PDA

View Full Version : TKD or "nothing"?

Pages : [1] 2 3

ScottDriver
8/15/2004 7:55pm,
Also posted this thread to mma.tv ...

Moving back down to FL in November, looks like I will be over an hour from the nearest grappling ... I want to train at Din Thomas's Port Saint Lucie ATT but I don't know if I can get off work and drive like an hour and a half to class in time (I'll be living in Okeechobee, nearest grappling seems to be at Din's or a judo club in Stuart, both over an hour away). I'm hoping at some point to move to the coast to live/work, but it may not be in the cards for a while. If nothing else I might be able to make open mats on weekends or something, but there's a big diff. between being basically an outsider doing open mats on Saturday and actually training at a school.
There are two TKD schools in Okeechobee, which is a typical small South Florida redneck town. Our high school still has a rodeo team, our mascot is a cow, I know dudes named Bubba, there are bars called "8 Seconds" and "The Angus," etc.

I don't know **** about TKD other than that it seems to take a lot of **** on internet forums. If I go into a TKD class, I'm not sure I can tell if it's "good TKD" or not because I don't know what good TKD looks like.

If you had the choice between taking TKD at a "typical TKD school," which is what I have to assume the Okeechobee schools are, or just working out on your own until you moved closer to a grappling school, which would you choose and why?

SRK85
8/15/2004 7:58pm,
I thin its better to train in something then in nothing.

Jenfucius
8/15/2004 8:01pm,
train in stretching and weightlifting and running

Chris.B
8/15/2004 8:02pm,
I agree, if I was in your position I would go for the TKD.

albert
8/15/2004 8:08pm,
Does the TKD school have any affiliations such as the WTF or ITF?

Bang!
8/15/2004 8:10pm,
If you can't train a solid MA (and the TKD school might be great, you never know), you should put yourself in the best condition to learn when the opportunity comes your way. You can get cardio, flexibility and balance from TKD, not to mention some mean kicks. As long as you go in with the right mindset and refuse to pervert your own training with a point sparring mentality, then you'll probably be better off for having done it. There may be a hapkido class there and maybe you can even push the envelope and get people to spar with you realistically.

I would advise checking out the class before making your decision.

Then again, as the shogun said, you may just want to increase your general level of fitness piecemeal while you’re waiting. There are advantages there, as well—particularly in the short-term.

Finally, is there absolutely nothing out there? Surely there’s a boxing club. University wrestling? Something?

ScottDriver
8/15/2004 8:22pm,
The only thing I know about the schools at this point are the names of the schools, pulled directly from the yellow pages. :( I don't know the difference between WTF and ITF, though.

Blue Flames
8/15/2004 8:25pm,
MMA videos my friend then go challenge them, take the dojo for yourslef. and make your own BJJ HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Gypsy Jazz
8/16/2004 2:45am,
Check out both schools first off and gather as much information as possible. There is a chance that they are total garbage, but even if they get your flexability and fitness in a better state than they are in, it could be worth it. From my experience, TKD guys are absurdly flexible from needing to stretch so much for all those high kicks. As long as you value the reasonable concepts and reject the ideas of using spinning rainbow jump kicks as a realistic means of self defense, it could be beneficial. Short of Tae Bo (I know it's not an art), any art is better than no art as long as you take the good and reject the bad. Even the frequently badmouthed styles such as TKD or Aikido.

jkdbuck76
8/16/2004 8:36am,
Yep. Check them both out. If they both suck, then spend your time developing attributes like strength, agility, flexibility, etc. The attributes (plus sparring) is what makes a good martial artist even better.

Make yourself a superior athlete.

Matt Bernius
8/16/2004 9:54am,
To reenforce what others have said, the quality of instruction is far more important than the art itself. I've met TKD instructors who were top notch. I've met people claiming to teach BJJ who couldn't fight their way out of a paper bag.

However, no instruction is better than bad instruction. If the schools stink, join a health club. Or start to post around the area and see if there's interest in starting a training group. You never know.

- Matt

D34dly Ninj4
8/16/2004 9:57am,
Originally posted by Matt Bernius
However, no instruction is better than bad instruction.

For about 3 seconds i thought you meant like. No superhero is more deadly than superman. Like bad instruction was the best.

Balloonknot
8/16/2004 9:59am,
Actually, I'm very familiar with that area. I go down there 3 or 4 times a year. I can tell you that it's mostly TKD and Karate. Not too impressive either. There's a shitload of teenage (and younger) black belts running around doing their best Cobra Kai impersonations.

If it were me, I would rather find a good tai chi chuan teacher. I know of one, if you're interested.

Matt Bernius
8/16/2004 10:44am,
Originally posted by D34dly Ninj4
For about 3 seconds i thought you meant like. No superhero is more deadly than superman. Like bad instruction was the best. It took me about three passes to understand what you had written. Then it dawned on me. So let me make sure I was clear:

It is better to have no instruction than it is to have bad instruction.

Oy English.. fun, fun, fun!

- Matt

Ronin
8/16/2004 10:46am,
Don't make a judgement call, untill you visit the school(s).

TylerDurden
8/16/2004 10:51am,
You could also go to the local high school and talk to the wrestling coach. They might let you volunteer and help out during the season. A wrestling coach I know suggested it if I wanted to learn wrestling. Unfortuneately I do not have the time, but it might be a way for you to keep grappling and for free.