PDA

View Full Version : Skill Building

Jamoke
1/07/2003 4:29pm,
How do you improve your skills as a fighter??

How do you train, and what are you training for??

dont say to get into shape, because thats what GOLD'S gym does for you.

I know, i know, some of you will say that its important to be in tip top shape in order to defend yourself, right.. WRONG.

why do you train, how do you train, and what are you training for??

"If attacked fight, and fight to kill"

SamHarber
1/07/2003 4:49pm,
Why - Don't know anymore
How - with reluctance, too many injuries
What - no particular reason.

Kensai
1/07/2003 4:52pm,
Enjoyment.

"Those who are skilled in combat do not become angered,
those who are skilled at winning do not become afraid.
Thus the wise win before the fight, while the ignorant fight to win." -O Sensei Ueshiba

Jamoke
1/07/2003 4:52pm,
How - with reluctance, too many injuries

if your serious and your getting injuries while your working out, only one reason for that sammy boy.

YOU DONT KNOW HOW TO WORK OUT CORRECTLY!

as most people dont!

CrimsonTiger
1/07/2003 5:04pm,
Have you ever been in a Gold's gym, Ja? BOOOORRRRRIIINNNNGGGG!

I personally train because it's an exciting, stimulating and productive way to be in shape. It challenges the mind and the body. And I'm not talking kata here, I'm talking tactics, strategy, planning, evaluation of opponents and a battlefield, thinking on the fly.

My objective is to contact fight...amateur. Nothing major, just enough to have a record to be proud of, even if they're all loses. Beyond that, well...I'm sure there's plenty more to come in my life.

Regards,
CrimsonTiger

"You sure talk a lot. Are you going to train at all tonight, or just stand there the whole time?" -Sempai Dale

Jamoke
1/07/2003 5:07pm,
hey CRIM, yes i have- and its not boring as long as there are nice looking babes on the tread mills in front of me!

PeedeeShaolin
1/07/2003 5:27pm,
Correct practice and study builds your body physically and teaches you about many attacks that might take place in a real fight.

It gets you comfortable with rolling and teaches you not to panic.

It gets you used to being hit.

Most people train for a mix of enjoyment, slef defense and physical conditioning.

Jamoke has never trained so he has no idea about any of this.

Jamoke
1/07/2003 5:34pm,
"Jamoke has never trained so he has no idea about any of this."

hahahahahahahahahahaha

you are truly my "sole" BITCH!

Jamoke
1/07/2003 5:35pm,
time, time, time, time, time, time,..

peedee- time, time, time, time, time,

i will save my attacks when i see you, SOON.

SamHarber
1/08/2003 6:10am,
if your serious and your getting injuries while your working out, only one reason for that sammy boy.

YOU DONT KNOW HOW TO WORK OUT CORRECTLY!
A lot of it is to do with being hit by a car about 9 years ago. My knees and fingers are arthritic now, and easily damaged. My shoulder is currently damaged as a result of someone I was training with being a complete f**kwit and not allowing me to roll out of a throw (see my article on ukemi)
Also, I get the **** kicked out of me while wearing about 80lbs of metal armour for a weekend every month, which really doesn't help matters. the latter is purely my own fault though.

Jamoke
1/08/2003 11:30am,
okay, well at least you explained yourself, thank you.

Phrost
1/08/2003 11:40am,
That leads to a good question Sam, something that should probably be a topic of its own...

If you're a serious martial artist and you sustain injuries that would limit your ability to perform the art/s, how do you continue being involved considering improvement/advancement is 90% dependent on the ability to demonstrate physical skill?

Do you give it up? Do you coach?

Just curious on this.

BTW, you must be in the SCA. I've always wanted to do that, but never had the time.

SamHarber
1/08/2003 12:24pm,
Phrost - what I did after my most recent injury is lay off the aikido and concentrate on the taichi. I also tried escrima, but my instructor stopped teaching it on a regular basis due to the politics involved.
If I get any more serious injuries I'll have to give serious to consideration to quitting completely. I don't want to coach, not after my experience as a junior fencing coach, also I don't know anywhere near enough about any one style.

As for the other stuff, I'm not in the SCA, but I do something similar on a much smaller scale. The weapons may be fibreglass/rubber but they still hurt like hell. It teaches you good one vs many skills and how to handle adrenaline reasonably well.