PDA

View Full Version : Weights and Relative "Rest"

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

blankslate
8/12/2004 3:08pm,
If I lift weights only twice a week, say Tues and Thurs, is it okay to do bodyweight exercises on Mon through Friday (5days)?

Does that interefere with my "resting period"?

Should I go for fatigue and soreness after every weightlifting session?

Ronin
8/12/2004 3:09pm,
Yes.

johnbo
8/12/2004 3:10pm,
Why would you do the bodyweight exercises at all?
I don't really see the extra benefits of doing them on top of your weightlifting.

blankslate
8/12/2004 3:10pm,
9,964 cmon Ronin, you can do it!

blankslate
8/12/2004 3:11pm,
Originally posted by johnbo
Why would you do the bodyweight exercises at all?
I don't really see the extra benefits of doing them on top of your weightlifting.

I need functional fitness.

NHB_Ben
8/12/2004 3:12pm,
I think the best thing to do is to do what feels best. If you lift weights one day and you wake up the next and your body is telling you not to go work out, listen to it. The general consensus about weight training is to go until failure. Some people only have to go to failure once to get a good workout, I usually go till failure two or three times.

Ronin
8/12/2004 3:12pm,
Alright,
While some theories like Periodization, advocate light and heavy days, and BW exercise would fall in the "light days" category.
It is NOT essential and may even be undesirable to train on a rest day, especially if you are doing MA AND ST.

NHB_Ben
8/12/2004 3:14pm,
Also, if you're looking for gains in SIZE, you may want to cut down as much as possible on your aerobic training. And eat.

blankslate
Originally posted by NHB_Ben
Some people only have to go to failure once to get a good workout, I usually go till failure two or three times.

I bet your girl likes that.

johnbo
Also, if you're looking for gains in SIZE, you may want to cut down as much as possible on your aerobic training. And eat.
Yep, but that would ruin your functional fitness.

blankslate
8/12/2004 3:16pm,

Size will slow me down.

Ronin
8/12/2004 3:16pm,
Ass wipe.

blankslate
8/12/2004 3:17pm,
I do three sets of those, ronin. That's why my glutes be so tight.

Ronin
8/12/2004 3:18pm,
Originally posted by blankslate
I take it in the ass, ronin. That's why my glutes be so tight.

:eek:

NHB_Ben
8/12/2004 3:19pm,
Originally posted by blankslate
I bet your girl likes that.

Yeah. Sometimes. I do a lot of cardio and I'm pretty athletic. She just kind of sits there and looks cute. So I usually outlast here on the first round. Of course, she's cool enough to go even if she doesn't want to, which is cool.

SAFTA4Life
8/12/2004 3:19pm,
You want functional fitness and want to work out on your "off" days?

swim or bike at light to moderate intensity. I like the practice of "active rest" and I find swimming to be among the best methods.