PDA

View Full Version : Gluten makes Communion valid?

SlimJim
8/20/2004 9:50am,
The Roman Catholic inserts itself between Man and God. This story (http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=519&ncid=519&e=10&u=/ap/20040820/ap_on_re_us/communion_denied) just yanks my chain.

Chupacabra
8/20/2004 9:52am,
that's just silly

TylerDurden
8/20/2004 10:15am,
"Sorry Ma'am but your child is the spawn of satan and is doomed to hell for all eternity. Now take that filthy little no wheat eatin whore of hades out of my religious sanctuary please, I have young boys to molest."

- Unknown priest

Lights Out
8/20/2004 10:21am,
One of tons of reasons to call churches bullshit.

Leodom
8/20/2004 12:16pm,
Historical Background:

After the changes implemented after the Vatican 2 council in the sixties, many priests took the relaxed Mass specifications to some extremes. There were priests giving communion of oreos and coke. There were some priests who overdid the more "friendly" masses. In order to correct this, requirements for communion were clarified.

Keep in mind that the to The Roman Catholic church, the communion bread and wine are not just symbolic, they are "trans-substantiated" into the actual body and blood of Jesus Christ during the mass. It sounds pretty bizarre to non-catholics and to some Catholics who do not understand it.

That said, I would not be surprised if some compromise is reached. The RC church, however, moves very slowly in regards to these items.

TylerDurden
8/20/2004 12:31pm,
I understand the miracle (as they call it) of transubstantiation, but what I don't get is why catholics think an all powerful god can only turn wheat thins and wine into body and blood. I mean, if there is a god, and that being is all powerful, they could turn pretty much anything into anything.

And why is it catholics get so offended when you ask them how 2000 year old dead skin tastes? Or if you hint that that flesh, could be penis flesh, you never know. Or when you mention their religion is based on human sacrifice and cannabalism.

PizDoff
8/20/2004 12:32pm,
That's just silly. Wait, Chupacabra said the same thing! WTH!

Leodom
8/20/2004 12:56pm,
Originally posted by TylerDurden
I understand the miracle (as they call it) of transubstantiation, but what I don't get is why catholics think an all powerful god can only turn wheat thins and wine into body and blood. I mean, if there is a god, and that being is all powerful, they could turn pretty much anything into anything.

And why is it catholics get so offended when you ask them how 2000 year old dead skin tastes? Or if you hint that that flesh, could be penis flesh, you never know. Or when you mention their religion is based on human sacrifice and cannabalism.

You are correct. It even bothered some of Jesus' disciples at the time. After he said "you must eat my flesh and drink my blood to have everlasting life" some of the disciples said WTF and left.

SlimJim
8/20/2004 3:20pm,
I completely understand the "miracle" of trans-substatiation. I also understand that it was necessary for the church to make that case back when people were too illiterate to understand the complexities of the Judeo-Christian philosophies. However, Vatican 2 is how old? Surely they can change their position.

But that would invalidate every other stance that the church has made wouldn't it?

Jenfucius
8/20/2004 11:34pm,
sure, it makes a whole lot more sense that wheat is more easily turned into the flesh of christ than rice wafers. rice wafers just sounds crazy!

Wounded Ronin
8/21/2004 9:00am,
I'm not Christian, but I love Catholicism. They have all their dogma worked out and they have theologians to make it internally consistient.

Sucks to be that girl but....DOGMA SLAM! If Catholicism were a pro wrestler, this would be a power bomb.

Leodom
8/21/2004 9:54am,
I don't understand why she just doesn't take a sip of the wine. That is just as valid and complete as the bread.

jhearne
8/22/2004 3:34pm,
Wow... Finally some thread that I'm actually competent enough to post about. I'm both a religion major/theology student and I have Celiac disease. However, I'm not catholic so it's not too big of a deal. though, I have been told by several catholics that I should just go ahead and take the eucharist because I'll be okay and if I don't I'll go to hell. May I please say that this sucks, hardcore.