PDA

View Full Version : all M.A. are the same

Amir
12/22/2002 11:30am,
An Israeli M.A. internet Forum I am a member of, just had it's 4th meeting, and I came to see the similarities of various M.A. even more.

In each meeting, we let 3-4 teachers give us a short lesson from their M.A.
this time it was Bujinkan Budo-Tai-Jutsu (or Ninjutsu if you prefer), Joju-Ryu Karate and Arnis.

I participated in these lessons, and it was so obvious to me:

Text All M.A. are the same thing

We all agree on the same principles : flow, never ending movement, out of the enemies line of attack, use the center line, control balance (self and opponent), use all your body ...

Any arguments of the superiority of one M.A. versus another seem so foolish. O.K. in some places it will take a bit longer to get to the same place, but we had Tai-chi people strike and fight just as fearsomely as the Ju-Jutsu \ Kung-fu \ Karate \Judo or Aikido trainees.

All the differences are in the margins, in minor details of application, where one chooses to stress one point and another, stresses another. Often, the styles in question includes both variations, with no problem.

It's not the first time I have come to this notion, but seeing a large group of M.A.ists practicing together despite the styles differences made me feel I should express this.

Amir

Vargas
12/22/2002 12:46pm,
I think the spirit of martial arts might be similar. Results? I would have to disagree. Technique does matter. If you are doing the wrong move, you are going to get caught, no matter how much 'flow' or 'centerline' you use. Some styles teach the wrong thing, it's as plain as that.

If the above arguement was true, there wouldn't be any need to cross-train or learn ground-fighting to compliment up-fighting (and vice versa). The 'all martial arts are equal' theory just doesn't pan out, in my experience. Do all M.A. have some value? Yes. Equal? No.

The root of this problem is in that second word of the phrase 'martial art'. Art means, to me, placing the emphasis on form over function. If your intent is to intimidate, that's okay, to a point. If you actually wind up fighting, looking good but fighting like crap can have some bad consequences.

I have recently tried branching out and working out at other dojos with different styles. For me, the differences were stark and impossible to hide. It would be nice if all styles worked equally well. That way there wouldn't be this shroud of animosity that seems to cover the martial arts community. However, the evidence hasn't convinced me so far.

Amir
12/23/2002 12:46pm,
Well, all our practice this time was stand up.

But The same locks seem to exist in all M.A. and very similiar responses to threat: leave the line of attack, control the enemy, subdue him. This is true for all from Boxing to tai-chi.

The diffeences stem more from lack of understanding of the other style aims in a certain move, or from a change of approach (more stylish or more brutal, etc.) rather then being ingrained into some styles, as some blelieve.

some things mat apear very different : Aikido & TKD for example, but at thier base the same truths remain. As one progresses, one finds this to be more and more true.

I train for about 12 years, and quite a few of the others train as much or more. The combined experiance made these common features very prominent.

amir