PDA

View Full Version : Mildly amusing Kenpo videos

Pages : [1] 2 3

OneWingedAngel
9/10/2004 4:47pm,
While it is no suprise that something associated with the kenpo name ends up being bullshido, I did think these videos were funny.

http://www.akki.com/_videos/index.htm

My favorite is how in the first couple the guy gets hit, then spins completely around. Either that's some massive hitting(for demonstration purposes), or the guys exagerating. I wonder which.

I also love the "rolling thunder" manuever, also known as bridge and roll. Now, not that I have anything against guys taking bjj and using it in there style. I just love how on the site they say it was completely developed by their systems principals, as opposed to spending ten minutes with a bjj student.

Xango
9/10/2004 5:06pm,
Hey OneWing, whatever happened to your 'no-touch' seminar writeup? I put that hightlight clip up for ya and everything. Your public wants to know!

OneWingedAngel
9/10/2004 5:08pm,
Work, liscensing courses, and the stolenness of the video that had the full seminar on it to comment on. Once I get the video back, I'll be able to write it up. Hopefully soon, or I'm gonna have to kill some of my friends.

xero
9/10/2004 5:09pm,
You know BJJ didn't invent everything. Its not some exclusive manuever. With that logic we could have a huge cluster **** argument about who invented the punch, kick, trip, etc and who is just borrowing it.

OneWingedAngel
9/10/2004 5:14pm,
Originally posted by xero
You know BJJ didn't invent everything. Its not some exclusive manuever. With that logic we could have a huge cluster **** argument about who invented the punch, kick, trip, etc and who is just borrowing it.

Thank you for pointing out the obvious. If you'd notice, however, on the site, they talk about progressive manipulation, and torque, and all that, as if they did some long scientific study to develop this move, which is basically "oh ****, someones on top of me, I better get him off." They also advocate trying to "discover" ground applications, which is fine, but it's the same old "see, we had grappling all along" you see from every tma.

Xango
9/10/2004 5:15pm,
Originally posted by OneWingedAngel
Work, liscensing courses, and the stolenness of the video that had the full seminar on it to comment on. Once I get the video back, I'll be able to write it up. Hopefully soon, or I'm gonna have to kill some of my friends.

You wants me to pummel 'em for ya, boss?

Cool cool, I'm a busy bastard myself. Man, we gotta get something digital at the next Throwdown, either that, or some sort of shock-collar for your procrastinatin buddies.

OneWingedAngel
9/10/2004 5:17pm,
Originally posted by Xango
You wants me to pummel 'em for ya, boss?

Cool cool, I'm a busy bastard myself. Man, we gotta get something digital at the next Throwdown, either that, or some sort of shock-collar for your procrastinatin buddies.

Tell me about it. My buddy asked if he could borrow it to show to a friend of his, assuring me it would be delivered back to me the next day(I told him I needed it to write up a review). This was over a month ago. If I don't get it back by monday, I'll just write it up from memory.

Voltan
9/10/2004 5:29pm,
Mildly amusing indeed.

I like the club drills where they tell you to turn up the sound to make everything seem more impressive:
It's that or people'll see that the dude's just doing 4 count on a water bag and switching to a 6 count variation later (something kali/jkd guys do in the first few weeks of double stick...).

And...hey! How come that guy who got knocked down by the hook was holding his chest?

Cheers,

Voltan

Wounded Ronin
9/10/2004 6:01pm,
I like how in the "Rolling Thunder" clip the guy who bridges at the end of the clip gets up and starts dancing.

tai-gip
9/10/2004 9:09pm,
in the akki club dril clip end position seems to be a double strike similar to a khan sao from wing chun...gotta love the three cut pattern.... looks much better with butterfly swords with flags tied on

and who would have thought you could knock someone out by hitting them in the side of the neck.
and why wave your hands three times to hit once...is he powering up or something

Azteca
9/10/2004 11:00pm,
I absolutley despise when the volunteer goes down like a crying little girl to show how devastating a technique is when the more cynical of the bunch just yells out Bullshido.

I still do beleive that AK is an effective MA style but far from perfect like every other fighting style but thats just life at its finest.

stillkicking
9/10/2004 11:23pm,
Originally posted by Wounded Ronin
I like how in the "Rolling Thunder" clip the guy who bridges at the end of the clip gets up and starts dancing.

*Laughs* Oh ****...that's Irish Thunder dawg. Lord of the dance goes full contact.

SK

bushi51
9/10/2004 11:25pm,
I like knockout #1, where the guy grabs the catcher's sleeve at the end....thats cool since he is unconscious and all.

Azteca
9/10/2004 11:29pm,
I think he muttered "Out of my cold dead hands."

stillkicking
9/10/2004 11:31pm,
I love the write up for that clip. Espescially this bit:

"Mr. Jacob was not injured in the application of this technique."

No doubt.

SK

Rashomon
9/10/2004 11:51pm,
<sigh>

Not impressed at all.

The blocks? What was he blocking? The guy was just HOLDING his arm out there.

The knockdowns? Who could't knock someone down if they merely put their arm on you and then just stand there wide open?

Same thing for the knockouts. Let someone give me a free shot like that and I'LL knock them out, too.

That's all good stuff if your oponent is one of those highschool morons that will trade shots with you... and let you go first. Other than that, I'm not impressed.

Let's see homeboy try that out against someone actually resisting or hitting back.