PDA

View Full Version : The "hidden agenda" factor.

baltasargracian
8/08/2004 11:21pm,
What do others have to say about this?

Antagony
8/08/2004 11:36pm,
Right on, man. Way to put it into words.

Deadpan Scientist
8/09/2004 12:10am,
Originally posted by baltasargracian
(By "hidden agenda", I mean things like $, prestige, student retention, reputation building, etc etc, basically, all those things that a REAL master/teacher neither needs, nor particularly cares about).

$, student retention, and reputation are all things good instructors need. It's not fair to ask a profesional to give his services for next to nothing. Teaching Martial arts full time is a lot of work.

FighterJones
8/09/2004 12:27am,
Yeah very good.

Deadpan Scientist
8/09/2004 1:29am,
I'm sorry, I'm having a hard time understanding what you are saying in this portion:

Professional MA teachers have thier place, teaching MA "professionally" to "customers" of thier "business", yet I, am not referring to this arrangement, as it stands, I am referring to where this ends up heading, for some (dedicated) students for whom when it comes to competent, authentic, realistic instruction, the issue ends up being at what real cost? and for what real reasons/limitations?

Could you elaborate and clarify please?

Deadpan Scientist
8/09/2004 1:58am,
ok, now I understand what you're saying.

Roidie McDouchebag
8/09/2004 2:06am,
One of my instructors put it best, I think, when he said "Some people are about money first, other people are about teaching first...I'm about teaching.".

This site is similar...some sites are about money above all else, while Bullshido is about providing information to those that want and need it above all else.

gimpface
8/09/2004 2:08am,
Originally posted by brandeissansoo
$, student retention, and reputation are all things good instructors need. It's not fair to ask a profesional to give his services for next to nothing.

****, now I feel guilty for never paying for class with anything other than blood, pain, and occaisional slave labor. Not to mention that he (our {greese1 and myself} Judo/Jujutsu teacher) practically always buys us dinner, shares his good beer/wine, and will let us crash at his place for a night or so if need be. But, on the other hand, he is actually a professional math nerd for a living and teaches us out of what I can only describe as a sheer, unadulterated desire to inflict suffering upon quasi-human beings.

Creep
8/09/2004 2:12am,
you forgot to mention lineage.