PDA

View Full Version : TKD is a tough sport, just look at the equipment a fighter must wear while competing

Pages : [1] 2 3

PizDoff
8/25/2004 10:04pm,
Taekwondo is one tough sports event

ATHENS - Steven Lopez, a fairly unimposing fellow, remembers the one time he had to defend himself.

"Guys sometimes get after you in a club or a bar," he said sheepishly. "They're drunk. Something can happen. It's the worst situation to be in. There were a couple of guys, a few of them. I couldn't get away from them."

"Eeyah!" Kick. Punch.

The first tough guy was as limp as lo mein by the time he hit the floor. As for the others ... Edit: As for the others, they used Viagara! Now fun shaped!

"They saw what happened to the first guy and they backed off," Lopez said with a shrug.

The lesson here is very clear: If you are going to drink heavily, stay away from a taekwondo expert. In fact, even if you are stone cold sober, don't fool around with one of these people.

Jean Lopez, Steven's older brother and coach of the U.S. taekwondo team, says he has come very close to dismantling several rude characters in his life. Edit: And I came very close to flipping out and killing everyone once too!

"But I have been blessed," he said. "I have always been blessed to get out of the situation. We have a higher responsibility. We can seriously hurt someone. So we try to defuse a situation.

"I always say, 'hey, you're tough. You're bad. I'm a wimp. Goodbye.'"

Taekwondo is not one of those peace, harmony and inner fulfillment disciplines. Oh, it can be. Just like tearing down the highway on a massive Harley can soothe the soul of certain folks.

Instead, taekwondo is more of an I'll-put-my-foot-through-your-torso type of discipline. This is an aggressive form of martial arts.

Just look at the equipment a fighter must wear while competing in the Olympics - trunk protector, head protector, groin guard, shin-instep protector, mouth protector ...
Edit: I don't think I need to comment on this.

Remember the old "Kung Fu" TV show? "Take the pebble from my hand, grasshopper," the monk would say to the boy. Then he'd close his hand before the youngster could react. Well, if the kid knew taekwondo, he could have knocked the old fellow into next Tuesday with one shot and then taken the pebble and his wallet.

Of course, that would be wrong.

As Jean Lopez says, they have a higher responsibility.

"The whole purpose is self-defense," he added. "Only when we can't get out of the situation will we fight.

"Besides, if I hit someone and end up in court, the first thing the lawyer says is, 'You've been in taekwondo for 22 years and you get yourself in a situation where you have to hurt my client?'"

That's when it's time to grab the plea bargain.

Jean Lopez also says that many parents bring their children to his taekwondo gym in Houston and ask him to teach them self-defense. But that is changing.

"Now people are coming in and saying they want to win gold medals at the Olympics."

Well, it's a possibility, grasshopper, but it takes a lot of work. The American team this year consists of just two fighters. There's Steven Lopez, 25, a welterweight who won a gold medal in Sydney. And there is Nia Abdallah, 20, a featherweight who has shown great promise.

"These are the poster children for taekwando," Jean Lopez said proudly.

But beware. It takes many sacrifices to become a master of this discipline.

"I haven't had much of a social life," Abdallah admitted. "I still don't have my driver's license. I'm 20. Taekwando has been so dominating in my life." [b]Edit: TKD is bad for social life! :(

That's OK. She can walk. Nobody is going to bother her.

She has what is known as the taekwondo spirit. It comes from total immersion in the training and leads to a stronger body and mind. Anyway, that's what the manual says.

The taekwondo competition begins on Thursday. It has been a long wait for both athletes. They probably are a little jittery by now with a lot of pent-up energy.

They'll probably be OK as long as no one makes any sudden movements or approaches them from behind. Because then it won't be pretty.

http://www.grandforks.com/mld/grandforksherald/sports/9478394.htm

Don't you hate uneducated writers?

