PDA

View Full Version : Sub-League @SBG/IL

fernando
6/14/2004 6:36pm,
Guy's, I'm looking at putting together a Sub-League rules grappling tourny at the SBG, IL. Rosi Sexton, NHB and subwrestling athlete has come up with a system of brackets and scoring that is awesome. As a competitor we have all sat through hours of waiting only to roll 2 times. I've even heard of one dude that sat around for 6 hours, and had to leave for work without ever stepping on the mat. With Sub-League rules you will roll as many times as there are people in your class so, 8 competitors means 8 matches. It works on points accumulated rather than elimanation, so if you lose a match you still have a chance to win the over-all, and more importantly, you get to keep rolling.

More rollin' means more learning and thats the point right?

If you are interested, e-mail me at, [email protected]

We are locking in the dates and I should have a solid date by Wednesday.

Vargas
6/14/2004 8:13pm,
So, it's a modified round-robin, but with a big point total kept to determine the final match up for 1st and 2nd place or something like that? How many points do you get for ending a match via submission? I definitely like the sound of the multiple matches but damn, you'd be pretty spent after 4 or 5 hard matches of 5 or 6 minutes each. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing :)

Also, how are they breaking down the experience levels? The usual beginner/intermediate/advanced or something different? Grappler's Quest and NAGA are still fighting their usual battles against sand-baggers in the beginning divisions, so it would be interesting to see if that kind of thing pops up in this kind of tournament.

Dammit, now I'm getting the urge to compete again. Just when I thought I'd had my last no-gi tournament, I had to read a thread like this :)

SunTzu
6/14/2004 11:37pm,
Round-robin is like a kick in the balls. I did one of those last year and after the third match it felt like the time I almost drowned as a kid. But I did get to meet the guys from the Tarawa.

fernando
6/14/2004 11:58pm,
Contests take place on a 10m by 10m mat area. Matches start from standing. Fighters who move onto or outside the red border when standing can (at the discretion of the referee) be restarted in the centre of the mat. If fighters move outside the area while on the ground (both fighters have at least one knee down) then the action is frozen and they are moved back to the centre of the mat in their current position. Deliberately or repeatedly moving outside the area will be considered as stalling and penalised accordingly.

Ways to win:
Submission (physical and verbal), Referees Stoppage (medical or rule infringement), Corner stops fight.

Time limit:
1 x 4min round per bout

Fouls
No: striking, biting, fish hooking, gouging (including chin in eye socket, thumb in armpit or between ribs etc), hair pulling, heel hooks (or other locks designed to apply twisting pressure to the knee), neck cranks or compressions, small joint manipulations (fingers, thumbs and toes), point of elbow pressure on head or throat, web of thumb pressure on throat, deliberately throwing or slamming an opponent onto their head, eliberately or repeatedly moving outside the designated mat area, stalling or refusing to engage with an opponent

Committing 3 fouls in a match results in an automatic disqualification. However, the referee has discretion to disqualify immediately after a serious, dangerous or deliberate foul.

Referees:
The referee can stop or restart a match at any time if he considers it necessary for safety reasons. The referee’s decision is final and non-negotiable.

Dochter
6/15/2004 1:49am,
"point of elbow pressure on head "

we're taught when going for the classic arm bar where you roll the guy onto his side to figure four the arm to pin the guy's head with the elbow (aka drive like hell through their skull with your elbow) while setting up to swing the leg around. Would this be illegal?