PDA

View Full Version : A Good Experience

The Wastrel
12/31/2002 1:08am,
Tonight I was invited to watch a BJJ class. The teacher and his primary student are professional fighters whose records can be found on sherdog.com. They were polite and attentive to their students, and gave me an inordinate amount of time for questions, and there was no pressure to join. There are no contracts. The class was a good balance of technique and sparring (rolling?) and if anyone was burning time, it was the students. The teachers rolled with the students. When they were done I noticed that the teacher had some escrima sticks and I asked him about them, mentioning that I was also interested in escrima. He said, "I'm not certified to teach." WTF!!??? I've never heard that from a martial art instructor before in my life! In every TMA school I've ever trained in or visited, the teachers have walked the perimeter and engaged their students only to adjust a finger etc. Occasionally they might pull some sucker move on a skilled student just to keep them under their thumb. None of that here. When did this become so hard to find?

**The most miraculous power that can verifiably be attributed to "chi" is its ability to be all things to virtually all people, depending on what version of the superstition they are attempting to defend at any given moment.**

The Wastrel
12/31/2002 1:44am,
I thought it was good. I was pleased that he said that.

**The most miraculous power that can verifiably be attributed to "chi" is its ability to be all things to virtually all people, depending on what version of the superstition they are attempting to defend at any given moment.**

Greese
12/31/2002 2:27am,
I agree. Very impressive.

Kempocos
12/31/2002 11:52am,
I agree, a piece of paper or a " nod " from someone does not change what you know. If he has the moves and is willing to share it shows he is humble and not trying to make himself out to be some " all knowing, you will never achieve my level, all powerful sensai master". A rare find in the dojo realm of today.

EAT SLEEP TRAIN

SRyuFighter
12/31/2002 12:18pm,
Yes very good.

Bring out the windbreakers, I feel a storm coming on!

JKDChick
12/31/2002 12:58pm,
It's weird, basically my instructor doesn't claim certification in anything but the PFS. His attitude is: watch a class, if you think you can learn from me, come and train.

"I'm not tense; just terribly, terribly alert."

FukFu
1/01/2003 8:31am,
Hi Wastrel

It looks like you have found a great club to train at.

Iím jealous.

<marquee>Iím an experienced street fighter</marquee>

Amir
1/01/2003 8:50am,
"I've never heard that from a martial art instructor before in my life! "
Did you ever ask any TMA teacher to teach you another different art ??
I asked my teacher to teach me some Nun-Chako, he gave me a similar answer: I only trained a little bit, I don't know enough to teach.

My sensei is doing Randori with the students when ever he can. He demonstrates any technique before we try to apply it, then walks around watching and if we miss something - he corrects us by showing how to do it properly, and on occasion, being the recipient of the technique. I thought most T.M.A. sensei act the same way.

"Rolling with the class" has a teaching methodology has both advantages and disadvantages:
Practicing with your one's teacher one is learning a lot from him, including lots of minor points to work on. The teacher can also adjust his behavior and reactions to suit the particular lessons aims.
Once the teacher has more then one student, while he is practicing with one, the others are left on their own. This could be irresponsible as hell, as a student may get injured. The other students may also make gravious mistakes which go uncorrected.

As always, when there is a trade-off, a good teacher will find the correct balance for every lesson separately. And practice with junior and advanced students only after he has taken care of the all group.

Amir

The Wastrel
1/01/2003 11:29am,
"Did you ever ask any TMA teacher to teach you another different art ??"

Yes, once it was, "As you are teaching sword, what is your experience?" And gotten no answer. That was for an entire school. I had been a fencer and could see that what they were teaching was nonsense.

"Once the teacher has more then one student, while he is practicing with one, the others are left on their own."

Sure, but there are two teachers, both fight professionally. And there were eight students. These guys teach out of another guys studio, in an upstairs room with mats and a ring. And what's the alternative? The oh-there's-the-master-he-can-spit-fire mentality of many TMA schools?

Greese
1/02/2003 12:28am,
I couldn't train with an instructor that would not roll with me.