PDA

View Full Version : preliminaries...

fang shen do
6/25/2004 11:55am,
For my sparring session Sunday at the cultural academy of MA that is.
Since it's the first time that I do this kind of thing I'll ask some advices:
1) How should I introduce myself, should I say what is the name of my style, what reason should I give for a sparring session?
2) the rules, is it me or the owner, or the sparring partner that sets the rules?
3)should I come at the begining or at the end of the class, and should I attend a class?
4) what should I try to remember when I'll post the report on the board, what are the important issues?

for those who don't know what I'm talking about:http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=13685

Don Gwinn
6/25/2004 12:10pm,
I would advise you to be REALLY friendly.

I don't see the harm in telling them what your style is.

I would want to participate in making the rules. Don't just accept everything they lay out (unless what they lay out looks fair to you, upon consideration.)

I've never done it either, so take my advice with a bucket of salt.

Dochter
6/25/2004 12:20pm,
Way to step up.

Call and say that you've got 4 years of heavy contact sparring and that you are simply looking to see how it compares to other schools in the area. Hell tell them that readings on the internet showed you the importance of training with lots of people and different styles.

Tell them you are interested in some friendly sparring. Hazzarding a guess they'll probably have you take the class and then participate in the sparring. Hopefully.

After you meet with them and give your report email them the thread url and ask them to comment.

Dochter
6/25/2004 12:25pm,
Originally posted by fang shen do
For my sparring session Sunday at the cultural academy of MA that is.
Since it's the first time that I do this kind of thing I'll ask some advices:
1) How should I introduce myself, should I say what is the name of my style, what reason should I give for a sparring session?
2) the rules, is it me or the owner, or the sparring partner that sets the rules?
3)should I come at the begining or at the end of the class, and should I attend a class?
4) what should I try to remember when I'll post the report on the board, what are the important issues?

1) call and give your name.
2) unless you want an honest to goodness challenge match you just want to spar according to their rules (make sure they are heavy continuous contact and that you know them).
3) as mentioned above
4)be objective. mention the good and the bad. Noone wants a puff piece.

Fa Jing
6/25/2004 12:25pm,
Act as you would at any new school/job. Sit back, shut up, act humble and learn.