PDA

View Full Version : New Twist, Old Idea: Synthetic Fighting Sticks

Pages : [1] 2

Sharp Phil
12/31/2002 10:48am,
Escrima and Arnis practitioners will be particularly interested in this review of Eric Blair's synthetic fighting sticks, the "f-stix." Manufactured from Nylon or Kevlar, the f-stix are a new twist on an old idea:

http://www.philelmore.com/martial/fstix.htm

JKDChick
12/31/2002 11:18am,
Good for combat but not so great for practise, then, hey? I don't want to go around shattering my friend's sticks. They'd be pissed at me.

"I'm not tense; just terribly, terribly alert."

Sharp Phil
12/31/2002 12:20pm,
I generally practice (against other people) with rattan only simply because anything more solid hurts more. You have to exercise some caution just with the rattan; I have a rather lovely bruise over my left pectoral where my teacher Dave nailed me good with a stick thrust.

Edited by - Sharp Phil on December 31 2002 11:21:15

JKDChick
12/31/2002 12:57pm,
Yeah, I was sparring with my instructor and he was "teaching me a lesson" -- or as I call it, hitting me at will -- and he NAILED me on the left bicep because I'd been covering with my gloved hand a split second earlier. But you see, he wasn't expecting me to do something stupid like drop my guard and the strike was already out when the glove went down. Goodness me, that was a pretty bruise.

Sharp Phil
12/31/2002 1:12pm,
Hitting you at will? You don't allow your instructor to treat you abusively or disrespectfully, do you?

JKDChick
12/31/2002 1:45pm,
No, no, I mean I'm like a five year old when I'm up against him. We spar kickboxing, he taps me in the face whenever he wants, lightly, and I run around panting and swearing because I can't hit him.

That Kali stick hit was the first bruise he's ever given me, and he apologized as he did it.

Sharp Phil
12/31/2002 1:53pm,
Oh, okay.

SamHarber
12/31/2002 1:53pm,
Reminds me of my old fencing coach. It took me two years just to get a couple of points on him, and even then, he wasn't really trying.
I wouldn't mind so much, but he's 5'8" and 22 stone of flab (300lbs or 140kg for the non colonials).

SRyuFighter
12/31/2002 2:10pm,
I have yet to touch my sensei in sparring.

Bring out the windbreakers, I feel a storm coming on!

Astra
12/31/2002 3:21pm,
I can't even touch my Sifu when he has his eyes closed :/
But whenever he feels like it I'll receive a slight poke in the ribs or a slap in the face.

MartialArtist
12/31/2002 3:38pm,
Kinda like what the police force uses

But then again, it's great for competitions if it's legal, but self-defense wise, my .50 will do.

JKDChick
12/31/2002 3:40pm,
The Way of the Gun does beat the Way of the Empty Hand.

On the flipside, I'm Canadian and can't pack a firearm. I always have my hands with me. You just don't want to know where they've been.

Sharp Phil
12/31/2002 4:09pm,
You don't actually lug around a .50 AE Desert Eagle, do you, MartialArtist?

The Wastrel
12/31/2002 5:21pm,
SamHarber,
I studied fencing under a 72 year old man with a right knee that was half-paralyzed by a medication he took after a surgery. I've never been so utterly dominated by a teacher, and I've never learned so much in so little time.

**The most miraculous power that can verifiably be attributed to "chi" is its ability to be all things to virtually all people, depending on what version of the superstition they are attempting to defend at any given moment.**

SamHarber
12/31/2002 10:03pm,
Its great when you find people like that isn't it. Validates all the effort you've ever put in, even if you have to ditch 90% of what you've learnt up till that point.

Amir
1/01/2003 10:07am,
Not scared- appreciative.

I do succeed to score against my sensei, about 1 of mine to 10-20 of his, then again I am practicing for about 12 years now, and he has about 40, and he was much more talented and athletic then me to begin with, so being younger by 20 years doesn't help me much ...
Anyhow, whenever I am getting a good score on him, he smiles happily and encourages me to try one more - he isn't angry, he is jubilant.

If you find a good teacher, you should know to appreciate him, and enjoy the learning.

Amir