PDA

View Full Version : Only the US cares about oil!

Pages : [1] 2

katana
8/24/2004 9:51am,
To all the US haters who think we're the only country looking to protect access to resources and everyone else on the planet only offers flowers and big hugs for the problem places in the world:

http://www.newsday.com/news/opinion/ny-vpts0815,0,3892931.story?coll=ny-opinion-headlines%20TARGET=_blank

Chinese troops in Sudan

While Washington has begged the world -- and pressured the United Nations Security Council -- to send peacekeeping troops to Sudan to quell the sectarian fighting that has put a million refugees at risk, China has already deployed 4,000 troops to Sudan. But those troops are there only to protect China's investment in an oil pipeline. China is concerned that civil unrest could wreck the oil project. It has actually been hostile to U.S. pressure to impose economic sanctions on the Arab government in Khartoum, a key Chinese client, buyer of Chinese arms and partner in oil exploration.

It was also telling that China was a major opponent at the Security Council of the war against Iraq, in large part because China had obtained prospective contracts with Saddam Hussein for exclusive exploitation of some oil fields. But perhaps the most worrisome prospect for U.S. policymakers is China's burgeoning attempt to secure ties with Saudi Arabia, the world's arbiter of the oil market, taking advantage of the Saudi regime's tensions with Washington since the 9/11 attacks.

All these are disquieting harbingers of Beijing's coming conflict with the United States over oil. It will come sooner than expected and the United States is not prepared for it. This president or his successor must, at the very least, alert the nation about its consequences, initiate a national conversation about it and encourage a program of energy conservation to alleviate the obvious economic pressures we will all face.

China's need for oil is the proverbial 800-pound gorilla in the room, and no one seems willing to confront it or even acknowledge it -- until it's too late.

The U.S. needs to put serious research into finding sustainable energy resources.

SLJ
8/24/2004 9:57am,
"The U.S. needs to put serious research into finding sustainable energy resources."

Everyone needs to, but we won't.

"China's need for oil is the proverbial 800-pound gorilla in the room, and no one seems willing to confront it or even acknowledge it."

I like the analogy.

Dralion
8/24/2004 10:42am,
SLJ:

No as long as Oil controls the White House and a good chunk of Congress.

punchingdummy
8/24/2004 11:20am,
Kerry has staked out a good position on energy which makes more strategic sense than the current admin. Sadly, big oil influence on Bush will not allow him to pursue anything similar.

WingChun Lawyer
8/24/2004 11:25am,
Originally posted by punchingdummy
Kerry has staked out a good position on energy which makes more strategic sense than the current admin. Sadly, big oil influence on Bush will not allow him to pursue anything similar.

Someone will vote for Kerry this year...

punchingdummy
8/24/2004 11:39am,
Originally posted by WingChun Lawyer
Someone will vote for Kerry this year...

On some issues I like Kerry's positions, on other issues I prefer Bush. I wouldn't interpret that as a vote for Kerry...at least not yet.

Peter H.
8/24/2004 11:42am,
Originally posted by punchingdummy
Kerry has staked out a good position on energy which makes more strategic sense than the current admin. Sadly, big oil influence on Bush will not allow him to pursue anything similar. http://www.opensecrets.org/industries/indus.asp?Ind=E01

Do you really think the Oil industry won't have a say on Kerry? They did on Clinton, and they will on every president. While most of the money they give goes to the Republican side of the ailse, theya are still a big donator to the Democrats as well.

If you are worried about campaign finances, this is the one to worry about: http://www.opensecrets.org/orgs/summary.asp?ID=D000000061

The biggest single contributor, 98% of the money goes to Democrats, and most of the members who donate are forced to do so, by law, since they live in union states.

punchingdummy
8/24/2004 11:46am,
How about this one....

http://www.opensecrets.org/orgs/summary.asp?ID=D000000065

Kerry's choice of Edwards was stupid. He's both underqualified and a foaming-at-the-mouth trial attorney.

PeedeeShaolin
8/24/2004 11:53am,
Kerry will be bought out too, its just a matter of time and a matter of who will do the buying.

George Bush is one of the most overtly corrupt presidents that I can find. His party's #1 donor is Philip Morris, that should say enough right there.

Bush blatantly assigns ANTI-ENVIRONMENTAL people to the EPA, shortcutting the whole process of having to deal with [i]boring[/b] competant persons who will oppose such actions. Oil, Timber, pollute ALL YOU WANT!

When analyzing Bush its important to look into this for yourself and not listen to the White House's press releases, which are bullshit.

Bush's wife went on a tour to support local libraries while at the very same time Bush was clsing them and taking away their funding. Its a sleazy tactic thats never been addressed and this isn't more "I hate Bush" jargon, this info is availible for anyone to find at your local library. He's for the military but he cuts veteran's benefits and closes National Guard bases even though thye guard is just fine and dandy when it comes to fighting and dying in Iraq.

If everything Bush said was what he really intended I would vote for him again, but the guy doesn't call any of the shots, the people backing him do.

Here in NYC the firefighters are without contracts and firehouses are closing. The firefighters union protests Bush and Bloomberg EVERY SINGLE DAY in front of Madison Square Garden. Thats a complete 180 from their support during 9/11. Theres a reason they turned against him.

But Kerry is going to do more of the same ****, he's just going to be nervous about getting caught with his pants down so I'm sure he'll do less of it. Thats the only reason I'm going to vote for him. Bush is just not capable of doing the job of resident of the United States. He's a nice guy but he's not really all that swift, which means he'll listen to the people backing him. Those people are the most money hungry businessmen in the world and they surely dont care about you and I.

The plan will be to remove Bush as CEO of the U.S., replace him with Kerry and then work HARD to reform campaign finance laws and get a REAL PRESIDENT in office, something America hasn't had for quite a while.

This is alot of work but its the job thjat has to be done in order to bring America to where it needs to be.

Ronin
8/24/2004 11:57am,
If only we can harness bullshit as an energy source...

PeedeeShaolin
8/24/2004 11:59am,
The Saudis would be the ones needing welfare then. America would be forever a super power.

Ronin
8/24/2004 12:03pm,
That's because of the size of the US Senate.

punchingdummy
8/24/2004 12:05pm,
Canadians should be happy the US doesn't have a strategic dependency on ice or good beer.

Ronin
8/24/2004 12:09pm,
Or decent coffee and donuts.

WingChun Lawyer
8/24/2004 12:12pm,
We brazilians thank god the USA apparently has no need of decent looking ladies either.

Ronin
8/24/2004 12:14pm,
She is Brasilian...