PDA

View Full Version : Starting BJJ again sucks

Pages : [1] 2

Ignorant
9/11/2004 5:23pm,
The worst thing about starting BJJ again is having to go through the humility factor all over again.....in a way its kind of like riding a bike and you dont really forget it but its a matter of getting back into shape. I still manage to run every day and do cals ( i even made up some BJJ reutines i do on the mat at home by myself)......but even this cant prepare you for actually wrestling for about 10 minutes.....i cant wait till i get conditioned again and back where i was.....anyone else take a break from the MA scene for a year or more and then try to get back into it? i suppose im asking grapplers here more than anything else.

deus ex machina
9/11/2004 5:28pm,
I took a 6 month break. I threw up during the first class back. It's a humbling experience for sure.

OC Kid
9/13/2004 9:52am,
10 year break. Been back for over a year. its not to bad. But now I dont have all the time I did before (3 kids) to busy. but it will come. Like everything else MA is ya get out of it what ya put into it. im back training cuz Im training my son right now and soon his sisters.

PoleFighter
9/13/2004 12:46pm,
Moved to Paris for seven months (which was kind of good since I got some time to think about what I really wanted out of my martial arts). Started up BJJ a week ago, and my conditioning is ass. I used to be able to do a 2 hour kung-fu session no sweat (my teachers where big on conditioning), and now I´m sweating after our 10 minute warmup. I still think its a blast though.. got my first RNCs on another beginner today in sparring.

Pandinha
9/13/2004 12:48pm,
Been out since June from Judo due to injuries and life in general.

I'm itching to start up BJJ again, actually MMA now, since it's an MMA school. But still need to heal.

KhorneliusPraxx
9/13/2004 1:27pm,
Damn, it's really gonna suck for me since my first real class is tomorrow.

xNathanx
9/13/2004 9:20pm,
thank you all, I read this before going to BJJ tonight, so fortunatly I was prepared when I had to leave to go to the bathroom and throw up. It's only been one month since I last rolled too. I learned a lesson though, here in New Brunswick we have these things called "greese trucks" that serve a wide variety of sandwiches, my personal favorite is the "fat mom", a cheesesteak, egg, bacon, mayo, french fries, and lettuce. This is not good training food and should not be eaten everynight for dinner, also, wendy's chicken sandwiches are not a good breakfast, smoking is bad, and you should drink something besides cherry coke. Starting now I'm done smoking anything and I'm going to pay attention to what I eat. On the plus side I went from 136 pounds to 138 pounds in four days.

HackingYodel
9/13/2004 11:04pm,
Originally posted by xNathanx
thank you all, I read this before going to BJJ tonight, so fortunatly I was prepared when I had to leave to go to the bathroom and throw up. It's only been one month since I last rolled too. I learned a lesson though, here in New Brunswick we have these things called "greese trucks" that serve a wide variety of sandwiches, my personal favorite is the "fat mom", a cheesesteak, egg, bacon, mayo, french fries, and lettuce. This is not good training food and should not be eaten everynight for dinner, also, wendy's chicken sandwiches are not a good breakfast, smoking is bad, and you should drink something besides cherry coke. Starting now I'm done smoking anything and I'm going to pay attention to what I eat. On the plus side I went from 136 pounds to 138 pounds in four days.

Man @ 138 pounds, I'd say eat all the "fat moms" you like. Unless you're 3'2", that is.

Red Elvis
9/14/2004 12:27am,
I’ve had the pleasure of doing this a number of times due to injuries and/or work related absences over the years. I actually just started again after taking almost a 2-½ year break. The bad part is that you are weak, you generally puke or at least feel like it and you can’t do techniques that you know how to do because you are breathing like Fat Albert on top of Mount Everest. The good part, which is my favorite, is going back with a crap load of random people who have no idea who you are and watching the progression as it unfolds over the course of a month or so. At first when you roll they seem to do well but get frustrated when they can’t seem to submit the “new guy” who is breathing heavy and seems powerless after 3 minutes of rolling. Then, they get frustrated when the “new guy” is still breathing heavy but starting to take dominant positions, still not tapping and is actually starting to consistently tap them. Finally, it’s cool when they start getting treated like red headed step children by the “new guy” who can not only dominate them, tap them at will but who begins to “play ball” with them. (Playing ball btw is a term we use when you roll and you just flow from one finishing move to the next without actually tapping the person so as to keep the action going.) Currently I’m at stage one still… i.e., no one except a few guys knows who I am but all I can seem to do is keep from being tapped and try not to puke on the guy I’m rolling with. Damn this part sucks!!

Kidnemo
9/14/2004 9:03am,
The feeling like I'm gonna puke thing sucks.

I look forward to getting to the point where I don't feel like that nearly every class.

xNathanx
9/14/2004 10:32am,
Originally posted by HackingYodel
Man @ 138 pounds, I'd say eat all the "fat moms" you like. Unless you're 3'2", that is.

That was my original plan, but once I realized how much they made me feel like ****, I figured I should lay off a little bit.

PizDoff
9/14/2004 4:47pm,
WTF is wrong with all of you?
I LOOK FORWARD to working until I nearly throw up and pass out. (Can be separate events.)

Then again I'm a self-destructive masochist.

Originally posted by KhorneliusPraxx
Damn, it's really gonna suck for me since my first real class is tomorrow.

Yeap, that's the good attitude to have. You weakling.

xero
9/14/2004 5:49pm,
You must be really inactive to be pushed to the point of throwing up after a return back. I go back tonite after a 2 month layoff of BJJ due to dislocated elbow. I rolled last throwdown as was nowhere near throwing up.

PUMP SOME IRON SISSIES!

Kidnemo
9/14/2004 9:09pm,
Originally posted by PizDoff
WTF is wrong with all of you?
I LOOK FORWARD to working until I nearly throw up and pass out. (Can be separate events.)

Then again I'm a self-destructive masochist.

I love getting a good work out, I just hate the sick to my stomach feeling that I get if I go for too long.

Irons
9/14/2004 9:52pm,
I learned a lesson though, here in New Brunswick we have these things called "greese trucks"

Hey, Im assuming youre at RU? Have you been to the bjj club there? I was looking into trying it out to supplement my regular bjj class, but every time I email someone from their club page, I get an error and the email sent back to me

Heres the webpage I was using:

Link (http://www.eden.rutgers.edu/~gregj/BJJ/)

and this one:

Link (http://recreation.rutgers.edu/sportclubs/clublist.html)

KhorneliusPraxx
9/15/2004 7:35am,
Referring to the second link...

Salsa and Ballroom Dancing are NOT sports. Geeez Louieeez!