PDA

View Full Version : Hsing-I'chuan

Pages : [1] 2

eskimo
1/06/2003 3:00pm,
Anyone familiar with Hsing-I? Consecutive step Yunnan Boxing and stuff? It's one of the three 'soft' styles in chinese boxing (together with Pa Kua and Tai Chi).

Kensai
1/06/2003 3:57pm,
Its a powerful Linear style.
Comprising of 5 main punching techniques:-
Splitting
Smashing
Drilling
Pounding
Crossing.
And 12 animal forms

A good book is "Xing Yi Quan Xue - The Study Form-Mind Boxing" By Sun Lu Tang

Yours in Aiki.

"Those who are skilled in combat do not become angered,
those who are skilled at winning do not become afraid.
Thus the wise win before the fight, while the ignorant fight to win." -O Sensei Ueshiba

SamHarber
1/06/2003 5:21pm,
Its also hell on your feet and lower legs. You may have thought you were in shape, but this will build up muscles you didn't even know existed. It also (allegedly) thickens the bones in the lower leg.
I like it.

Boyd
1/06/2003 5:23pm,
How so?

SamHarber
1/06/2003 5:51pm,
Each move is accompanied by a powerful stomp, like a short fencing lunge. Each step is to crush feet or slide down shins. Its ok when practicing on a sprung wooden floor, but on concrete it becomes very painful.

Freddy
1/06/2003 7:58pm,
With this style you really need a good teacher. If you dont get a good teacher you end up doing a impractical kung fu style like western tai chi. You have some pretty good instructors that teach how to apply Hsing I against other styles and practice alot of contact sparring. You also want a style of Hsing I that advocates "one shot one kill" mentallity. This is closer to authentic Hsing I very hard hitting like kyukoshin or muay thai. Hopefully your instructor is a good instructor that knows the applications of the forms in real fighting.

PEACE!

jing shen gou
1/07/2003 12:21am,
I know a guy that teaches hsing yi chuan as well as bagua chuan. He doesn't own a school, but e'll teach any who are interested.
I can get some info from him for you if you would like.

the world you live in is just a sugar coated toping. beneath it is another world. The real world. and to survive there you must learn to pull the trigger!!!-Blade

MartialArtist
1/07/2003 12:34am,
There are many times when the principles of Hsing Yi can be applied. I remember having to subduing a lot of people on a plane.

It works not just in narrow places, but narrow places is where the focus is at with linear tenets.

But in a narrow place, lots of moves work without even having to set it up. You can do a side kick to the chest without using a lot of footwork or feinting while it won't do without the proper setup in other places.

KC Elbows
1/07/2003 9:59am,
I'd be careful about referring to it as linear. Triangle stepping is very important in the practice. It is mainly linear at those moments when you are at an opening. It has all the necessary footwork to get around to that opening, but then it is straight in.

The shuffle is hell on shoes, I'll tell you. My style is related, and uses variations of the same shuffle. I go through way too many gym shoes.

SamHarber
1/07/2003 10:27am,
I made the mistake of doing my first class bare footed (i went wearing my work shoes). Oh, how I suffered....

DanDavis
1/07/2003 11:31am,
I studied it for two years and feel it was a big waste of time. All it really did for me was help me win a few forms titles.

"Strike first! Strike hard! No mercy, sir!"

SamHarber
1/07/2003 11:38am,
It never really struck me as an art you could do as a competetive form. I always thought of it as a very no-nonsense beat the crap out of your opponent type of art.

Justme
1/07/2003 2:04pm,
http://www.hsing-i.com/

Boyd
1/07/2003 4:06pm,
I like the demonstrations. It's pretty easy to counter a guy's punch when he has to jog a quarter mile just to get to you.

Boyd
1/07/2003 4:17pm,
Actually, watching their sparring video, I'd hardly even call what they were doing "punching". Do they really believe that's what a fight looks like?

fragbot
1/08/2003 1:23pm,
It's unreasonable to call xingyi a "soft" art. Instead, it's more properly a hard, internal style. Unlike taijiquan or baguazhang, it could be easily mistaken as a form of karate by the uninitiated.

In my experience, xingyi is best described as an effective, close-range style primarily focused on striking with full-body power. It's training methods are a tad drudgerous, but I suspect this is the case with all effective styles.

A typical solo practice session from xingyi might look like the following:

1) zhan zhuang (standing) practice for a period of time. How long is debatable? From what I've been able to discern, Shanxi xingyi emphasizes standing less than Hebei (the most common) xingyi. I have no idea if Henan style xingyi emphasizes standing or not.

2) Practicing the wu xing (the 5 fists). You'll practice pi quan (splitting fist, metal element), beng quan (crushing fist; wood element), zhuan chuan (drilling fist; water element), pao chuan (pounding/cannon fist; fire element), and heng quan (crossing fist; earth element) over and over and over and over and over and. . .well, you get the idea.

While these fists are specific punches, they are more since they train you to issue power in certain directions, e.g. when you're learning pi quan, it's not just a downward hammer fist, but, instead, it's training you to issue down power after pulling your opponent towards you.

FWIW, Henan xingyi is very rare and doesn't train the five fists.

3) Maybe you'll do some animal or other forms.

Most systems have 10 or 12 animal forms that refine the energies trained by the 5 fists. Furthermore, they'll often have additional empty hand or weapons forms. Personally, I think good xingyi guys will focus on steps 1 and 2, but others will think differently.

4) If you're me, you'll do some neigong as a warmdown.

NOTE: whether or not the cultural artifact of qi is emphasized depends, I suppose, on the instructor, the guy I train with emphasizes "body connection" which I suspect is a better description for a skeptical Yank.

A typical partner practice session might look like the following:

1) two person forms: pre-arranged exercises to train flow and sensitivity
2) controlled sparring
3) free sparring

IOW, not too different from any other school out there.

Training results/observations:

1) effective fairly quickly for someone who'se naturally aggressive (is there an art that isn't?)
2) the focus on relaxation under stress (developed mainly through standing practice) helped my ground and standup game (I also do a Meiji-era JJJ)
3) Solo practice requires alot of self-discipline and needs to be performed *daily*. From what I can tell, the daily thing is crucial to success. Even taking a few days off seems surprisingly detrimental to performance. Whether this is just me or universal, I've no idea.
4) Someone mentioned stomping earlier. Be moderate with this, when I first started, going overboard on this idea gave me headaches. When I backed off a tad, the headaches stopped. Justa hunch, but I suspect this was a bad thing.
5) My leg strength has increased as well as the strength in my upper and lower back.

That's enough for now.