PDA

View Full Version : Have you guys read this?

Pages : [1] 2 3

The_Ghost
6/23/2004 5:18pm,
No nonsense Self Defense (http://www.nononsenseselfdefense.com/martialarts.html)

Have you guys read this stuff? It is hilarious. He attack Grappling arts and says they won't help in a fight, he says beyond any military arts (i.e. Krav Magra, Sambo, etc) martial arts are not meant for fighting. Some of it is just plain ignorance. Check out the site sometime.

EDIT: All though if you read his topic on Martial Art Pirates (McDojos) he has a lot of insight. And he gives some good stuff on some of the pages.

Phoenix
6/23/2004 5:18pm,
Yeah, I read that before. What a gong show.

The guy's a fucking idiot.

The_Ghost
6/23/2004 5:23pm,
Bottomline: Nobody 'owns' the TRUTH™ about martial arts and self-defense. Nobody can teach you the "true" version of a martial art. Nor can they teach you about self-defense without including a wide variety of topics other than just physical. If they say they can, they are lying...usually to get your money. No "traditional" art from a distant and exotic place, no matter how physically effective, can teach you about the modern cultural, legal and pragmatic standards of fighting in your country. These little issues seriously affect "real fighting."

Anyone who can say this, and then go on to say that all Traditional Martial Arts are crap because of it is pathetic...he's trying to sell his stuff.

dadaggie
6/23/2004 5:53pm,
Isn't it weird that he tells you that most MA instructors are trying to sell you something then in his later pages he gives you the price for his classes, seminars, etc...

Just another guy who grew up on the "mean streets" and wants to scam you out of money by teaching you "his" style. Being in the business for 35 years to me means this is his latest attempt to make mo money...

The_Ghost
6/23/2004 5:58pm,
Yeah this guy says he got the name "The Animal" in the streets of LA for 20 years. He grew up on the mean streets...and he doesn't want you getting sold to some martial art. So buy his stuff instead...

Leodom
6/23/2004 5:59pm,
His section "my attitude on martial arts" mirrors many opinions I have read on this forum. So he's trying to make a buck, good for him.

Just a quick opinion based on reading 3 paragraphs from 1 page.

OT - so dadaggie, Texas A&M grad? what year?

Djimbe
6/23/2004 6:23pm,
yeah , Id say more than 75% of his stuff Echoes like it came off the pages of Bullshido , honestly .

APNITB
6/23/2004 6:30pm,
If you wish to market yourself, by all means go ahead. However, don't claim to have the end all system. I happen to have grown up in Los Angeles myself, and Ive never heard of em. If someone came up to us and said he was called animal, he would win prolly cuz we'd be on the ground laughing at him.

JKing
6/23/2004 6:47pm,
I've emailed this guy about a year ago discussing his opinion. Basically his opinion is this: After some discussion the most I could get out of him was that "martial arts could improve your chances in a fight, but not assure it."

The guy isn't all that smart though. Half his email rambled on, and it had the worst typos and grammar I had seen in a long time. He got his point across, but I had to reread it more than once. Wish I had saved it now.

EternalRage
6/23/2004 7:01pm,
I really don't see anything wrong with it.

"He attack Grappling arts and says they won't help in a fight" - Ghost I don't think he means the type of fight where you walk into a bar and some drunk fukk starts some ****. I think he means when you're cornered in an alley with 1-3 guys who have probably served jail time holding guns or knives wanting your Visa.

Read his thing on grappling:
http://www.nononsenseselfdefense.com/grappling.html

"Should you learn floorfighting? Absolutely." He does acknowledge the importance of it. He does bring up alot of good points about the dangers of grappling outside of the school. It is a growing trend that just as Taekwondo people think a 360 jump spinning kickamathingy will do the job, grapplers are starting to think that going to the ground is the best way to save your life... due to the successes of grappling in MMA, UFC type events - which as the guy states on the page. Granted those types of events are way better than those stupid ass point tournaments - its still different from the street.

This guy is a little different than bullshido.com tho.... hes pretty much saying everything is bullshit when taken out of the context it was made for.

Freddy
6/23/2004 7:17pm,
Originally posted by The_Ghost
No nonsense Self Defense (http://www.nononsenseselfdefense.com/martialarts.html)

Have you guys read this stuff? It is hilarious. He attack Grappling arts and says they won't help in a fight, he says beyond any military arts (i.e. Krav Magra, Sambo, etc) martial arts are not meant for fighting. Some of it is just plain ignorance. Check out the site sometime.

EDIT: All though if you read his topic on Martial Art Pirates (McDojos) he has a lot of insight. And he gives some good stuff on some of the pages.

Good find Ghost!

We had a good laugh.:p

The_Ghost
6/23/2004 7:47pm,
Originally posted by Freddy
Good find Ghost!

We had a good laugh.:p

Eh...I'm trying to do something for bullshido.

toothpaste100
6/23/2004 9:18pm,
I just spent a good hour reading through the entire website and he says nothing insulting grappling arts, only that going to the floor in a real fight is unrealistic.

The guy is pretty vague and his writing his tiresome but he is right about a lot of his stuff and he is onto bushido just like you.

Instead of jumping on a bandwagon, I ask you all to atleast read this guys stuff first.

SRK85
6/23/2004 9:59pm,
These days, I say "Traditional martial arts suck for fighting." Now before you get your knickers in a knot over that statement, let me clarify it. Using the "martial arts" for fighting is like going into the Louvre museum, taking all the priceless works of art there and using them to wallpaper an outhouse.

Wow what a douche bag. I don't understand why hes hating traditional martial arts.

Hawkeye
6/24/2004 12:45am,
This guy has a book called "Pool Cues, Beer Bottles and Baseball Bats." I want that **** for my bookself.

tsunamiflood
6/24/2004 1:09am,
1st: i have not read the website - no time right now. BUT
2nd: Marc "Animal" MacYoung (McYoung?) - the man has written some really enjoyable, practical books. Very fun reading - good mindset. He's way into crosstraining and everything, so i'm surprised more of you aren't nutriding him - you must not know enough about him yet.
3rd: i have no idea of his skill as a martial artist. and yes, his books ramble sometimes - but maybe not so much as his e-mail - that's what editors are for.
get one of his books - you'll enjoy it. the Pool Cues one is REALLY fun.