PDA

View Full Version : Nanbudo???

Pages : [1] 2

SgtJaws
8/16/2004 12:46pm,
Does anybody have any experience in Nanbudo or Sankukai karate. If so what do you think to it (is it effectived)?? I personally study sankuakai and I find it to be effective, it has also helped me out in a few "situations." You guys on this board seem to be able to know what works and what doesnt. Thnx-Joe

JKDChick
8/16/2004 1:07pm,
Just for the record, no body KNOWS what works and what dosen't. That's why we're here ... we're trying to figure it out, minus the mysticism and bowing.

For the un-enlightened (re: me) what are the principles of your style? Is more of a sport-orientated style, or do you free-spar?

Forms? Weapons?

Come on, 'fess up! ;)

Blue Flames
8/16/2004 1:23pm,
i hate to break this to you but, it most likely does not work :( i hate being the bad guy. Bullshido is all about this. but whos to say anything really works. welcome to bullshido

SgtJaws
8/16/2004 1:32pm,
Its aimed towards real combat but we can do comps if we want to. The main principle is fluidity and escaping whilst delivering a fast counter. There are a few traditional okinowan weapons we learn but there isnt much emphasis on those.

bushi51
8/16/2004 3:05pm,
Is it theory based or do you test (proving or disproving) the hypothesis surrounding techniques?

*wanting to make Aliveness sound scientific*

EternalRage
8/16/2004 3:19pm,
can u link us to a website for your school or possible videos or anything

Te(V)plar
8/16/2004 3:21pm,
Does it get you laid? At the end of the day, this is the most important thing.

You can use MA to stave off death, or make more life. I choose the latter.

Ok, both. But that's because the only thing I like more than killing stuff is *****.

jkdbuck76
8/16/2004 10:41pm,
Yep. Martial arts don't "work". People do!

In other words, the individual has to be effective (at what? Kata? breaking? weapons forms? or fighting a fully-resisting opponent?).

....now, leave me alone so I can study the ancient cave paintings that depict PFS being practiced 2,000 years ago!

Gezere
8/17/2004 9:51am,
Originally posted by Jkdbuck76
Yep. Martial arts don't "work". People do!

In other words, the individual has to be effective (at what? Kata? breaking? weapons forms? or fighting a fully-resisting opponent?).

Or as one friend of mine always says:

**** THE BELT
BEWARE OF WEARER!!

nanbudoka
9/09/2005 11:48am,
hello all,
Sankukai Karate was created by Yoshinao Nanbu, as a transitory style. The final purpose was to create Nanbudo, a new martial art who is qite differnet from his origins, the karate.
I never practiced Sankukai, i saw only recently how it looks like, it is essentially more dynamic than other karate styles, i am not sure if there are already arm locks as in ju jitsu, or throws like in aikido, judo...
probably this style more sport oriented than for actual street combat, self defence.
Sankukai is quite a "dead" style, Nanbu abbandoned it~20 years ago and dedicated himself to Nanbudo, which is completely different. Nanbudo's philosophy is "force, courage, convinction", this are the principles which shouls follow you through like. It's a very complete martial art, it has several combat sistems, with techniques going from punchs and kicks to different type of locks and throws, the techniques come from karate, aikido, judo. there are also several forms (kata) which are very spectacular and difficult to execute. another great section of Nanbudo is health exercices, there are wery lot of them, they are similar to tai chi forms.Then there is a mental part with meditative exercices to strength your mind.

As a sport oriented system Nanbudo is very efficient,beautiful to practice and spectacular.
As a health oriented system it is also very satisfying.
for self-defence and street-fighting it's a bit complicated, but if you have a good teacher who let you simulate real situations it can be very effective and dangerous. some police department of our area (Switzerland) was given a special training by Nanbu himself.

Nanbudo is in continuous evolution, Nanbu gives seminars all over the world to keep people updated with the news.

some links:
www.nanbudo.com the official Worldwide Nanbudo Federation
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nanbudo
www.nanbudoschirinzi.com

judge yourself, if you have questions ask me or mail me.

