PDA

View Full Version : I'm going to join a new school...

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

Apostol
9/03/2004 8:10am,
...and it's fricking amazing.

They have BJJ, Muay Thai, JKD, Kali, and boxing. No website, but it sounds pretty damn good. Anyway, I'm checking it out tonight.

WhiteShark
9/03/2004 8:43am,
Seriously? or are you trying to get us to say "I told you so." over and over?

OneWingedAngel
9/03/2004 8:44am,
Where at, and with who? Aren't you in Illinois?

Roidie McDouchebag
9/03/2004 8:48am,
Good...but like WS said...it is very tempting to make fun of you at this point, hehehe.

grond
9/03/2004 10:46am,
What happened to your hsing-i? :)

Apostol
9/03/2004 11:54am,
Heck yes it's real. I found it in a Muay Thai directory. It's called the Aiki Training Hall, and it's in Skokie, IL.

I'm not ditching hsing yi by far, it's too awesome of a system, however the training methods at my school won't teach me to fight.

Aesopian
9/03/2004 11:55am,
Originally posted by Apostol
I'm not ditching hsing yi by far, it's too awesome of a system, however the training methods at my school won't teach me to fight.

Aren't these mutually exclusive statements?

Apostol
9/03/2004 12:00pm,
Originally posted by Aesopian
Aren't these mutually exclusive statements?

No, it makes perfect sense. The system kicks absolute ass, but the training methods we do aren't so hot. There is freesparring, but not until you're well into the system, and I don't like that.

OneWingedAngel
9/03/2004 1:04pm,
Heck yes it's real. I found it in a Muay Thai directory. It's called the Aiki Training Hall, and it's in Skokie, IL.

Ok, so not my school.

Omar
9/03/2004 3:57pm,
I'm not ditching hsing yi by far, it's too awesome of a system, however the training methods at my school won't teach me to fight. [/B]

What's up with all the '???????????' and other laughter at this comment?

Is there really anyone here who isn't able to make a distinction between a style and the way a school trains? Seems like there's been plenty here who've seen shitty Jujitsu schools. And Osirus, you should talk, you do TKD!

Omar
9/03/2004 4:18pm,
Talk to Jen. His Xing Yi teacher used to fight Sanda. They're full contact all the way.

Apostol, ignorant as he is, was supposedly learning Xing Yi, which is the one "internal" TCMA that is GENERALLY known for training figthers. 90% of the training is supposed to be just practicing 5 different attacks which are all punches with potential grappling applications. Xing Yi gusy, of all the fruity CMA are the ones who typically like to just PUNCH PUNCH PUNCH + crowd the opponent, stepping between his legs and ****.

Ask around a bit. Whenever someone tries to find an internal MA to study but is worried that they won't be able to fight for 10 years, the usual response from the TCMA community is to reccomend Xing Yi.

Apostol
9/03/2004 5:04pm,
Originally posted by Osiris
Xing yi trained for fighting may be badass. I don't know or really care. However, when one trains to fight, the system is trimmed and modified for maximum results. As the fighting art progresses, the system improves. However, if you come froma long line of instructers who know jack **** about fighting, the system will relect that as his xing yi (and apparently his judo too) likely refelects.

Um, no, I've fought both my JJ and Xing Yi instructors and they kicked my ass, and everyone else at the school gets their ass kicked also, no matter what system they come from, whether it be MMA or a TKD McDojo. Speaking of mcdojos, some TKD master joined our xing yi school, and he likes to do his spinny kicks in the air. Kinda funny.

Dochter
9/03/2004 5:06pm,
So because someone can kick your ass they are badass and qualified to teach? Sign me up.

If I suck at something and teach people to do what I suck at and compare my ability at the thing we suck at, what do you think is the likely result?

Apostol
9/03/2004 5:25pm,
Originally posted by Dochter
So because someone can kick your ass they are badass and qualified to teach? Sign me up.

If I suck at something and teach people to do what I suck at and compare my ability at the thing we suck at, what do you think is the likely result?

Woah, you were real quick there, son.

...but not quick enough.

My Xing Yi master could literally pick up someone 2x his size and throw them across the room. There are people that do MMA, western boxing, BJJ, and various things, and they all get their ass kicked. That's just how it works..

Dochter
9/03/2004 5:29pm,
Bullshit. He may do throws on them etc. that of course is different.

Regardless, his kicking your ass means squat. As for the other people, well son, your unverified, anecdotal and implausable account is good enough for me.

MaverickZ
9/03/2004 5:32pm,
apostol, you need to stop talking **** about TKD, you got your ass beat by a fucking WTF TKD punch of all things. that qualifies you as bottom shelf wuss. (i would have called you bottom shelf *****, but then i realized i like *****, and i am really starting to dislike you)