PDA

View Full Version : Owning n00bs

Pages : [1] 2 3

WingChun Lawyer
7/22/2004 8:34am,
Last thursday we sparred at my MT gym, and the coach made me fight against a guy who has been training for the past three months, but never sparred before.

(just for the records, Iīve been doing MT for the last four months, and I sparred six times during that period - three minute rounds - not counting my two years of wing chun, where we do not spar)

Now, that guy was about my size, so I shouldnīt have been terribly concerned on account of that. However, every time I sparred there, I was outclassed, as those guys simply have much more sparring (ergo, fighting) experience than I do. So I may have conditioned myself to fight with everything I got against my opponent.

The smart ones among you have now understood I am trying to build up an excuse here.

To put it bluntly, I owned the other guy, badly. I didnīt give him a nosebleed or sent him limping to his home, but I did get more than a few well placed punches in his head (we had to stop about three or four times for him to get his bearings again), perhaps more than I should. The guy DID get me with one decent roundpunch, but still, he was outclassed, and I MAY have taken advantage of the newbie to practice all my MT and WC punches (hey, I never had the opportunity before).

When I came for the other class, the other students greeted me by saying "Hey, here comes the killer!". That is, I believe, a slight exaggeration.

Now, the questions for this thread are:

a) Should I feel guilty?

b) Have you ever done anything like that? Did you feel guilty?

Te No Kage!
7/22/2004 8:38am,
a) no, do you feel ill-will toward the people that have owned you?

b) no, I can't kick my own ass, but I don't hold it against people who can destroy me because I'm learning from them

OneWingedAngel
7/22/2004 8:41am,
a) see te no kage's response

b) yes, in grappling just last week actually. And yes, I did feel a little guilty. Though the more experienced guys seem to not mind owning me, so I guess it goes away with time.

kismasher
7/22/2004 8:44am,
honestly, i would expect that.

when i go looking for a new gym in the next month, i am looking for someone that can kick my ass, plain and simple.

if it's sucky point sparring, i'll thank them for their time and not come back.

you might mention to the guy that he can stop fighting if he's getting beat too badly.

blankslate
7/22/2004 8:45am,
Liar.

Chris.B
7/22/2004 8:46am,
a)No, it's called a fight...sometimes the other person loses.

b)Yes, though it was out of training. Someone wanted to fight me for fun...(my friend), but then again it is your duty to be evil to friends.

WingChun Lawyer
7/22/2004 8:54am,
Originally posted by blankslate
Liar.

Hey, I never said I didnīt suck! Itīs just that, this time, I finally found someone who sucks even more (a rare event).

Oh, the other guy didnīt complain about his beating, he took it like a man (the same as we all do when an advanced student is feeling like it at my gym), and he seemed actually quite excited about sparring.

MrMcFu
7/22/2004 8:55am,
When I roll, I tap the N00bs one or two times to start right off the bat. Then I refrain from doing any submissions the rest of the round. If I get mount, I make them work to get me off and if they are having a great deal of trouble, I roll them into my guard. From my perception, the important thing is for them to get into the "flow" and work on positioning.

WingChun Lawyer
7/22/2004 8:58am,
Originally posted by MrMcFu
From my perception, the important thing is for them to get into the "flow" and work on positioning.

Heh, I am a n00b myself, so I probably donīt have as much control over the fight as a more experienced student does. But I see your point, of course. And the guy did get one punch on me (although I didnīt let him, he did it by himself).

blankslate
7/22/2004 8:59am,
Originally posted by WingChun Lawyer
Hey, I never said I didnīt suck! Itīs just that, this time, I finally found someone who sucks even more (a rare event).

Oh, the other guy didnīt complain about his beating, he took it like a man (the same as we all do when an advanced student is feeling like it at my gym), and he seemed actually quite excited about sparring.

Yeah, it just proves you're an athlete/good sport and not a ruffian. if you were'nt you wouldn't be posting and would be looking for your next victim. Good for you.

I always felt guilty about stuff like this and would tone it down a little when I knew I was going over the top. You have to push the n00bs just over their limit but not too much just like you would your own children.

Gezere
7/22/2004 9:02am,
1) Not just NO but HELL NO!!!

2)Have I ever done anything like that? *snicker* Of Course Not*snicker* I would NEVER take advantage of a NoOb's nEwBiene$s*snicker* I'd feel just terrible if I did*snicker* (Hope the buy that!:D)

dadaggie
7/22/2004 9:04am,
Originally posted by WingChun Lawyer
Now, the questions for this thread are:

a) Should I feel guilty?

b) Have you ever done anything like that? Did you feel guilty?

a) No, you shouldn't. This is the way we learn. Sometimes you pwn, sometimes you get pwned. Better in a classroom then on t3h str33t.

b) all the time. I never set out to "smackdown" anyone. As we spar, I suggest this move or that. I watch the new guys and know what they are good at and what they need to work on. Still, if the n00b wants to bang - shame on him. He gets pwned. Then I ask him what did he learn. We talk and I point out what he is lacking in. It may not be the best way, but it is my way.

KIA!

blankslate
7/22/2004 9:05am,
The coach should have stepped in at some point if it was too one sided.

WingChun Lawyer
7/22/2004 9:15am,
Originally posted by blankslate
The coach should have stepped in at some point if it was too one sided.

As I said, the guy mostly took it like a man and didnīt complain, although it WAS mostly one sided. I had to stop a few times because the other guy clearly lost control after some solid punches, but I did it because going on would be pointless and cruel, not because the coach made me.

I suppose the coach knows that I am not a psychopath. That said, at my MT gym, the coach mostly doesnīt HAVE to stop things - we stop the sparring session ourselves when necessary, and so far, AFAIK, there was no major incident, excepting some kicks to the balls (by accident, of course).

Chupacabra
7/22/2004 9:20am,
A.) no don't feel guilty

B.)Yeah I have, but it's allright. Evertime I spar/roll with anyone that has more expierience than me I get pwned. I think thats what you are supposed to do is beat the **** out of people so they learn faster. pain is the best teacher or biggest discouragement it depends on how you look at it.

WTDude
7/22/2004 9:26am,
You sadistic bastard! What else do you do for fun? Drop kick puppies? Steal elderly peoples' social security checks?