PDA

View Full Version : U.S. forces launch major offensive in Najaf

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

PeedeeShaolin
8/12/2004 8:34am,
The **** is about to hit the fan in the form of the largest battle since the "end" of the war.

American forces have moved and surrounded the center of the city and there was heavy fighting on Thursday as U.S. and Iraqi forces moved to seal off the Imam Ali shrine. Aircraft have been hitting the cemetery since Wedesday and American forces have also been engaged in intense fighting in Kut.

In response to the offensive a member of Najaf's city council, Jawdat Kadhem al-Qureishi, resigned in protest.

"I announce my resignation to denounce and condemn the terrorist acts and the shelling that the city of Najaf and the Imam Ali Shrine have been subjected to," he said. "I condemn all the terrorist acts that the U.S. forces have committed."

The U.S. has kept a lid on the fact that Iraq is right on the brink of civil war. The word "Insurgents" has been used effectively to take peoples eyes away from the truth but very soon the term "civil war" should pop into view.

What a mess.

The HUGE cemetery:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/media/images/39942000/jpg/_39942472_cemetery_ap_300.jpg

The offensive has stirred up even more **** and there have been protests and threats to destroy oil infastructure in Basra:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/media/images/39945000/jpg/_39945892_poster_ap.jpg

punchingdummy
8/12/2004 8:40am,
Also note that Sistini, the most influential Shia religious leader in Iraq, has given the Iraqi/US force an implicit green light to engage Sadr.

Roidie McDouchebag
8/12/2004 8:41am,
If the Americans enter the mosque, the **** will hit the fan, if the Iraqi Security Forces enter it, they might be pushed back out because they seem to be incompetent, if the Americans bomb the shite out of the mosque, the **** will hit the fan.

I say there should be at least 2 million troops in Iraq by the end of this year.

PeedeeShaolin
8/12/2004 8:43am,
Also note that Sistini, the most influential Shia religious leader in Iraq, has given the Iraqi/US force an implicit green light to engage Sadr.

Thats simply not true, I don't know where you heard it. The American press is the worst in the world.

Iraq's most influential Shia figure, Ayatollah Ali al-Sistani, has urged the militiamen and US forces to show restraint.

An aide told Reuters news agency that the ayatollah was "very sad" about the fighting and called on both sides to respect "the holy soil and holy sites" of Najaf.

That was released today, about 2 hours ago.

punchingdummy
8/12/2004 8:45am,
There are sufficient Marines in place to deal with this situation...has been for 4 months. they've been sitting on the hands while the (Iraqi) politics ran it's course. Sistani is no longer blocking it, the residents of Naraj are dismayed it's gone on this long, and the Iraqi authorities now have the political will to deal with it.

CaptShady
8/12/2004 8:46am,
WTF? We're fighting their civil war for them now?!?!?!

That's why we need to leave. Nothing we do there, short of anihilation of one side, will prevent the eons of civil war that's GOING TO happen.

The U.S. soldiers did their job .. time to come home, and leave that **** up for them to decide.

PeedeeShaolin
8/12/2004 8:48am,
Where did you hear that Sistani was ok with the U.S./Iraqi forces engaging Sadr and causing even MORE voilence throughout Iraq, which has clearly suffered enough already.

Sadr's main crime is that he is vocally against the U.S. occupation. He won;t sit down and shut up like a good boy.

Fighting in that cemetary is going to be hell.

Just wait, the worse Iraq gets the more chances of the U.S. having to send even more troops there to fight and die for someone elses gain.

Roidie McDouchebag
8/12/2004 8:51am,
"There are sufficient Marines in place to deal with this situation..."

A widespread civil war? I think not. They've got enough for this one action...but what this action could lead to...

"and the Iraqi authorities now have the political will to deal with it."

Didn't the Vice-President call on the American troops to leave the city?

Roidie McDouchebag
8/12/2004 8:53am,
"The U.S. soldiers did their job"

Their job isn't done until there is peace and stability in the Middle East...that's what this war was about from the start.

