PDA

View Full Version : And they wonder why they are made fun of

Pages : [1] 2 3

Miguksaram
6/09/2004 9:04am,
New USTU TKD rule for juniors (http://www.ustu.org/index.php?option=content&task=view&id=36&Itemid=2)

So what do you all think?

MrMcFu
6/09/2004 9:08am,
“The competitor is allowed to kick to the facial area; however, the kick must be light contact with absolute control without causing an injury or excessive contact, or the appropriate penalty shall be invoked.”

Is there anyone here who can "lightly" kick an opponent in the head during competition? I don't think so . . .

SLJ
6/09/2004 9:08am,
They may aswell just do gymnastics, it's less gay.

Onecardshort
6/09/2004 9:11am,
although almost everyone agreed that safety for athletes in their prime physiological developmental years should be of ultimate importance so how did this one go? Did one or two people say, "nah, just let the little fuckers kick each other senseless"?

Te No Kage!
6/09/2004 9:17am,
Originally posted by Onecardshort
so how did this one go? Did one or two people say, "nah, just let the little fuckers kick each other senseless"?

LOL

Miguksaram
6/09/2004 9:53am,
They are evening talking about making no head kicks allowed as a rule. I was looking for that news. They are still in the voting stages of it though.

MM4Guy
6/09/2004 10:32am,
I feel sorry for the moms who they think their kid achieved something by winning.

I started fighting with elbows when I was younger than 13, then again I have probably have brain damage/and I torture puppies.

Don Gwinn
6/09/2004 10:48am,
I honestly can't figure out what's wrong with not allowing kids to kick each other in the face during competition. That would be my preferred rule. I've got two seven-year old boys (twins) I'll be enrolling in TKD this summer, and that doesn't bother me a bit. Honestly, the silliest thing about it is allowing the kick but saying it should be "light contact" and can never cause injury. That means the smart kids will simply decide on their own not to kick to the face, but some of the little goobers are still going to get toes shoved up their noses.

There are techniques that don't belong in childrens' programs. You know, Pop Warner football doesn't allow cut blocks to the knees, either. Maybe they should?

And before anyone asks, no, they're not going to a McDojo. They will be taught that they are learning some fighting attributes, but not learning to win a real fight. They will be learning an aggressive and physical game (WTF TKD) and not a fighting art. I've got no problem with that as long as it's not one being sold as the other.

Don Gwinn
6/09/2004 10:53am,
MM4Guy, kids don't achieve anything by winning unless they win at fighting? Are you serious?

What about all those moms who think their kids accomplished something by winning at baseball? Basketball? Hockey? Spelling Bees?

TKD is a sport. Its tournaments are games. No argument that they're not real fighting, but as long as they're not being sold as deadly streetfighting secrets, who cares? To say that winning at TKD tournament means you haven't accomplished anything is ridiculous. Winning a sporting competition IS an accomplishment whether you like it or not.

And if your only answer is "STFU n00b" I shall have no choice but to laugh at you whether you can beat me up or not. Sorry; I don't make the rules.

willy
6/09/2004 10:58am,
don,

why not judo or bjj, where it is still a sport but they have the ability to A. learn effective fighting moves. B. use these moves against resisting opponents. C. injury risk is very low. D. restance training that will help get them used to physicality of real fighting and help build muscle and burn calories better

MaverickZ
6/09/2004 11:06am,
"help build muscle and burn calories better"

better?

bushi51
6/09/2004 5:27pm,
[email protected] Osiris. You guys wit makes me envious.

Dochter
6/09/2004 5:36pm,
Originally posted by Don Gwinn
And before anyone asks, no, they're not going to a McDojo. They will be taught that they are learning some fighting attributes, but not learning to win a real fight. They will be learning an aggressive and physical game (WTF TKD) and not a fighting art. I've got no problem with that as long as it's not one being sold as the other.

While I agree with the sentiment, I have a few questions:

1) How often are students in these sorts of organizations actually taught that?
2) How often is that statement reflected in their attitude about what they do (i.e. the notorious WTF TKD blackbelt who is teh sup3r d3adly)?
3) Is it really reaonable to classify something that you consider to not be fighting per se as such (we are talking about a martial art here)?

The reports others have given of their experience here makes me think the things you're saying they aren't learning, is something they frequently do.

Also I'd say you're analogy is flawed, it'd be more similar if pop warner were strictly flag.

m4949
6/10/2004 11:31am,
I Agree with Osiris on a lot of this. It really doesn't matter, espically in Jrs competition.
Lets face it, WTF TKD is a sport. This is sport competition for kids.
I think the Biggest problem with TKD now is not WTF competition, but WTF "masters" claiming it's SD as well.

Besides, It's a hard argument to say kids should be allowed to go full contact to the head. That's like saying I need an AK-47 to hunt deer.

Phoenix
6/10/2004 12:32pm,
USTU, WTF, ITF, IOC....

These are the reasons I quit TKD. Too many goddamn politics.

I think if alot of these guys spent more time training and less time bullshitting eachother, they'd actually be able to fight.

erictbrown1
6/10/2004 12:59pm,
That is why people are leaving TKD way tooo many politics.