PDA

View Full Version : Grappling mats

Pages : [1] 2

Beavis
6/10/2004 8:44am,
I've agreed to start coaching a new beginner's grappling club at my workplace gym. The class will take place at the aerobics studio of my gym. It's a good size, but it has wooden floors. I pointed out that this was unsuitable, so I have been given a budget to buy some mats.

I've never dealt with this sort of thing before, so can anyone recommend somewhere to buy suitable mats from? Or what sort of thickness I will need?

Basically, I want the cheapest mats possible, as long as they are of sufficient quality to stop people getting hurt.

I will need delivery to London so keep this in mind for prices/sites.

Thanks.

SLJ
6/10/2004 8:52am,
Try getting old ones from a school somewhere.

Where bouts in London is your gym ?

Ming Loyalist
6/10/2004 9:02am,
i am waiting on delivery of 4 zebra mats (1 meter sq. each jigsaw style) so i can post a quality review once i get them. they are around $25USD each from where i am getting them. usually you can get a discount for bulk orders.

zebra also makes larger tri-fold mats that are around $300 each, not sure exactly.

i'm sure you can find them or similar mats online from a uk site.

if you are really on a tight budget you might ask around at judo/grappling schools to see if any are getting rid of their old mats.

fragbot
6/10/2004 10:10am,
Echoing Ming Loyallists' post, zebra mats are nice.

I've also heard good things about Mike Swain's mats.

Beneath Contempt
6/10/2004 11:17am,
If you just want the cheapest possible, order some of the foamy Brazilian ones - like the Jet Power or something. It works out something like 120 for a 2.5 x 2.5 area.

Otherwise, you're stuck. Sometimes on Ebay there are old mats for sale, but generally it's Judo mats - which are excellent, but expensive. The Neil Adams Gee Mats are something like 80 each.

You can try Judodirect.com. See if they'll give you a club discount.

Beavis
6/10/2004 11:22am,
Thanks for the replies guys!

I work just off the Strand, right next to Charing Cross/Embankment. This gym is just part of the building. It's pretty cool and modern, especially for a workplace gym.

It's not that tight a budget that I'll need old mats - it's just that I literally don't know which shops/websites to go to and I want to make sure that I don't get ripped off, or get anything that's just rubbish.

Just about to check Judodirect.com.

Beavis
6/10/2004 11:32am,
What depth do I need? 2cm? 3? 4? 5?

Beneath Contempt
6/10/2004 12:17pm,
Depends what you're doing, and what the floor underneath is like. If it's solid like concrete you'll need a thicker mat. If it's hollow floorboards, maybe less.

If you're going to be doing any throwing, 4cm is the minimum really. If it's groundfighting ONLY, then you cam get away with a 2cm.

Beavis
6/10/2004 5:15pm,
Thanks very much. :)

Deadpan Scientist
6/11/2004 2:59am,
wtf, zebra mats are like 100 USD for a 1m x 2 m mat for the grappling ones. or are you going to use these: http://www.zebramats.com/jpgs/productpics/puzzle.jpg
??

The grappling mats are great though. Brandeis has a whole room full of them.

Ming Loyalist
6/11/2004 8:55am,
yes exactly, as i said in my post zebra makes 2 kinds of mats, i am getting the 1 meter sq. jiqsaw version. i wish i could afford the others. but this is just for working on ground techniques at home, and they seemed like an economical solution for the person who asked in the first place.

Originally posted by brandeissansoo
wtf, zebra mats are like 100 USD for a 1m x 2 m mat for the grappling ones. or are you going to use these: http://www.zebramats.com/jpgs/productpics/puzzle.jpg
??

The grappling mats are great though. Brandeis has a whole room full of them.

Beavis
6/11/2004 9:07am,
Thanks but it looks like Zebra is a US-based company. It'll probably cost a fortune to have those shipped over.

Freddy
6/11/2004 1:14pm,
The probelm with some cheap mats is you get what you pay for. Its only when you are thrown that you realize you should have gotten better mats. I use to have some decent matts many years ago but o but I lost them all now. One of them even caught on fire when it was too near some electrical wires and up in it went.
I have to get my some new mats soon though. But dont go too cheap or your back will be paying for it.

Freddy
6/11/2004 1:16pm,
Originally posted by Ming Loyalist
yes exactly, as i said in my post zebra makes 2 kinds of mats, i am getting the 1 meter sq. jiqsaw version. i wish i could afford the others. but this is just for working on ground techniques at home, and they seemed like an economical solution for the person who asked in the first place.

My freind you better make sure these are the types of mats you want. They arnt too good to be thrown on. Ground tech. okay though.

Jenfucius
6/11/2004 11:52pm,
grapple dez nuts!

Ming Loyalist
6/12/2004 7:39pm,
Originally posted by Freddy
My freind you better make sure these are the types of mats you want. They arnt too good to be thrown on. Ground tech. okay though.

yeah i took that into account... see i live in an apartment building (nice hardwood floors at least so there is some bounce.) and am pretty sure that if i threw someone or got thrown here that i would probably make my downstairs neighbor's ceiling plaster come down (so i save that stuff for the school.) these are just to drill ground techniques with my student. i'm lucky they don't complain when i'm kicking my heavy bag.