PDA

View Full Version : My friend is a huge weiner.

Pages : [1] 2 3

Macistani
9/06/2004 1:06am,
Ok, I'm a dirty, dirty n00b. I've lurked for a while, but now I want to vent.

I've got a friend who does Kenpo but his instructor has him under this spell of t3h s3cr3t d3adly techniques.

He won't spar...ever...

He won't even talk about his training now...ever...because it is for self defense only.

I'm very open about what I practice, I'll show anyone anything unless their total choads. He knows this and every now and then he'll ask me about something his instructor told him to do or I'll catch him doing something dumb.

Example: He wanted to get a rolling pin to use on shins because it would toughen them up like MT fighters do. I gave the usual "That's retarded" speech. That's about the tone of it.

I think this super-secret instructor is filling his head with BS and bad ideas and false confidence. I know I'm the suck at martial arts, but I figure one good sparring session might show him the error of his ways, but since I can't get him to do that, I'm lost.

Blah, that was a pointless ramble. Short version:

My friend seems to have a really bad instructor and fallen under the lure of "secret deadly nonsense." How can I convince him that this MA is a BAD idea?

Macistani
9/06/2004 1:07am,
Another Example: He's convinced that an eye-flick will stop a drunken angry redneck during a brawl. NONSENSE I SAY!

Of course, I'm not a mystical blackbelt, so my opinion is under that of his instructor.

Deadpan Scientist
9/06/2004 1:10am,
You are a good friend to care so much about his training. Maybe you should rent the UFC and make some Bagna Calda for when he comes over to watch. It would be a swell time for all I'm sure.

MUT
9/06/2004 1:16am,
I agree you're friend is a weiner.

Antagony
9/06/2004 1:19am,
Seeing MMA fights is what made me a believer in these types of no-nonsense arts. It might help him as well.

Also with people like him it sometimes helps to come up with a sort of "exercise" to show that some of his beliefs are bullshit.

For example, (I made a thread about this incident), I was showing a guy that eye gouges and penis grabs are often impractical and ineffective by setting up an exercise that allowed him to try those techniques on me.

Macistani
9/06/2004 1:34am,
We watched a dog brothers video the other day, he said "That's not Martial Arts" and left in the middle of it.

He has some kendo shinia(how the hell do spell that?) that he likes to spar with -- which is ok since it isn't his secret deadly art. He wanted to know how I was able to continually beat the crap out of him with it, so I showed him the only FMAish video I have.

I think he'd have a similar reaction to any legit "kickboxing" style stuff.

I really wouldn't care if his art was BS or not if it was just BS. But the instructor gives me the creeps and he's giving really bad advice. (Like...Iron palm training, the rolling pin thing, and telling him that he'll be able to kick trees down like an MT guy)

He usually asks me about straight kickboxing stuff, so some of the BS gets cleared that way. I swear, he was gonna go try and kick down an oak tree before I explained about bannana trees and such. I'm kinda worried he's gonna do something stupid based on what this instructor says.

Now, I'm tempted to just challenge the instructor, but I think I wouldn't be up to it, and if I lost it would just do more damage by giving him more credit. (I'm a dirty, dirty n00b in the world of MA, but I have decent BS meter and a good teacher)

I AM SO FRUSTRATED. I KNOW SOMEDAY HE'S GONNA DO SOMETHING STUPID LIKE TRY A BREAKFALL OFF THE ROOF BECAUSE OF SOMETHING THIS DOUCHE OF AN INSTRUCTOR SAYS.

Deadpan Scientist
9/06/2004 1:38am,
Maybe you should talk to your instructor about your situation. He has probably dealt with this kind of thing before

Omega Supreme
9/06/2004 1:46am,
Originally posted by Macistani
Ok, I'm a dirty, dirty n00b. I've lurked for a while, but now I want to vent.

I've got a friend who does Kenpo but his instructor has him under this spell of t3h s3cr3t d3adly techniques.

He won't spar...ever...

He won't even talk about his training now...ever...because it is for self defense only.

I'm very open about what I practice, I'll show anyone anything unless their total choads. He knows this and every now and then he'll ask me about something his instructor told him to do or I'll catch him doing something dumb.

Example: He wanted to get a rolling pin to use on shins because it would toughen them up like MT fighters do. I gave the usual "That's retarded" speech. That's about the tone of it.

I think this super-secret instructor is filling his head with BS and bad ideas and false confidence. I know I'm the suck at martial arts, but I figure one good sparring session might show him the error of his ways, but since I can't get him to do that, I'm lost.

Blah, that was a pointless ramble. Short version:

My friend seems to have a really bad instructor and fallen under the lure of "secret deadly nonsense." How can I convince him that this MA is a BAD idea?

You sir are a fucking idiot. Your mom just called and said you've been very bad, go sit in the fucking corner. Hey I noticed all the initials you have for your styles. BJJ-MT-JKD-FMA. What happened to DGF for Don't give a ****. How about SSH for stupid **** head. Or better yet. STFUYFFFF for shut the **** up you fucking fuckin **** ****.

Welcome to bullshido.

More to the point he's probably not taking real kempo considering most of the real stuff like to throw down hard. ie Hackleman, Flores, and Peoples. He just beat the crap out of him to prove your point. heh, arrange for a real fight with a drunk guy.

iamamonster
9/06/2004 3:20am,
maybe you can invite him to your club and train with you

The Coach
9/06/2004 5:56am,
Ya, kick his ass...in a sparring match :D

manchuria
9/06/2004 6:00am,
my huge weiner is my freind

Transcendent Sunchips
9/06/2004 9:31am,
Do it the Omega way: Tough Love

Just beat the crap out of your friend, plain and simple. Once he submits, tell him how lucky he was that you're his friend and not some angry asshole. If he complains that you did it when he wasn't ready, tell him "Tough ****. These attacks happen when you're least prepared. Where was your kempo SD?"

You'll either convert him to train with more realism and less magic or you'll make him really paranoid around you. Either way, it's win-win.

Wounded Ronin
9/06/2004 9:34am,
(sings)

Oh, I am an Oscar Meyer weiner......

Hondo
9/06/2004 11:19am,
I had three thoughts about how to deal with this situation. The only one not yet mentioned is going to his club. You don't have to walk in and say, "Bring it on you bunch of faggots!" You can call first and politely make an appointment with the instructor.

When you show up, pretend that you are sincerely interested in the style. Be forthright regarding your previous/current training. If the instructor questions your motives, simply explain that your friend is so satisfied with the system and training that you HAD to see what all the fuss was about.

After class, you can respectfully ask some questions of the instructor.
-Where do you train?
-What do you feel are the strengths and weaknesses of your system?
-A mixture of grappling and striking has become very popular in th emartial arts community. How does your system compare to such hybrid fighting styles?
-Some people have suggested that combatives training is the most effective way to train for self-defense. What do you think about this assertion?

Depending on what you observe in the class, you could ask follow-up questions.
-What do you think about sparring?
-What do you think about training against resistance?
-How many different hand strikes do I need to effectively defend myself?
-How does kata help me better defend myself?
-How do you defend against _________?

If the guy is really a punk, you could just say, "Prove it, bitch."

Jo Vale Tudo
9/06/2004 1:02pm,
Concerning the rolling pin, I've seen pros do it and reccomend it and I've also seen pros not do it and advise against it. I tried it for a bit then I went back to just kicking the hard banana bag.

Billy Havoc
9/06/2004 2:26pm,
beat up his teacher. really.