Yrkoon9
9/09/2005 11:53am,
Okay. But does it encourage sparring?

nanbudoka
9/09/2005 12:09pm,
we often use pads and protections to train two by two, and boxe-bags to train punches and kicks.
during a new style of competition which was recently introduced we use protections like in taekwondo, with small boxing-gloves (which enable to catch the opponent) and there is half contact.
If you are unluky it can become full contact, but then you normally have unpleasant wounds.
a companion of mine, who made several years of both Nanbudo and Kickboxing said that he had more accidents with Nanbudo than with Kickboxing

MEGA JESUS-SAMA
9/09/2005 5:06pm,
So is Nanbudo anything like nanbando?

TehDeadlyDimMak
9/09/2005 5:36pm,
we often use pads and protections to train two by two, and boxe-bags to train punches and kicks.
during a new style of competition which was recently introduced we use protections like in taekwondo, with small boxing-gloves (which enable to catch the opponent) and there is half contact.
If you are unluky it can become full contact, but then you normally have unpleasant wounds.
a companion of mine, who made several years of both Nanbudo and Kickboxing said that he had more accidents with Nanbudo than with Kickboxing

What does half-contact mean? Point sparring??

Yrkoon9
9/09/2005 5:55pm,
Pretty vague descriptions happening here.

Let me be more direct. Does your style encourage contact and at what level?
1) Touch only. No face, or extremity contact. Body only.
2) Touch only. Face is allowed but discouraged.
3) Touch only. Face is allowed, but hitting extremities like the leg with kicks is discouraged.
4) Moderate touch with any of the provisions above.
5) Moderate touch with none of the provisions above.
6) Heavy contact to the body, Touch or Moderate Touch to the rest of the person.
7) Heavy contact to the face, head, and extremitites.

Obviously there is room for movement there. But you get the idea.

Does your style encourage sparring and/or interaction with OTHER styles - not just for comparison purposes but to improve the skills of your practictioners by being aware, and consequently ready for other styles of fighting?

For example, ever put 16oz boxing gloves on with a boxer and see if your blocks work when they are trying to hit you in the face?

Ever seen if your kicks will actually stop a wrestler intent on grabbing them and putting you on the ground?

Ever been exposed to weapons, besides the traditional 1-step drills where someone is supposed to stab you like this, you are supposed to block it, grab it, etc etc?

Are you encouraged to step outside your style and learn about other styles in an effort to not only understand them, but to understand the limitations of your system?

Important questions.

nanbudoka
9/10/2005 7:15am,
Nanbudo has nothing to do with Nanbando.
then...i'm sorry but english is not my motherlanguage so i must first search some therms in my dictionary :-(..
the basic principle of Nanbudo is to dodge an attack instead of blocking it like in Karate or so.as an attacker we try to hit the face with direct punces, or circular kicks, and to hit the body with kicks, but this attcks should not land (theoretically :-) ).
In the beginning the moves are teached in a very codified form, there is only very soft contact (level 1 or less).
when you have more practice you learn moves who require more contact, heavy leg sweeps (ashi barai and kaiten geri at every level) and throws are performed as direct defense of punches and kicks,therefore i think level 3/4, face touch is not encouraged, it's possible but shouldn't happen since the fight is still codified and we don't wear protections.
In the actual highest level we have three competition systems, the rules of agressor and defender are switched continuously, in two of this systems it's recomended to use leg protections (level 5), in the third, the newest one we have head, body and leg protections.(Since this last system was introduced only few months ago i am not sure in what direction we are going to train, but i think that we will be encouraged to make free uncodified sparring with full protections).
i think level 5 is the maximum.

there are sometimes competitions with Karate, there are persons who make kickboxing and boxe, so we are encouraged to improve our knowledge in other martial arts.
There is however much people who do only Nanbudo for health reasons, no competition, no sparring, contact level 0.

I never trained with a boxer, i think that if he starts some combination it would be the best not to use my blocks, but my feets.

wrestlers, we have this kind of leg and arm grabblings with consequent throws, blocks and "finish himn" on the ground(mostly kick or punch to the face, but not executed with contact).

weapons. unfortunately we don't train so much with weapons, this self defence part isn't yet very evolved, i hope it will grow.

The last question is very good, personally i was never asked to go and see what others do, fortunately i did it by myself and therefore i can say one thing:
learning self-defence means to go to a specific self-defence course where you
1)try to simulate REAL problem situations,
2)lern what happens to your brain and body during this situations,
3)learn only a few essential and easy moves
4)after a few months you are able to get rid of problem situations
(here i recommend the Blitzdefence system by Keith R. Kernspecht (EWTO))