PDA

View Full Version : Pepper Spray?

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

WingChun Lawyer
9/13/2004 2:39pm,
What do you guys think about it? I was thinking about acquiring one of those small cans and using it as a keyholder. But I really donīt know if it is worth the trouble or not.

I mean, I donīt trust those amazing testimonials given at the sites that sell the stuff, but I would like to have something with me if I ever get in trouble (there are still people in Brazil who attack others with knives or bare handed).

IF some of you used it for self defense, or saw that happen to someone else, please post the story.

And if someone here thinks pepper spray might be worth the trouble of carrying it, please recommend me some brand or some formula, since I am in the dark on this issue.

No, search yields nothing.

And I didnīt know where to put this thread, I donīt think this is exactly off topic.

PS: I donīt want a handgun (I donīt know how to shoot), and I donīt know how to use a knife (and anyway there are laws against blades larger than 10 centimeters in São Paulo).

Ronin
9/13/2004 2:44pm,
Pepper is good on steak, don't forget the salt.

TylerDurden
9/13/2004 2:44pm,
It works, the problem is the little key chain sprayers have NO range. They give a little puff that goes about a foot out from your hand. And it's not the same quality that thepolice have, it's much weaker and watered down. There are larger hand held canisters, about the size of a soda can. Those work pretty well, and have decent range.

WingChun Lawyer
9/13/2004 2:45pm,
And so the derailing starts..."sigh"

WingChun Lawyer
9/13/2004 2:46pm,
Originally posted by TylerDurden
It works, the problem is the little key chain sprayers have NO range. They give a little puff that goes about a foot out from your hand. And it's not the same quality that thepolice have, it's much weaker and watered down. There are larger hand held canisters, about the size of a soda can. Those work pretty well, and have decent range.

So you recommend me only the soda-can size? That would be too big and unwieldy for me to carry around, I am afraid.

TylerDurden
9/13/2004 2:48pm,
True, was just saying that those were effective, where the small ones are not. If the wind is blowing the wrong way and you use one of those little ones you are as likely to get a face full of pepper spray as your attacker is. You would be better off with a folding knife, or ASP baton.

deus ex machina
9/13/2004 2:50pm,
Also, be sure to get quality stuff. Some of the stuff out there is only good enough to make people blink.

But, with anything, you need to learn how to use the pepper spray. I don't know what the situation is over there, but over here there are a couple schools that can teach proper application of pepper spray.

There are also several types of pepper spray: spray or stream I think. I don't know which is better. Definitely do your research though, if you're going to carry pepper spray.

WingChun Lawyer
9/13/2004 2:58pm,
Originally posted by deus ex machina
Also, be sure to get quality stuff. Some of the stuff out there is only good enough to make people blink.

Iīll check out if there is some difference between the stream and the stream. As for the "quality stuff", do you recommend anything? As I said, I am in the dark here.

Up to this point, it seems it is not such a good idea to have it keyholder-sized.

Ronin
9/13/2004 3:02pm,
Maybe you can upgrade to tabasco, or chilli peppers.

edward
9/13/2004 3:04pm,
You don't need soda-can size. You don't need keyholder size.

There is one in-between, that fits on your belt. It's about an inch around and 2 1/2 or 3 inches long.

Make sure you get the strong stuff. Like 10,000 capsicum units or whatever. The type that sprays at least 10 feet.

Man, that stuff hurts. It hurts so bad.

After playing around with mine, in testing it, I got a little bit on my fingers due to overspray, and since it didn't burn, I tried putting a bit on my lip just to see what would happen.

Ouch. Ouch. Ouch. And the stuff lasts for like 25 minutes or something. Man. It seems like it might kill somebody if you got it into their mouth and nose and lungs.

Ronin
9/13/2004 3:10pm,
And don't forget, when it gets taken off you and sprayed into your own face because it was clearly visable to the assailiants, ronin69 told you: "stay home and wash your thong, its a cruel world out there".

LogickBomb
9/13/2004 3:21pm,
Pepper spray doesn't work well on some people, for basically no good reason. Some people can just fight through it. Something to keep in mind.

I'd concur with the idea of getting a small folding baton or something like that, or even a stun gun. You'll lack the range that pepper spray allows, but it's more effective.

Mox_Mox
9/13/2004 3:29pm,
I've heard mixed things on pepper spray. A bail bondsmen I know swears by it and has several fire extinguisher full of the stuff. A cop I use to train with wasn't so hot on it, he said that in his experience if your attacker is really motivated or really hoped up on drugs pepper spray wont stop them.

Ka-Bar
9/13/2004 3:31pm,
Just agreeing with everyone else here. The size edward is referring to is called a Mark III size, at least here in the states, about the size of a toilet paper tube.

OC doesn't work on everyone, whether it's drugs, alcohol, insanity or just plain murdurous rage. And if you spray someone, there's a very good chance you're going to get hit with some blowback. I get blowback almost every time I spray someone, but they're always worse off than I am. :D

punchingdummy
9/13/2004 3:32pm,
Originally posted by TylerDurden

Have heard many stories from LEOs...usually works, but not always. Some guys are just not affected like others.

It probably has some value, but don't let your life depend on it.

Ronin
9/13/2004 3:34pm,
In short, you may look really funny walking home with a canister of pepper spray shoved up your ass.