This is post 666 for me, hehehe

punchingdummy
8/12/2004 8:53am,
Originally posted by PeedeeShaolin
Where did you hear that Sistani was ok with the U.S./Iraqi forces engaging Sadr and causing even MORE voilence throughout Iraq, which has clearly suffered enough already.

Sadr's main crime is that he is vocally against the U.S. occupation. He won;t sit down and shut up like a good boy.

Fighting in that cemetary is going to be hell.

Just wait, the worse Iraq gets the more chances of the U.S. having to send even more troops there to fight and die for someone elses gain.

Like you say PD, do not believe everything you hear in the media. What I posted is the analysis from other sources.

Fighting in the cemetary HAS been hell. Marines have been engaged in there for several days.

PeedeeShaolin
8/12/2004 8:55am,
Im pretty tired of our soldiers dying for Haliburton myself. This whole thing is a friggin MESS like I've never seen in my lifetime.

Last night CNN reported that Haliburton failed to account for over $1.8 billion in Iraq.

Don;t you think it should be a CRIME to get a government contract for $1 miliion to do a job and then subcontract that job out to cheap labor for $250,00o then pocket the rest?

Check THIS out:
http://i.cnn.net/cnn/2004/WORLD/meast/08/12/iraq.main/top.najaf.thursday.jpg

PeedeeShaolin
8/12/2004 8:57am,
Their job isn't done until there is peace and stability in the Middle East...that's what this war was about from the start.

HAHAHAHA!!!

And the job of the U.S. soldiers in Vietnam was to stop those communists right? And their job in the Phillipines was to bring peace to those ignorant barbarians.

Its all about money man, it always has been.

PeedeeShaolin
8/12/2004 8:58am,
What I posted is the analysis from other sources.

What source is that? My quote came from Rueters and the associated press. I think you might have misunderstood something you read or someone lied to you.

Stold3
8/12/2004 9:00am,
Pfft, what else is a capitalist nation going to go to war for. I mean, hello.

Roidie McDouchebag
8/12/2004 9:01am,
"Don;t you think it should be a CRIME to get a government contract for $1 miliion to do a job and then subcontract that job out to cheap labor for $250,00o then pocket the rest?"

How else are they gonna give kickbacks? Seriously...every government at every level everywhere does it, this way, they can always blame the company they gave the kickback to if anyone finds out about it.

"Its all about money man, it always has been."

Oil flows from stable countries...I know it's about money, but a stable Iraq will make more money for the US than a volatile one. It's better to actually WIN in Iraq and then invade Iran or Syria or something than to just fight forever in Iraq. Eternal war is a necessity but fighting forever in the same place is bad (ie Vietnam).

katana
8/12/2004 9:02am,
Originally posted by PeedeeShaolin
[B]Where did you hear that Sistani was ok with the U.S./Iraqi forces engaging Sadr and causing even MORE voilence throughout Iraq, which has clearly suffered enough already.

The Iraqi blogs overwhelming hate Sadr. They call him a "Thug" "Uneducated child" "Retarded Person" "Imbecile", etc.

Not only did Sistani leave Najaf for the first time in almost 6-7 years, but several of the other most senior clerics also reportedly left. All Blog rumor, but who knows. So explicit OK may not be the right word, but they certainly aren't saying anything about it. Sistani could issue a fatwa against the action from his hospital in London just as easily as he could in Najaf.

Sadr is almost certainly receiving direct money and support from Iran. Iran has been sending agents across with money and weapons for quite some time. They are providing training and financing for Sadr's militia.

Sadr should have been killed over a year ago. The US waited too long and now has to deal with the mess. I'd be willing to bet that most Iraqi's would be happy to be rid of him.

In any event, the US started this mess and needs to clean it up. That means going into there with Iraqi forces to do the dirty work. Iraq won't proceed forward with Tehran pulling the strings through an idiot cleric.