PDA

View Full Version : Keeping thugs out of the dojo

Pages : [1] 2 3

Te No Kage!
8/29/2004 5:26pm,
So I've been doing judo now for a few weeks and really loving it. We do 50/50 standup and ne waza with a BJJ guy coming in once a week to help us with the groundwork. Saturday I just found out that our judo instructor is getting shipped to Japan (Pensacola is a military town) for the next couple years and the senior student probably only has about 6 months left before he's getting moved somewhere else. The few of us who are permanently living in town don't want to let the club get shut down. Our instructor is still going to be our instructor even though he'll be in Japan. Enough people come and go out of the area because of the military that we hope another black belt will come into town and help us lead the class, but right now we don't have any other judo black belts. Also, I found out that our BJJ guy also has a small BJJ University club on the campus of UWF (college in town). I mentioned it to the senior student that we should maybe try to combine the clubs for the time being (our space is much bigger than the one that the BJJ guys have on campus). Also I'm sure that advertising the club as Judo/BJJ would help get more people in the door because BJJ is so popular. The senior student told me that it wouldn't be such a good idea because they'd get thugs in the dojo that would just want to come in and hurt people. He told me that they've actually had karate BBs come in and want to show how tough they were a few times but quit after the first class because they couldn't make it through the first half hour of conditioning before the actual randori/rolling. He said that he's seen some Sambo schools where it's just a thug free-for-all where's there's really no structured conditioning and only randori where guys just come in to fight and prove how bad they are while trying to hurt people. Obviously we don't want this to happen. My aikido sensei actually runs the dojo and I know him pretty well. I don't think he'd have much of a problem having a BJJ class as there's already a judo class and he's really cool. But how do we advertise a judo/bjj club without the thug element coming in? If I have to keep the judo club going by myself I plan on doing so even though I'm a beginner just because it's such a good cross-training experience with my aikido.

feedback
8/29/2004 5:28pm,
"Thugs" coming in just to hurt people is very very unlikely.

Te No Kage!
8/29/2004 5:29pm,
that's what I thought, but that's their concern--really, I can't see myself being afraid of anybody who wanted to train, but I think those who had a bad attitude wouldn't want to come back and train anyways

ClintEQ
8/29/2004 5:44pm,
"Thugs" inevitably have trouble training. Their egos are too big to tap, so they can't train and get skilled. I really doubt it's something you should be worrying about.

Chupacabra
8/30/2004 8:36am,
don't worry about it. fresh meat taste good.

iamamonster
8/30/2004 8:39am,
Originally posted by ClintEQ
"Thugs" inevitably have trouble training. Their egos are too big to tap, so they can't train and get skilled. I really doubt it's something you should be worrying about.

just because someone is a 'thug' doesnt mean they have a huge ego...
anwyays
i thought you meant the 'thugs' will come in, learn all your stuff and then go out and using to beatup on other people...but i dont know if thats your responsibility to worry about anyway...
should it be though?
who sould be responsible for that?!
i dont know man...i just dont know...

WhiteShark
8/30/2004 8:44am,
Do the same thing the BJJ place does and front-load the class with conditioning. Tired thugs lose interest in fighting pretty fast.

Zeddy
8/30/2004 8:45am,
Originally posted by ClintEQ

Two people that might fall into that category have come to train at my gym. One left, the other was told to move out.

Hopefully you can do the same here?

TylerDurden
8/30/2004 8:45am,
The best way is to have them work with a senior student who can handle them. Then if they get stupid you just make them regret it big time and tell them not to bother coming back. Or you could always put up a sign, No Thugs Allowed.

Matt W.
8/30/2004 8:49am,
The senior student told me that it wouldn't be such a good idea because they'd get thugs in the dojo that would just want to come in and hurt people.

That's sounds more like something you'd hear from a pansy TMAist who never actually fights in class. I'm surprised to hear it from someone at your school.

He told me that they've actually had karate BBs come in and want to show how tough they were a few times but quit after the first class because they couldn't make it through the first half hour of conditioning before the actual randori/rolling.

Problem solved.

Truthfully, worrying about "thugs" sounds like kind of a silly fear, especially in a MARTIAL arts club.

iamamonster
8/30/2004 8:53am,
you guys are just assuming that ALL these 'thugs' come in and pay money to beat up people...that MAY be the case sometimes but if ANYONE really loves the ma they will be willing to put the time and effort into learning it...thug or not...

TylerDurden
8/30/2004 8:57am,
I think you are confusing what we are calling a thug, and someone who dresses like a thug. By thug I do not mean, baggy jeans and a sideways baseball hat. By thug what most of us mean, is some jackass who comes in looking to prove they are a tough guy. Might be wearing a wife beater, or a football jersey, or a three piece suit. It's about intentions not dress or walk.

iamamonster
8/30/2004 9:19am,
i know that...but there are thugs who are also good guys...

TylerDurden
8/30/2004 9:39am,
That doesn't even make any sense. Some jackass who goes around looking to hurt other people for no reason, but they are a good guy? That's an oxymoron. Like, combat aikido, or military intelligence, honest criminal. If someone is a thug, they are not a good person, that's part of the definition.

Locu5
8/30/2004 10:05am,
i am a big fan of having a definite alpha dog to keep order as the head instructor. as long as that is there, pecking order will eventually fall into place.

i also like the idea of front-loaded "warming up" followed by sparring. nothing like spghetti arms while sparring to deflate the ego a bit.

Ronin
8/30/2004 10:10am,
Why would you want to keep "thugs" out ???
FRESH MEAT !!