PDA

View Full Version : Jiu-Jitsu or Judo

Traditional Tom
9/04/2004 6:45pm,
In October I will be joining my old dojo.
(mostly because the boxing gym is too far away, sadly, otherwise I would stick with that).

Now I took Karate for a little while, but after taking boxing, I've really realised it has very little application value (there are moves that I will forever-more be training in MA, but many that Ill be tossing out the window). So I was curious as to what these board members would recommend.

I'm pretty sure its just Japanese Jiu-Jitsu (not bjj, sadly).
Teachers are Sensei Gauthier/ Sensei Tonon (if that helps at all).

-Tom

Deadpan Scientist
9/04/2004 6:50pm,
judo

Traditional Tom
9/04/2004 6:53pm,
can you give me some reasons/explanation for that decision, thats the whole point of the topic.

LogickBomb
9/04/2004 7:27pm,
I'd say jiu-jitsu, because of the more extensive groundwork.

mikus
9/04/2004 8:21pm,
"I'm pretty sure its just Japanese Jiu-Jitsu (not bjj, sadly)." - Traditional Tom

Traditional Tom
9/04/2004 9:20pm,
...?

mikus
9/04/2004 9:55pm,
In response to LogickBomb.

Traditional Tom
9/04/2004 9:57pm,
ahhh, now I understand

Te No Kage!
9/04/2004 10:09pm,
I like judo because it's grounded in a lot of basics, in particular stand-up clinch and throw and ne waza. Ne waza may be better in BJJ, but I think judo is pretty good if you have no experience at all. The biggest plus is probably the randori (free sparring) where in traditional Japanese Jujutsu schools you really don't get any of that. You never know, if they have randori in that JJJ school, it may be very similar to judo, but in all likelihood it's not.

Hondo
9/04/2004 10:11pm,
I suggest going with Judo because it generally incorporates more "aliveness" than JJJ.

chaosexmachina
9/05/2004 1:03am,
Go with judo. It'll make you a killah! ;)

Spunky
9/05/2004 3:10am,
JJJ schools vary a lot in style and training methods, so its worth getting more information on their background when comparing it to judo (which seems to have a much more consistent standard of quality).

Jujutsu is potentially better suited for incorporating weapons, and in my opinion the competitive attitude in judo--for all its strengths in training intenstiy--tends to assume level one-on-one situations. This point isn't so significant since most ruffians and hooligans aren't judoka :) so it will still serve you quite well.

I do think that dealing with the the use or potential posession of weapons by both the offensive and defensive parties is a significant quality about good jujutsu schools that is often overlooked when comparing it to sport-based alternatives, which WILL probably make you a better "fighter" in a shorter time frame.

Jekyll
9/05/2004 4:50am,
Go to both, If they do alot of wrestling + sparring in the jujitsu consider staying otherwise judo.

------------------------------

Jujutsu is potentially better suited for incorporating weapons, and in my opinion the competitive attitude in judo--for all its strengths in training intenstiy--tends to assume level one-on-one situations. This point isn't so significant since most ruffians and hooligans aren't judoka so it will still serve you quite well.
-------------------------------

The last time I got a black eye it was from being pinned down by two judoka while a third kicked me in the head<g>.

Training accident my arse.

Hannibal
9/05/2004 4:59am,
It all comes down to the individual dojo.

HOW they train. You can't really make a blanket generalisation thet a Judo school is better than a Ju Jutsu one. I say go for the one with the hardest training.

Traditional Tom
9/05/2004 6:24am,
I like the feedback I've been getting, I'll check out the Judo one first, because I know they do a fair amount of throwing each other around-ness.
Plus, I can always learn the almight-Judo chop! :D