PDA

View Full Version : hey wingchun lawyer: typical ving tsun class

Pages : [1] 2

grond
8/05/2004 12:27pm,
"Grond, do you do Moy Yat ving tsun? If so, do you spar often and hard? Is the training physically demanding?

I would like it if you could describe a class, please. Thanks." -wingchun lawyer

1. yes, i am learning moy yat ving tsun. the school's website is www.moyyat.net Do you have any experiance with the moy yat schools in brazil?
2. no, i don't spar often. In the 16 months I've been training, i've sparred maybe 5 or 6 times, always for fun.
3. yes, the training is physically demanding.

A typical class would last between 2 and 3 hours. I usually warm up by playing my forms for about 20 minutes. After that I'll pair up with someone and play some of the traditional two-man exercises.pak sau, lop sau, don chi sau, etc. depending on who's there and what my sifu feels like working on, we'll do that for around half an hour or an hour, and then move on to some practical applications, or drilling techniques. Later in class we'll do some conditioning exercises, again there's no set time for how long it lasts(sometimes it depends on how sadistic my sifu is feeling). After that the beginners generally leave, and the older guys will play chi sau for awhile.
Thats pretty typical of the night classes we have 3 times a week. On saturdays class is devoted more to footwork, stance training and conditioning in general, while thursday night is reserved for just chi sao.

WingChun Lawyer
8/05/2004 12:44pm,
Is the sparring hard? Do you actually feel the pain of the blow, or is it more like point sparring? Do the other students spar more often than you do? 16 months is quite a it of time.

I have no personal experience with the brazilian MYVT, but, to be honest with you, they are NOT well regarded here, to say the least, even among the (few) wing chun teachers here. Money grabbing people who sell an image instead of actual fighting skills, that is what most martial aryists think of that organization here.

grond
8/05/2004 1:08pm,
I'm sorry to hear that the moy yat schools are not well regarded in brazil. If you ever get the chance to touch hands with someone from that lineage, please send me a message about it.

The few times I've sparred were pretty hard, in my opinion. The punches were painful, but honestly I get hit harder in chi sao. It was not similar to point sparring, but the last time I point sparred was in a tkd class as a kid so i don't have much experiance with that stuff, aside from what i see on the internet. No, the other students also don't spar very often. My sifu deliberately deemphasizes sparring. DUN DUN DUUUUUUMMMMM. :)

Do you have some bad experiances with point sparring? Or does your school put a lot of emphasis on hard sparring?

WingChun Lawyer
8/05/2004 1:36pm,
So your sparring isnīt that light, that is good. I have quit WC for a while, and am concentrating only on muay thai, precisely because my sifu did not allow us to spar.

I have learned a lot during the time Iīve been doing muay thai precisely because of the hard, constant sparring (weīve been doing it every thursday for the last month or so). It is a pity that your sifu does not emphasize sparring.

The MYVT guys in Brazil are, how to say that politely...elitist. I have been informed that they charge for their lessons a lot, about the same an university would charge. And they donīt do sparring. They cater to people who want to immerse themselves in the chinese culture and avoid bruises.

grond
8/05/2004 1:59pm,
Hmmm, thats weird about the myvt guys in brazil. I don't see how anyone could study ving tsun(or most martial arts) and not expect to get bruises. It's a pity you have no first hand experiance with them.
Did your old sifu give you a reason for forbidding sparring? What lineage is he from?

I'm glad that you're getting alot out of muay thai. I'm pretty ignorant about that style unfortunately, but a friend of mine who just started training in it is coming into austin this weekend, so i may have a chance to mess around with him. When you spar, what sort of equipment do you have on? Are there groundrules or is it a free-for-all?

Antagony
8/05/2004 2:09pm,
No sparring? Yikes.

grond, I'm in the Austin area. You are more than welcome to hook up and spar or train with me.

WingChun Lawyer
8/05/2004 2:23pm,
I did Lee Shing lineage. My sifu said that sparring could lead to real fights, and was too limited. As you can see, I strongly disagree.

When we spar at MT we use boxing gloves and shin guards. The smart ones also use mouthguards. The rules are, no kicks to the groin or knees, no elbows (that is for championships), and no knees unless you the coach specifically allows it.

Personally I think it is a good idea to forbid the use of elbows. The coach says that he forbids those because they provoke cuts, and that is inevitable.

supercrap
8/05/2004 5:59pm,
Lee Shing? WTF? He was the first Wing Chun teacher in the UK... I had no idea he came via Brazil...

Hedgehogey
8/05/2004 8:49pm,
WCL, Proper headgear and elbow guards make elbows very sparrable.

Grond, can I respond to your PMs here?

grond
8/05/2004 9:37pm,
Sure

WingChun Lawyer
8/06/2004 7:42am,
Originally posted by supercrap
Lee Shing? WTF? He was the first Wing Chun teacher in the UK... I had no idea he came via Brazil...

Actually I learned from a student of Jug Zieglerīs, who also spent some time in London with Austin Goh. He is a crazy swiss who married a brazilian woman and moved here.

An extremely nice person, but he doesnīt believe in hard sparring. A pity.

Hedgehogey: really? Well, I do not make the policy there, but Iīll remember that. Still, yesterday I managed to get a roundkick in my eye and I am limping a bit, so I am pretty much sure our sparring is already quite hard as it is. :)

DANINJA
8/06/2004 7:44am,
Austin Goh doesnt have a good reputation in the UK

Fa Jing
8/06/2004 7:46am,
I take a mixed lineage Wing Chun. Sigung learned mostly from Eddie Chong, but also William Cheung, and David Gradios. We spar all out. Full contact with elbow pads. We dont spar, however, until after you have learned sil lum tao, and chum kiu because they have most all the blocks/strikes and most of the footwork to enable you to spar. Our WC is not "just" WC. Its a mix of Bak mei, and some Shuai Chiao that sifu learned.

just my school and my 2 cents

WingChun Lawyer
8/06/2004 8:02am,
Originally posted by DANINJA
Austin Goh doesnt have a good reputation in the UK

Really? Why not? I am actually curious, I know nothing about the guy, except what I saw on his site.

And all in all, it is a pity that I have to quit WC, but I donīt have much time for training, and MT sparring has made me progress a lot.

DANINJA
8/06/2004 9:02am,
well i know a guy (who is now a kickboxing instructor) who used to be a student of Austin Goh and he would do his challenge fights.
I also heard he spend most of the class showing off his finger tip push ups etc and doesnt actually teach.
I also had a copy of his book i think it was called "Breaking power of wing chun" -the book was lame all it had was pics of breaking demos that he has done in the past(concrete slab on his stomach whilst someone breaks it with a hammer and bending rods with his throats etc)

WingChun Lawyer
8/06/2004 9:45am,
Originally posted by DANINJA
well i know a guy (who is now a kickboxing instructor) who used to be a student of Austin Goh and he would do his challenge fights.
I also heard he spend most of the class showing off his finger tip push ups etc and doesnt actually teach.
I also had a copy of his book i think it was called "Breaking power of wing chun" -the book was lame all it had was pics of breaking demos that he has done in the past(concrete slab on his stomach whilst someone breaks it with a hammer and bending rods with his throats etc)

I donīt know what you mean about the guy who would do his challenge matches. I mean, he was Gohīs student, so what is the problem?

That said, not teaching is lame.