PDA

View Full Version : He wasn’t going to let being hit by a car get in the way of his black belt.

PizDoff
7/06/2004 7:35pm,
Boy stays active after near-fatal accident

By Cliff Hamilton
Odessa American

Brice Parker wasn’t going to let a little thing like being hit by a car get in the way of his black belt.

After being struck by a car in September 2003, Brice, who was 9 at the time, underwent seven surgeries on his left leg during the next nine months.
After each surgery, Brice had to use a wheelchair and re-learn to walk.

He used Taekwondo as a form of physical therapy. During that time he advanced in his training by three belt colors and earned a first-place medal in a weapons competition.
“Through this whole time, each time he went through the recovery process he went right back to Taekwondo,” said David Parker, Brice’s dad.

Brice was walking home from a friend’s house around 6 p.m. Sept. 12, when he stepped off the curb and into the path of a sport utility vehicle at the intersection of 46th Street and Durango Avenue.

He said he could clearly remember the accident.
“I was walking home to eat, and I walked out into the street and it hit me,” Brice said.
Parker, an Odessa Fire Department Battalion Chief, was at home when his son was hit.
“When I came out of the house, I saw where his shoes and his body were, and I knew he would be badly injured,” Parker said.

The impact broke Brice’s left hip and leg and cut his arms and face. He didn’t have any internal or head injuries, however.
“It was a miracle that he was even alive because he was knocked about 80 feet when he was struck,” Parker said.
Brice was taken by ambulance to Medical Center Hospital and then flown to Children’s Covenant Hospital in Lubbock.
Brice’s grandmother, Ruth Fields, said Brice’s mind was on Taekwondo even as hospital staff members were preparing his leg for the flight.

“Brice told me, ‘Don’t forget I have to be at sparring in the morning at nine,’ ” she said.
Brice spent the next two weeks in the Lubbock hospital, undergoing three surgeries to repair his broken hip and shin.
He returned home Sept. 25, with five-inch pins sticking out of his shin and forced to use a wheelchair.
Between September and April, Brice was operated on four more times before his leg and hip healed.
After one surgery on Oct. 30, Brice asked his doctor for a release to attend Taekwondo classes while in his wheelchair.
He also refused to take any pain medication once he left the hospital.

“When I was in ICU, I kind of just wanted it all the time, and I didn’t want that again,” Brice said. “I just took one or two shots and didn’t take any more.”
During the next two weeks, Brice learned a 30-second routine with a pair of nunchucks, swinging the weapon over and around his head and shoulders, and practiced for the test to get another belt.

Brice’s teacher, Laura Zant, said Brice’s drive was incredible.
“He was just hungry for learning. It was just so amazing how hard he worked with everything,” she said. “He didn’t want special treatment. He wanted to do everything he was asked to do.

“When he would do kicks, he would use his hands to push himself off the arm bars and do whatever kick he could do,” she said. “I felt a great deal of pride and amazement as to how far he could go and how hard he was working.”

He competed in a Nov. 15 tournament in his wheelchair, and won first with his nunchuck routine.

Brice said he had felt a need to keep moving.
“I just did it to keep myself out of bed, to keep myself active,” he said. “Sometimes, I wouldn’t leave the house because of the pain.”

Parker said Taekwondo may have expedited Brice’s healing.
“The doctor told us it probably encouraged the healing process and kept him out of a lot of rehabilitation,” he said.
Brice’s dedication to the sport inspired everyone around him.
“This whole family has learned a tremendous lesson watching this little boy struggle for these nine months,” Fields said. “Never in a million years would an adult go through what this boy had to go through for his belts.”

“It’s basically given me an appreciation of what families go through with an accident like this,” Parker said. “It basically strengthened my faith in God.”

Brice, who now walks unassisted and turned 10 on March 7, also learned a much simpler lesson from his ordeal.
“Look both ways before you cross the street,” he said.

http://www.oaoa.com/news/nw070504b.htm

***Article Edited for Added Readability and Emphasis***

Fucking SUVs killing off our black belt children!

At least this kid is a badass, staving off pain using his inner strength and not pain killers. Now his school, parents and dojo need to teach him how to look the **** around when crossing the street.

Hannibal
7/06/2004 8:06pm,
Glad to see the kid has persistance.

Psycho Dad
7/06/2004 9:46pm,
Kinda makes things look silly doesn't it? Go up three belts in an MA that relies primarily on kicks when you're wheelchair bound.

::Offers a bottle of Yuengling as consolation to Osiris.::

dadaggie
7/06/2004 10:15pm,
I read the post and said to myself "Sounds like something PizDoff would say".

lo and behold, guess who started the thread?

So, the kid got his black belt. In what - Wheelchair Fu Do?

Antagony
7/06/2004 10:18pm,
If I got stuck in a wheelchair I'd learn boxing.

PizDoff
7/07/2004 9:04am,
Or ninjitsu! Or a sword art, with concealed carrying license to go along with that.

BTW, I have no online persona....

Ronin
7/07/2004 9:08am,
I once read about a TKD black belt in a wheelchair....

SlimJim
7/07/2004 9:13am,
This is tragic...in every single facet of the story.

PizDoff
7/07/2004 9:36am,
More fun!

Wheelchair-bound martial artist enshrined in hall of fame
http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=7184&highlight=wheelchair

Paralysed man becomes ninja
http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2259&highlight=wheelchair

Self Defense for the Disabled
http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=6552&highlight=wheelchair

Zeddy
7/07/2004 9:41am,
There's a wheelchair bound karate guy down here in Australia who was recently in Blitz. He teaches some kind of karate, if I recall correctly.

I don't have any gripes against giving a traditional belt (read: not orientated towards physical combat/combat sports), but having a disabled guy who hasn't walked since early childhood teaching able bodied people? Hmmmm......

Loki
7/10/2004 2:36am,
I dont know wether to admire those people or be sick....

Te(V)plar
7/10/2004 3:29am,
Dude, it's IMPOSSIBLE to do a double leg takedown on a wheelchair bound cripple. THEY'VE GOT TEH ANTI GRAPPL3... believe me, I've tried.

EternalRage
7/13/2004 2:06pm,
YUENG LING!!!!