PDA

View Full Version : 10 commandments of school searching



Pages : [1] 2

Miguksaram
7/22/2004 3:08pm,
This topic was brought up on my discussion list so I thought I would share it here. It was 10 commandments of finding a school that was right for you. Feel free to add your own.

1)Thou shalt have no other hidden payments sprung onto me.

2)Thou shalt make no other inquiries about what I do for a living and charge me accordingly. I am not an ATM, but I do have a lot of friends that I can tell how bad you treated me.

3)Thou shalt not take the title Master, Grandmaster, Shihan, Soke, Kwanjangnim, Professor or Sigung in vain. If you don't have the true creditentials then don't claim it. I am not impressed with titles. I am impressed with actions.

4) Remember to keep every day I show up for your classes a holy day. It takes a lot of time, effort and energy to work a full time job, raise my kids, and still try to make it to class on time. Do not scold me for being late or missing a day. Crap happens. Yes, I appreciate you teaching what you know to me, but I may or may not be a geek about it depending on how you treat me.

5) Honor my mother, father, wife, kid, or whoever is paying your dues for who they are, not the size of their checkbook.

6)Thou shalt not kill me with 500 push-ups in the class. I am all for getting into shape, but I am not in the military for a reason. I want to learn to defend myself not to see how many push-ups can be done in one hour of time.

7)Thou shalt teach me effective techniques. I'm all for cool looking stuff (because chicks dig the cool moves) but I need to know that when Bubba comes a callin' I can effectively get myself out of the situation with minimal bodily damage.

8)Thous shalt not steal my time with horror stories about how hard you had it back when you first started karate. I feel for you really, but soon I will give you the same glazed eye look as I give my grandfather when he talks about walking 4 miles to school.....up hill.....both ways.

9)Thou shalt not falsely accuse your art as some 3,000 year old mystic decendant from aliens. I have Google and I will use it.

10)Thou shalt not hit on my girlfriend or wife. I don't care how much crap you know or how bad you are. A smith and wesson will beat a front kick 9 times out of 10.

OneWingedAngel
7/22/2004 3:11pm,
Originally posted by miguksaram
I have Google and I will use it.

That was probably my favorite

Emevas
7/22/2004 3:13pm,
Nothing about sparring hard/full contact? Nothing about resisting opponents?

Gotta give it a 5/10

Lone Swordsman
7/22/2004 3:13pm,
I would put effectiveness at the top. If someone could teach a legitimate "touch of death," I'd pay for the knowledge.

jkdbuck76
7/22/2004 3:17pm,
Thou shalt not make me, a paying student, teach other students during class time that I hath paid for. Neither shalt thou maketh me an underbelt teacher--for I pay thee much money to LEARN and not babysit your students.

Thou shalt not charge excessive amounts for belt testing.

Thou shalt not use thy students for personal favors. Thou shalt showeth and maintaineth "professional distance" from thy students.

Miguksaram
7/22/2004 3:18pm,
Originally posted by Emevas
Nothing about sparring hard/full contact? Nothing about resisting opponents?

Gotta give it a 5/10

Commandment number 7

Emevas
7/22/2004 3:21pm,
I read about learning effective techniques, but learning a technique and learning how to apply it and then actually applying it in a sparring situation are different things in my mind. I can teach someone jab, right cross, hook, and uppercut, and say that those're all effective techniques, but it doesn't mean anything until they've actually learned them.

But maybe I'm overanalyzing....

jkdbuck76
7/22/2004 3:23pm,
Thou shalt buy a new black belt when thy belt hath gotten grey and tattered. For thou to appearest "experienced" because thy belt remaineth tattered is stupid.

Thou shalt clean the training hall at some point or get thy students to do so--mold, nails that sticketh out of the floors and walls, insulation that falleth from the ceiling are called "public health hazards."

Miguksaram
7/22/2004 3:25pm,
Originally posted by Emevas
I read about learning effective techniques, but learning a technique and learning how to apply it and then actually applying it in a sparring situation are different things in my mind. I can teach someone jab, right cross, hook, and uppercut, and say that those're all effective techniques, but it doesn't mean anything until they've actually learned them.

But maybe I'm overanalyzing....

Yes..yes...this is all for fun. :)

jkdbuck76
7/22/2004 3:28pm,
Thou shalt give straight answers to questions withersoever thy students ask of thee. Neither shalt thou dodge questions. Neither shalt thou make up crap on the spot, nor shalt thou use circular reasoning as an answer. If thou knowest not, then shalt thou say "I don't know", then from henceforth, thou shalt find an answer and share it with thy students.

Miguksaram
7/22/2004 3:29pm,
Perhaps I shall apply ammendments to the commandments:

7)Thou shalt teach me effective techniques. I'm all for cool looking stuff (because chicks dig the cool moves) but I need to know that when Bubba comes a callin' I can effectively get myself out of the situation with minimal bodily damage.

7a) Thou shall have sparring. Not the throw a punch and I will do a block and cool counter move, but actual moving around punching kicking and beating the snot out of each other to learn what works and doesn't. Being taught effective techniques is one thing...being taught how to use effective techniques in real time is another.

jkdbuck76
7/22/2004 3:34pm,
Thou shalt not claim that thy Martial Art is 2,000 years old because there are paintings on a cave wall.

Neither shalt thou promote thyself to higher degrees of black belt when thou stepest from the airplane.

Thou shalt not quote Bruce Lee, David Carradine, or Yoda whenever thou art explaining something.

If thou shalt use technical terminology, thou shalt pronounceth it correctly (whenever something is not important, it is "irrelevant" not "irrevuhlent".

jkdbuck76
7/22/2004 3:39pm,
Thou shalt train with thy students.

Thou shalt not stop teaching class to talk to a prospective student inasmuch as thou shalt have fliers with thy business hours and fee structure. Remember, to stop teaching thy paying students in order that thou mightest talk to someone who doth not pay or is simply bored showeth a total disregard for thy paying students.

No one careth how many associations thou belongest to, how many trophies thou hast won (or purchased like Frank Dux), how much thou talketh with the Grandmaster.

Emevas
7/22/2004 3:42pm,
Originally posted by miguksaram
Perhaps I shall apply ammendments to the commandments:

7)Thou shalt teach me effective techniques. I'm all for cool looking stuff (because chicks dig the cool moves) but I need to know that when Bubba comes a callin' I can effectively get myself out of the situation with minimal bodily damage.

7a) Thou shall have sparring. Not the throw a punch and I will do a block and cool counter move, but actual moving around punching kicking and beating the snot out of each other to learn what works and doesn't. Being taught effective techniques is one thing...being taught how to use effective techniques in real time is another.


Now we're talkin'! Praise the lord, for he has shown me the way! I once was lost, but now am found, but am still fuckin' blind from that stupid right cross to my eye!

Miguksaram
7/22/2004 3:48pm,
Originally posted by Emevas
Now we're talkin'! Praise the lord, for he has shown me the way! I once was lost, but now am found, but am still fuckin' blind from that stupid right cross to my eye!

Now go and mulitply spread thy word amongst the forsaken. Travel deep into the bowels of the TKD schools so thy word can be heard by the damned.

Emevas
7/22/2004 3:52pm,
Sorry, I got caught up on the whole "go forth and multiply" thing that I completely forgot about spreading the word...