PDA

View Full Version : Does not wanting to fight make you weak ??

Pages : [1] 2 3

tai-gip
6/11/2004 5:41am,
Just because some people who train a lot in ma choose to avoid fighting and dont tell others what they know or are actualy capable of does this make them weaker or are they stronger because they know within themselves what point they are at without the need to prove it to themselves by proving it to others.

Te(V)plar
6/11/2004 5:44am,
It makes you a *****.

Actually, it's probably beneficial not to reveal your strengths. Most guys would be pretty surprised if you pulled an armbar out of nowhere on them. On the other hand, if they know you do a hardcore MA, they're likely to think twice about fucking with you (except for "tough" guys, but like the saying goes: All the tough guys I know are dead or in jail). From a legal standpoint, fighting is rarely advisable, at least in the sue Happy US. I'm not sure how the Aussies are in such regards. Of course, regardless, no matter how much you dont want to, sometimes you just gotta bust some heads.

SLJ
6/11/2004 5:48am,
Keep your training to yourself as best you can, then bust someones arm when you need to.

That's my view.

alex
6/11/2004 5:51am,
I don't tell people I train. my friends know and we talk about it, but in general I try not to let it become general knowledge for a few reasons-

the questions. oh **** how i hate the questions- "what if I did this? can you break a board? what about rocks? reckon you could kill bruce lee? what belt are you?"

secondly, the cock contest. a lot of guys with puffed up chests who think they are "streetfighters" because they once gangbashed someone would love to pit their skills against a martial artist.

and finally, telling everyone you do MA makes you look like a twat.

SLJ
6/11/2004 5:56am,
LOL, my feelings exactly.

Te No Kage!
6/11/2004 6:03am,
1) Don't talk to strangers, ie give as little info about yourself to people that aren't your friends

2) You don't take MA for other people, you take it for yourself

3) only you can decide if you're a ***** or not, it's not how many asses you can kick, it's a state of mind, if somebody gives you a beating, you're not a ***** because you lost (anybody can get their ass beat on any given day) and you won't be a ***** if you take it like a man

MUT
6/11/2004 6:24am,
Showing off isnt really the best policy in MA......or anything for that matter.

Matsufubu
6/11/2004 6:31am,
If you are strong, feign weakness; if you are weak, feign strength.

Can't remember where I read that.

I don't tell people I do MA, because of general stupid questions and people wanting to challenge me. And they usually complain if they get hurt.

Te(V)plar
6/11/2004 6:35am,
Am I the only one that gets a kick out of people's dumb questions?

SLJ
6/11/2004 6:36am,
Yep.

After a while they get annoying.

Te(V)plar
6/11/2004 6:47am,
Meh, Im probably a sick bastard that enjoys stupidity and attention.

lost future
6/11/2004 6:49am,
Originally posted by Matsufubu
If you are strong, feign weakness; if you are weak, feign strength.

Can't remember where I read that.

I think the film was called "gladiator". Some guy had to box because his father had debts. In the end he had to fight his manager (who used to box) without gloves.

Clyde
6/11/2004 7:04am,
Originally posted by tai-gip
Just because some people who train a lot in ma choose to avoid fighting and dont tell others what they know or are actualy capable of does this make them weaker or are they stronger because they know within themselves what point they are at without the need to prove it to themselves by proving it to others.

Is it that you don't like to fight or just putting up with idiots that ask all the stupid questions, and have a friend who has a friend that's a 6th Degree TKD and wants to meet you or what? Food, Fuckin', Fightin' (Irish Blood), I live for those three things in life, and not in any particular order. I tell people what I do because I'm proud of my accomplishments, but if they get stupid, they pay the price, and I'm always happy to collect. Not wanting to fight doesn't make you weak, it's a smart decision, and it keeps you safe and out of jail. Don't sweat it dude.

Clyde

alex
6/11/2004 7:17am,
its not the fighting for me, really. I hope to get some ring experience at some stage in the future, and im always happy to throw down in a friendly match, or while training. A street fight is not something I want any part of though because there are far too many things you cant control.

Ronin
6/11/2004 7:26am,
A ***** is someone who does NOT fight because he is AFRAID of getting beat up.
Its not that complicated.
Look into yourself and ask:
Do I avoid conflict because I am above it, or because I am intimidated by it?
Do I avoid fighting because its "wrong", or because I am afraid of getting beat up?
If I avoid fighting because its "wrong", why am I in the Martial arts, which are about fighting?
Can I fight IF I MUST ?
Will I fight when I must ?

tai-gip
6/11/2004 7:29am,
i think a ***** is someone who fights because he is afraid rather thatn facing the fear and beating it down