PDA

View Full Version : UN offices set on fire in Afghanistan

PeedeeShaolin
9/12/2004 12:13pm,
Just like I told you, things are getting nuts in that little far off country, regardless of how "great" the military would like to tell you it is over there.

An Afghani governor, Ismail Kahn, was ousted by U.S. surrogate dictator Hamid Karzai, leading to the deaths of 7 people and violent protests in Herat.

Hundreds of demonstrators ransacked the UN compound on Sunday, setting fire to parts of the buildings and throwing stones, reports say.

US and government troops helped staff to reach safety and tried to keep back the crowds with tear gas.

The compound houses offices of the UN High Commissioner for Refugees and the UN Assistance Mission.

Witnesses reported bursts of gunfire as smoke from burning cars and other wreckage rose over the centre of Herat.

Two people are said to have been killed in protests overnight.

A doctor at Herat's central hospital said seven protesters' bodies had been brought in on Sunday, according to Reuters

Kahn has ruled Herat for decades and led the mujahideen against the Soviets in that part of the country.

Mr Khan declined a low-profile ministerial post offered by the president after his dismissal on Saturday.

News of his sacking brought protesters into the streets, with demonstrators gathering in the city centre during the afternoon to chant "Death to Karzai, death to Americans". Afghan soldiers are said to have fired warning shots.

Eyewitnesses said framed pictures of President Karzai were smashed in the street.

In a separate clash, protesters pelted a US military vehicle with stones and troops also fired warning shots.

Just like I told you, things are heating up.......

Deadpan Scientist
9/12/2004 1:23pm,
the UN should really do something about their office being on fire.

PeedeeShaolin
9/12/2004 1:27pm,
They'd have to kill most tof the Muslims in Afghanistan to do that. The world is still one elction away from being able to burn alive random muslims at will.

Deadpan Scientist
9/12/2004 1:31pm,
I was thinking more along the lines of getting a fire truck. Those are so red and shiny.

PeedeeShaolin
9/12/2004 1:56pm,
Just like dead and bloody Muslims! Coincidence?

Freddy
9/12/2004 3:08pm,
Originally posted by brandeissansoo
I was thinking more along the lines of getting a fire truck. Those are so red and shiny.

Too funny!:p

Jenfucius
9/12/2004 5:56pm,
we must change the constitution and make arnold president for life to quell the insurrections