PDA

View Full Version : Do we need a successor?

Miguksaram
1/07/2003 7:19pm,
Recently in TKDTimes, there was an article wth GM Ji, Han-jae of HKD. In this article it talked about how he was the root of all the HKD that is alive today. Within this article there was another person who claims to be the man who will take over for GM Ji. However, it has already been confirmed by GM Ji that this is not so.

Now my question remains is that do we honestly need to name a successor to our art? It seems this causes more damage to the art than help it. Back in the old day a GM would hand down his system to his best senior. This was done without question or altercations. Now when this happens people, who don't respect the GM's decision, break off from the norm, form their own organization and claim to teach the GM's "true art" (ie. Wing Chun vs Ving Tsun) Who is right and who is wrong? Neither.

We all precieve something due to our backgrounds, upbringing, religion, etc.. With that in mind, I believe we need to do away with the successor system. When I teach my students I want them to take what I teach them, adapt it to their needs and run with it. I pray none of my students will be exactly like me...I pray they will be better.

Jeremy M. Talbott
http://www.homestead.com/koreanma/index.html
http://www.geocities.com/jns1994/MSA.html

Jamoke
1/07/2003 7:24pm,
good thread, Jeremy!

"If attacked fight, and fight to kill"

I Give BJJs
1/07/2003 7:34pm,
TKDTimes......LOL

Miguksaram
1/08/2003 2:17pm,
Thank you for that meaningless input BJJ. Now can we get some intellectual view points on the topic at hand?

Jeremy M. Talbott
http://www.homestead.com/koreanma/index.html
http://www.geocities.com/jns1994/MSA.html

Kempocos
1/08/2003 2:50pm,
great point, There still maybe a need for some type of leadership to keep the core of the system intact. Trad. m.a. is based on maintaining tradition.

EAT SLEEP TRAIN

Kempocos
great point, There still maybe a need for some type of leadership to keep the core of the system intact. Trad. m.a. is based on maintaining tradition.

EAT SLEEP TRAIN

Kempocos

EAT SLEEP TRAIN

Kempocos

EAT SLEEP TRAIN

Kempocos

EAT SLEEP TRAIN

Kempocos

EAT SLEEP TRAIN

Kempocos

EAT SLEEP TRAIN

Kempocos
1/08/2003 2:52pm,
sorry dropped headphones on keyboard - hangs head in shame, backs away from keyboard

EAT SLEEP TRAIN

rmclain
1/08/2003 3:09pm,
Hi Jeremy,

Great question.

It seems important that a successor is named - someone that has trained closely with the teacher/founder for many years. Ideally, this would continue the art as close as possible to the founder's development if he were still alive. This person(successor) can serve as a "reference" for other students of the art - which can help squelch out any squabling between lower-ranked instructors and students as to which "way" is correct.

How would the Founder, from his background and experience, have wanted the art to evolve? That, of course, is speculation, but ideally his closest student would be closest able to answer it.

It seems nowadays, that more people are interested in being given a title/certificate or persuing their own personal interests than practicing and sweating to evolve the original art to a higher level.

I really don't know who will be successor for Ji Han Jae. Maybe he doesn't really either, which could be why he has traveled lately to Korea in attempts to unify Hapkido. I know he has senior practicioners around the world, but I don't know how close they are with him anymore. He's had many students over the years, including myself. I've had the experience to practice as his partner and hip throw him to the floor. He is a great example to set to those students that would rather mud-sling, than practice.

Ultimately, the art belongs to the people that train and sweat - not the politicians or businessmen that would bend the art to suit their own purpose. But, I believe it is important to have a "senior" that continues to sweat and train as reference for the students with less knowledge of the art they study.

Robert McLain

SamHarber
1/08/2003 3:53pm,
I'm in favour of letting an art evolve with each generation. I may currently be learning Fred & Steves Taikidochi but in years to come my students will be learning Sams Scientific Bitchslapping.
What I do firmly believe in though is for the previous generation to grant/refuse permission for the new generation to teach in their name.

I Give BJJs
1/08/2003 4:56pm,
Now can we get some intellectual view points on the topic at hand?

LOL