PDA

View Full Version : Handstand Push ups

Pages : [1] 2

D34dly Ninj4
8/09/2004 11:36am,
[n00b mode]Guys i shudder at the thought of having to ask for advice on this forum because i jus know i'll get flamed, but has anyone got any advice on how to work my way iup to handstand push ups?[/n00b mode]

Ronin
8/09/2004 11:37am,
Why would you want to do them?

D34dly Ninj4
8/09/2004 11:40am,
I like to alternate body weight exerscises with weight training. And besides, Matt Furey does them...

Ronin
8/09/2004 11:42am,
Well your first issue will be balance ( overcomed by placing feet aginst wall) and then it will be blood rushing to your head ( overcome by getting a transfusion).

cafezinho
8/09/2004 11:50am,
i~m working on this very thing right now. Get on your hands with your back against the wall. Balancing without support will take a while to learn.

Omega Supreme
8/09/2004 11:53am,
*slaps forehead:

Fucking newbs...... Find a wall. I do them all the time. I don't use a wall anymore but it helps in the beginning.

<<former polevaulter.

Omega Supreme
8/09/2004 11:54am,
Originally posted by cafezinho
i~m working on this very thing right now. Get on your hands with your back against the wall. Balancing without support will take a while to learn.

gah.....tat wat i gits fer nut reedin awl duh potes.

punchingdummy
8/09/2004 11:57am,
Get a partner to grab your ankles - not in the way Omega would if he was violating you - but to help stabilize your body and help pull you up. After time you won't need the assistance.

Ronin
8/09/2004 11:57am,
Omega used to "pole vault"...

knight_errant
8/09/2004 1:55pm,
Good method I learnt- start off against a wall, legs spread, hands a few feet in front of the wall. Start working backwards and taking your legs together gradually.
copyright kickchick :p

JinenkanShadow
9/03/2004 3:15pm,
ah but remember it doesnt matter how much balance you have, sure you will be able to do a handstand but if you have no strength your not gonna be able to do 1 pushup thinks of the old days] first time i tryed doign a hand stand pushup, my arms gaveway and i nearly broke my neck ( i ended up tearing a few mussels in my neck)

Spunky
9/03/2004 3:27pm,
Ouch is all I have to say to that. It's good to practice rolling out of a handstand (hard to really explain in text but: turn in and collapse one arm, touch the fleshy backside of the shoulder to the ground, and tuck your body into a ball--let gravity turn you over), as you should sort of pass through that when doing leaping rolls. And its just plain good to get used to being upside-down.

Using a wall or partner reduces the strain on your arms/shoulders so you can build up the strength to support yourself free-standing.

mod com gym
9/03/2004 3:28pm,
Once you hit failure with full handstand Push ups - try jack-knifes
Start in push up position - walk your hands back towards your feet until your butt is up in the air - start doing push ups. Now if THAT doesn't start a flame you guys aren't paying attention!

Jekyll
9/03/2004 4:05pm,
If you still dont have enough strength to do full handstand push ups against the wall.
do small dips and gradualy increase the drop down.

Omega Supreme
9/05/2004 12:26pm,
Originally posted by JinenkanShadow
ah but remember it doesnt matter how much balance you have, sure you will be able to do a handstand but if you have no strength your not gonna be able to do 1 pushup thinks of the old days] first time i tryed doign a hand stand pushup, my arms gaveway and i nearly broke my neck ( i ended up tearing a few mussels in my neck)

Try again you might actually succeed next time (in breaking your neck that is)

Deadpan Scientist
9/05/2004 12:58pm,
Excellent post Omega