PDA

View Full Version : MMA for Kids

TKD Boxer
12/24/2002 10:13am,
I was watching a news show at my friends house and one ofthe stories was on a kid professional MMA tournament. I showed the current champion who was like 10, and guess what he practiced? TKD! He fought a grappler in thechampionship match, at the end the grapplerhad him in an armbar, he stood up andpulledhim off, he cournered thegrappler and knocked him out with a spinning back fist. And I thought all tKD was Crap. I'm not trying to take sides just inform.

Vargas
12/24/2002 10:30am,
Yeah, they have kid's brackets at some of the submission tournaments I've been to. I think they're kind of funny myself. It's like watching 8 year-olds play football, they suck but they're kind of cute at the same time.

Teaching kids submissions is a dicey thing, though. They tend not to tap when they need to and someone gets hurt. My instructor won't teach anyone under 16 for that very reason.

Kempocos
12/24/2002 10:41am,
To train kids to fight in this manner is sick . For one thing thier bones a soft and forming these kids will be lucky if they can move thier fingers by 30. There is a reason that most martial art schools will not let Kids into adult programs until they are 16 , 15 in some cases. Alot of what I read about wimpy training comes from teenagers who have not been trained like an adult or have been at it for only a year or so. At this point any worthwhile instructor would still be getting you ready for the next level of fighting. The parents should be arrested. Full contact with KO's at 10. Plus the grappler what was he like 9 years old. This does not prove anything except stupidity runs rampant in some places.

EAT SLEEP TRAIN

Kato
12/24/2002 10:44am,
I saw a nine year old Muay Thai match recently, and have to say it was bloody impressive. Sound technique ( considering their age ) and a lot of guts from both kids. There was no pissing about and both kids were getting stuck in...it did make me wonder if i was a dad if I would want my son in there though at that age....part of me says yup, let him learn the hard way and the other half says thats way too hardcore for somebody that young.

Miguksaram
12/24/2002 12:00pm,
Kempo has a point. At such a young age their bones and ligaments are still developing. Granted that they can recover quicker than an adult if something tore or broke, but this could lead to serious malformation of the body.

I think that is a bit dangerous for kids to be in such tournaments. That is just my opinion. Are there any MMA instructors out there that teach kids? What is your opinoin on the matter?

Jeremy M. Talbott
http://www.homestead.com/koreanma/index.html
http://www.geocities.com/jns1994/MSA.html

Blad3
12/24/2002 2:30pm,
TKD isn;t crap, just a majority of schools teach ineffectively.

Nothing, or at least not much is really crap if taught effteively. Also, a spinnign backfist is a karate and kickboxing move at least as much as it is a TKD one. If he had the armbar on tight I don;t think that would of happened at that age. Not liek he could power out unless there was a big size advantage.

Usign children as an example isnlt sufficent, as they're not fully developed yet, and at thet age not even very msucularly developed. It could have just been a luck thing as well.

Fisting Kittens
12/24/2002 2:35pm,
This is really unsafe. In judo we don't allow choking until 13 or joint locking until 16 because is is UNSAFE. Aside from the points already mentioned, kids don't have self control yet. I've judged more than one kid kung-fu tourney and kids get seriously pissed off sometimes and TRY to hurt each other. I don't want my kid in the ring with a submission fighter that is pissed off. could lead to some real unpleasantness.

DanSevering
12/24/2002 2:41pm,
My GOD! CHILDREN in full-contact martial-arts? PLEASE tell me it was only for points!

These tournaments are simply TESTS, they are NOT for children, who have NO business in real knockout fighting--this is sicker than dogfighting!

And for the record, striking is NOT crap-- MMA has dozens of examples of KO by striking; however, a real fighter must know how to take the advantage in ANY situation. However, TKD isn't much of a striking system, just pretty much combines normal karate with a few wrestling moves.
Likewise, if he got out of the armbar, it simply wasn't applies properly or wasn't sunk yet, or maybe he was just taking advantage of the restraint that one normally applies in submission-matches, as opposed to an actual situation when you'd actually try to break it.

gong sau
12/24/2002 2:50pm,
Make up your mind, Dan. First it's "sicker than dogfighting", then you go on to discuss the merits/techniques of the fighters. WTF?

For the record, I don't agree with kids in these types of competitions for the same reasons outlined above. However, other cultures view things differently, like Thailand. Kids there start fighting as young as six. Who can say if the reason that Thai fighters don't last long is because of this fact?

