PDA

View Full Version : FORGIVENESS

Pages : [1] 2

baltasargracian
9/02/2004 11:02am,

Ronin
9/02/2004 11:08am,
I think you have the right idea, why fight back ? your ass kicking will only get worse, if you are gonna lose the fight, might as well roll over and play dead.
Yep, just let them beat on you till they are tired and feel sorry for you.
Never underestimate the power of pity.

SamHarber
9/02/2004 11:08am,
Originally posted by baltasargracian

For everyone else, what is your opinion of this phrase/concept/idea?
I personally believe in it very strongly, as I also believe that "violence begets violence", and that "an eye for an eye, leaves the whole world blind" (as someone here used as thier sig if im corrrect).

Its a gross oversimplification, but in the example you give, you did what you thought was the right thing.
I prefer "Take responsibility for your own actions" as my personal philosophy.

Traditional Tom
9/02/2004 11:13am,
Stop being a *****, they can't eye gouge you if you take out BOTH eyes.

Cannonfodder
9/02/2004 11:24am,
"an eye for an eye, leaves the whole world blind" (as someone here used as thier sig
if im correct"

FYI: Thats a quote from Mahatma Ghandi.

I guess if the person giving you G is bigger than you its always best to air on the side of caution :) and try and talk him down ..if its a pint sized punk then lay the smack down on the little bitch ;)
*apologies to those readers who are vertically challenged*

baltasargracian
9/02/2004 11:27am,
Originally posted by ronin69
I think you have the right idea, why fight back ? your ass kicking will only get worse, if you are gonna lose the fight, might as well roll over and play dead.
Yep, just let them beat on you till they are tired and feel sorry for you.
Never underestimate the power of pity.

**** man your right, what the **** am I on about.

baltasargracian
9/02/2004 11:28am,
sorry everyone.

Gelid Light
9/02/2004 11:29am,
You won't get through to these macho fantasists, Baltasar Gracian.

zenbert
9/02/2004 11:31am,
it's difficult to focus on the broad question you have. for some people, the concept of "violence begets violence" etc is philosophical but i believe at some level and at some point for a fighter it becomes a practical consideration.

i'll just briefly touch upon an idea: humans are instinctive like animals, when you project an aura, whether it's facial expression, a threatening gesture, or project your ki (*cough*), you're challenging your opponent, fueling aggression. an experience fighter less likely to show their intention or where to place to blow before an attack, which is more likely to get the job done. That is, subdue their opponent, knock their teeth out, etc.

bottom-line, the point is valid but relative to the person and intepretation

Roidie McDouchebag
9/02/2004 11:39am,
I think that play dead thing only works with someone who doesn't really want to hurt you...if they do, they will, and it will be FAR worse than if you tried to defend yourself. I also think forgiveness has very little to do with this...fighting for me is not an angry activity, it only happens when it is necessary, if it isn't necessary I will not be there, either I'll just avoid the situation, or if confronted, run away, only if those options are exhausted do I fight. However, defending yourself sometimes does mean curling into the fetal position, like if a bunch of people are kicking you and you're on the ground...not much else to do without the damage only getting worse...but that certainly is not the best defence for most situations.

As far as forgiveness goes, I think it, and the eye-for-an-eye thing are not mutually exclusive, you can forgive someone and still punish them. Some things, like say raping a child, are perhaps forgiveable, but not forgettable, and must be dealt with, if someone proves they're a danger to society, they must be removed from it.

Traditional Tom
9/02/2004 11:57am,
You could just castrate them

Ronin
9/02/2004 12:05pm,
Originally posted by I Choke You

As far as forgiveness goes, I think it, and the eye-for-an-eye thing are not mutually exclusive, you can forgive someone and still punish them. Some things, like say raping a child, are perhaps forgiveable, but not forgettable, and must be dealt with, if someone proves they're a danger to society, they must be removed from it.

The one thing that I would never forgive NOR forget.

Moleculo
9/02/2004 12:15pm,
Your chances of drop-kicking the elderly man who accidentally got in front of you in line at the grocery store are directly proportional to your lack of self esteem and your surplus of testosterone.

baltasargracian
9/02/2004 12:16pm,
Well yeah, as it goes.

I was kind of thinking about escalating situations where there still is choice/option to diffuse, and also situations that require the prescence of specific sets of interactions and responses to effectively escalate into fights.

not ttrying to be philosophical or moral/spiritual, just the the idea of forgiveness as a tool for self protection in real life.

I guess this is like posting a thread on "psychotically vicious eye gouging and biting" on a healing forum.

Moleculo
9/02/2004 12:16pm,
...And to that old man: I'm sorry!

WingChun Lawyer
9/02/2004 12:26pm,
Originally posted by ronin69
The one thing that I would never forgive NOR forget.

Amen. About the topic at hand...interesting idea. Brazilians have developed this self defense technique to the level of an art, as befits people whose attackers are likely to be packing.

That is, only stupid people here do not try to calm down a situation, and/or try to react in a violent situation, because you never know if the other guy is alone and/or packing.