxing.

Ronin
9/15/2004 12:06pm,
Kempocos, in your your training, to you emphasise your strengths or your weaknesses ?

WhiteShark
9/15/2004 12:25pm,
crocop != big MOFO

He's "only" about 210

Ronin
9/15/2004 12:30pm,
Maybe a chart is needed:
Under 150lbs = small
150-200 = Medium
200-250 = Large
250-300 = Big Mofu
300-350 = Big Ass Mofu
350 + = Sumo

Kempocos
9/15/2004 12:49pm,
Originally posted by ronin69
Kempocos, in your your training, to you emphasise your strengths or your weaknesses ?

Currently my weakness, I am working on a more fluid motion to keep te body in sync with the strike at speed. and in doing so my conditioning to combat the age thing, damn 20 something guys and thier speed. I can crush'm when I can catch'm damn speedly little shits.