PDA

View Full Version : your style being good

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Jenfucius
7/05/2004 9:40am,
so is it enough to know that your style is good, or do you have to force your opinion about your style down other people's throats?

Osu
7/05/2004 9:44am,
Originally posted by Jenfucius
so is it enough to know that your style is good, or do you have to force your opinion about your style down other people's throats?

Only on Bullshido :D

Onecardshort
7/05/2004 9:44am,
gibbering on the floor with laughter as I consider the source of this eminently reasonable question...

Osu
7/05/2004 9:46am,
Originally posted by Onecardshort
gibbering on the floor with laughter as I consider the source of this eminently reasonable question...

So says the aikido instructor... :rolleyes:

CaptShady
7/05/2004 9:47am,
For a lot of kids, that's exactly it. They not only want acknowledgement that theirs is "the best", they want everyone to say so.

Locu5
7/05/2004 9:59am,
i originally thought this site was for people who studied bullshido to come and get validation that they were indeed t3h d34dly. i think the original domain and this newer one are really misleading like that. i am really disappointed with all of this reality crap we see daily.

BeeVaEeTa
7/05/2004 10:05am,
Not concerned about style, just whether or not i'd be able to hold my own against an opponent in the ring, or on th3 str33t...

Osu
7/05/2004 10:06am,
Originally posted by locu5
i originally thought this site was for people who studied bullshido to come and get validation that they were indeed t3h d34dly. i think the original domain and this newer one are really misleading like that. i am really disappointed with all of this reality crap we see daily.

I like reality. I live in it every now and then.

WingChun Lawyer
7/05/2004 10:11am,
Originally posted by Jenfucius

Forcing your opinion down other people´s throats is violence. Being able to force your opinion down other people´s throats is a skill which every martial artist works hard to achieve.

Das Moose
7/05/2004 10:19am,
I figured the whole point of bullshido was to find truth about martial arts - whether they work in fighting. Discussing and criticising different styles and methods helps find truth.

Te No Kage!
7/05/2004 10:24am,
It's funny because I've never heard any stories of "nutriders" showing up at throwdowns. People who need acknowledgement have low self-esteem and are weak-spirited. Anybody who doesn't realize that their ass could be kicked by anybody at any time needs to shut up and train harder.

Jenfucius
7/05/2004 10:24am,
Originally posted by Osu
So says the aikido instructor... :rolleyes:

yes, another case of the pot calling the kettle black. though i should say that i respect onecard for having a sense of humor, unlike most of his brainwashed militantly psychotic colleagues...

Te No Kage!
7/05/2004 10:27am,
I don't know Jen, I haven't seen any aikido nutriding for quite some time. Besides the latest Hapkiyusool-we're-not-hapkido guys, most of it seems to be RBSD and MMA wannabees who only have MA experience by watching Pride and UFC on tv.

Locu5
7/05/2004 10:30am,
TKN: i think the feeling of invincibility is generally inversely proportional to how much sparring one has done. my list of who can kick my ass doesn't really get smaller, every time i think i'm doing OK, there are plenty of people willing to remind me i am t3h suck :-)

BeeVaEeTa
7/05/2004 10:35am,
Just as I was beginning to think that I was getting better (at sparring), i started hitting harder (thus getting hit back harder) and going toe-to-toe with guys with alot more experience and ended up with two nicely corked thighs, etc. Needless to say walking the next day was a bitch. Bounced back alot quicker than expected, though.

A bit of pain is always good for conditioning...

Onecardshort
7/05/2004 10:45am,
Hey, aikido people have the right to have issues, those hakamas chaff something fierce.

OK, tries to get serious now (wipes tear from eye as he realises he's having a moment with Jenfenshui) - the problem normally comes from having any universal yard-stick to measure "good" as well deciding who's opinion to listen to.

I used to have one measure - do I like it. The fact that my art was effective was self-evident from the fact that the darlings who taught me were such nice gentlemen who had the scars to prove they'd been around a bar stool a few times and were generally of the less than refined type. Then up pops bullshido, with it's namby-pamby ways, insistence on verifiable proof and non-acceptence of anecdotal evidence and information on a wide range of arts (and new swear words - wow).

So, I now have two measure of "good" - do I like it and now the new improved "will this **** ever work". Do I need others to accept my opinion? - to be frank, no, but I'm always happy to listen and sometimes yous lot even make sense.