ClintEQ
8/26/2004 1:08am,
It really makes me wonder if articles on subjects I am not familiar with are equally twisted without my knowing.

stillkicking
8/26/2004 1:14am,
Hmm...

**** writing and research.

Reflects badly on the reporter. Not TKD.

Next please.
SK

JKing
8/26/2004 1:35am,
It was a bad article... but it being about TKD doesn't help.

stillkicking
8/26/2004 2:14am,
...and so it goes.

BTW, I haven't been keeping up - how has Krav Maga done in UFC?

As an interesting aside - a buddy of mine (Black belt in TKD) just joined the Israeli army as a foreign volunteer. Shockingly, his TKD experience was looked upon favorably.

That's the Israeli army. (Did I mention that?)

SK.

JKing
8/26/2004 2:23am,
Hey, I've consistantly spoken out against krav maga. Check past krav posts. I joined because its free, and the work out is pretty good. I would never claim otherwise. I could care less about what the israeli army finds great in H2H.

Now how has TKD been doing in the UFC? Whats with all the TKD nutriders covering these boards lately. We have people like osiris who have proven their own worth, but for the most part TKD is sucky until proven good.

MrMcFu
8/26/2004 2:27am,
"I haven't had much of a social life," Abdallah admitted. "I still don't have my driver's license. I'm 20. Taekwando has been so dominating in my life."

Girls or TKD. Tough choice.

Otaku Waffle
8/26/2004 5:53am,
Originally posted by ClintEQ
It really makes me wonder if articles on subjects I am not familiar with are equally twisted without my knowing.

Yes.
Every time I learn something new, nearly every article that covers this newly-discovered topic turns out to be full of ****. Friends of mine with different fields of interest have remarked the same.

SLJ
8/26/2004 7:24am,
"Girls or TKD. Tough choice."

I know which one's more handy in a fight.

PizDoff
8/26/2004 8:09am,
Sorry, I had to kinda rush, post this and go.
I edited out some stuff of mine that was wrongly placed.

Article was so bad I just had to post it.

Ronin
8/26/2004 8:14am,
Anyone that has ever seen Lopez fight, would laugh there ass off at THAT BS.

MrMcFu
8/26/2004 8:17am,
Girls and TKD will both get your ass kicked.

I still have memories of my TKD instructor punching his korean opponent in the chest so hard they stopped the fight for three minutes to allow the korean to recover, from being "pushed over" illegally.

Ronin
8/26/2004 8:20am,
Originally posted by MrMcFu
Girls and TKD will both get your ass kicked.

I still have memories of my TKD instructor punching his korean opponent in the chest so hard they stopped the fight for three minutes to allow the korean to recover, from being "pushed over" illegally.

Amasing how they love to ignore hand strikes, even those that incapcitate.

m4949
8/26/2004 8:28am,
I watch Olympic TKD today and they suck ass!!!!!!!. The rules totally help them suck ass. They get so close that they can't kick and they stand there, because puches don't count or aren't allowed. The best was watching them lead with thier face, because face stricked are not allowed.The TKD keep thier hands down, jump around. and do very little and ver few techniques were getting in at all. They all throw these fast, round kicks, but no one seems to block and drive straight in (I guess it's not allowed.)

Then these stupid commentators keept talking about how hard core these fighters are, and how much more "destructive" they are compared to the Boxers (I would love to see the boxers fight the TKD people). One guy kept talking about how tought these guys are and how brutal their training is and began talking about **** like in that Van Damn movie kick boxer.

Then I read this crap. I am so sick of the media hyping TKD to be this leathal bad ass art, when WTF TKD is just sport!

As for Lopez and this bar fight....I would hope a WTF TKD guy could beat down an untrained drunk. What happens if he faces a guy who can fight.

Ronin
8/26/2004 9:06am,
Best TKD movie:
Best of the best.

SLJ
8/26/2004 9:21am,
I meant I'd pick girls. I've been hit over the head with a stileto, and trust me they're far more dangerous than a TKD BB.