First, I'm gonna hit ya...then you're gonna fall

DanSevering
12/24/2002 3:25pm,
I said "FOR THE RECORD"-- i.e. for adults-- not children actually knocking each other out-- do you ever read the WHOLE message?

Also, Thailand also has pre-school prostitution rings-- or do you consider pedophilia to be just a "cultural difference" as well?
I won't even ASK your views on 9/11.....

Wow, I've heard of "telegraphing" one's punches, but never a SINGING telegram!

Edited by - DanSevering on December 24 2002 14:28:38

TKD Boxer
12/24/2002 3:27pm,
I agree it is sick, and no it was not for points it was sorta like ufc with out so much ground fighting.

I'm 15 and me and my friends go full contact with gloves, would that screw me up when I get older?

DanSevering
12/24/2002 3:41pm,
I agree it is sick, and no it was not for points it was sorta like ufc with out so much ground fighting.

I'm 15 and me and my friends go full contact with gloves, would that screw me up when I get older?

"Saving The Clams Like A True Coast Guard Should." - Derrick Faith

You should learn from an expert first, and from the styles that WORK in reality fighting; if you just screw around, it will just be just that-- screwing around, and you'll learn more bad habits than effective techniques, which you'll have to spend more time UN-learning than you'll learn.

You should DEFINITELY learn to use your fists, but learn to do it right first from a qualified instructor, and THEN practice, GRADUALLY-- even hunting dogs start out gradually as puppies, and they learn to take down wild animals without getting hurt themselves, so imagine what you can do if you use your head in using your fists. It's ok to screw around and experiment afterward, but if you just start from scratch on your own then you won't have a clue, trust me. THAT'S the type that always gets into fights because they have no idea what they're doing and they have to act tough because in reality they know they're not, so they get paranoid and insecure. Also don't ever work with someone who does stupid things that can get you injured-- remember, safety first.
Finally, think about entering competitions, and make sure you have an instructor who can encourage and support you in training for them; this way it's safe, controlled, and never personal.

Edited by - DanSevering on December 24 2002 14:44:35

PeedeeShaolin
12/24/2002 4:29pm,
I have personally trained children for full contact MMA events. The events are full contact to everywhere except the head(no hitting the head). You would be very surprised at how good these kids are.

Kids also compete in NAGA nearly every month with full no gi submission rules. All submission except heel hooks allowed. To say they arent skiled is ignorant. Some of these kids are unbelievable.

The last picture is a hip crank that I can guarantee nobody here has ever pulled off against a resisting opponent. That kid doing it is 7.

http://www.nagafighter.com/tournaments/2002nagc/photos/KidFight9e.jpg

http://www.nagafighter.com/tournaments/2002nagc/photos/KidFight9a.jpg

http://www.nagafighter.com/tournaments/2002nagc/photos/KidFight9.jpg

http://www.nagafighter.com/tournaments/2002nagc/photos/KidGi4.jpg

http://www.nagafighter.com/tournaments/2002nagc/photos/KidFight5.jpg

http://www.nagafighter.com/tournaments/2002nagc/photos/KidFight1.jpg

http://www.nagafighter.com/tournaments/2002nagc/photos/KidFight3.jpg

http://www.nagafighter.com/tournaments/2002nagc/photos/KidFight8.jpg

DanSevering
12/24/2002 5:27pm,
I have personally trained children for full contact MMA events. The events are full contact to everywhere except the head(no hitting the head). You would be very surprised at how good these kids are.
Kids also compete in NAGA nearly every month with full no gi submission rules. All submission except heel hooks allowed. To say they arent skiled is ignorant. Some of these kids are unbelievable.

We were TALKING about kids getting punched in the head and knocked out.
Regardless of skill (and they are NOT as skilled as adults, whatever anecdotal evidence is presented), the fact remains that kids don't have the faculties or maturity to make this determination for themselves to take that type of risk, while they are also impressionable at that age and can be traumatized by that type of experience.
If they have rules for safety, that's entirely different.

Edited by - DanSevering on December 24 2002 16:30:34

gong sau
12/24/2002 8:41pm,
>I said "FOR THE RECORD"-- i.e. for adults-- not children actually knocking each other out-- do you ever read the WHOLE message?

Apparently, this would apply to yourself as well, seeing as I had the same disclaimer on my Thailand comment (i.e. I don't agree with it). Next time, think before you speak, ass.

>Also, Thailand also has pre-school prostitution rings-- or do you consider pedophilia to be just a "cultural difference" as well?

Doesn't apply, because it's illegal, moron.