PDA

View Full Version : Jamming your fingers while grappling

iamamonster
8/24/2004 6:17am,
i was play fighting with some buddies last night and somehow i jammed my finger very badly.

i wanted to know if anybody has experienced this before...and how to get around it....

Zeddy
8/24/2004 6:40am,
It happens. Did you mean get around it as in during training, or how to avoid it?

Just out of curiousity, if your style in tkd, why grapple in the first place?

iamamonster
8/24/2004 6:51am,
yea, i know its bound to happen..but how would one avoid it or mininize that type of injury..
i have badly mashed fingers from when i used to play alot of basketball...so any injury to my fingers hurt sooooo bad.

why not grapple is the question.

TKD is my only art that i've trained in...like in a dojang with an instructor...but i'm trying to gain some grappling know how.
actaully i trained (actaully more or less watched) at my old TKD place and after class i rolled with one of the blackbelts who did jiujitsu elsewhere...uh...so i guess its not uncommon...i dunno

Zeddy
8/24/2004 8:25am,
Uuuh.. don't stick them in strange places? :D

Seriously though, I haven't really jammed anything badly during grappling. It's usually during sparring with striking my fingers get jammed.

The only thing I can say is keep your fingers together. Generally the fingers work all at once, right? And the thumb is usually held against the other fingers as far as I know, so I'm at a loss to see how you jammed your fingers. You don't mean they got twisted or something, right?

Hopefully some of the others can add something a bit more helpful. :(

Jaguar Wong
8/24/2004 11:15am,
Like Zeddy, I only really jam my fingers when doing stand up sparring. Of course I don't do much grappling (yet), so that could be the reason, but I also keep my fingers together (curved loosely halfway between a fist and a knifehand, with the thumb pressed against the side). When I get tired, and neglect keeping my fingers together, I always catch a kick to the middle or ring fingers. The worst is jamming my thumbs, because it really limits my punching.

I have very flexible fingers (I don't know if "double jointed" is the proper term), so my fingers flex in really far when I make a fist and hit something wrong, so my fingers and thumb always catch a beating if I don't use super proper technique.

xero
8/24/2004 12:17pm,
Keep your hands like hooks aka keep your fingers together. Never grab with just a few fingers because you could jam or accidently bend/catch them in some nasty way. Unskilled/unsupervised grappling is dangerous and I dont suggest doing it until you actual have more of a solid understanding.

iamamonster
8/24/2004 8:12pm,
hmmmmmmmmm, maybe im just a tard who needs to be more careful, thanks guys

redrover
8/25/2004 1:06am,
Beside jamming the fingers you could easily jam your toes. How? When you go into mount and your opponent umpas and trys to buck you off and you have your toes pointing in the wrong direction. ouch

Darting Fingers
8/25/2004 2:13am,
Always have compact fingers when possible, they can get caught on far too much **** and trying to hit someone while your ring finger is hanging over the back of your hand tends to become an impairment. Also thumbless grips can be of use if you are not trying to hang on for dear life.

Zeddy
8/25/2004 4:03am,
Originally posted by redrover
Beside jamming the fingers you could easily jam your toes. How? When you go into mount and your opponent umpas and trys to buck you off and you have your toes pointing in the wrong direction. ouch

Good point... my ankle got stuck like that once and made a most distressing popping noise. :(