PDA

View Full Version : Colorado Springs, CO: Ninja University - Legal ramifications of taking pictures?

Pages : [1] 2

joen00b
6/08/2004 12:58pm,
So, I wanted to run around this weekend and take pictures of all the McDojo's here in Colorado Springs, as we are overflowing with them, everything from the Cult Like Belt Factories to the downright ludicrous 'Ninja University'. But, while driving around, taking a few test snapshots with the GF, she worried about Legal Problems arising from me posting a school as a McDojo. Would Phrost be held liable for the defmation of the school? Would I be held liable? Is there anything wrong with snapping a picture of a school's entrance and posting it?

Basically, I don't want to get anyone in trouble 'law-like', but I would love to share some pictures of these Belt Factories with the masses.

Can anyone say for certain Bullshido.com or myself cannot be found legally guilty of defamation or libel?

Freddy
6/08/2004 1:24pm,
First of all you should make sure you have ample evidence a school is really a McDojo or your going to get into serious legal problems. No claims should be made unless theres some proof. Or at best say "Susupected Mc Dojo". As for pictures are concern I dont know. It depends on the photograpy laws where you guys are. As for taking pictures for personal use. I dont see any problem with that.

punchingdummy
6/08/2004 1:28pm,
I would think if you posted pictures, explained what you observed in a factual manner, then asked others for their opinions you would probably be safe...but one of the legal eagles on the board could offer more professional advice.

Locu5
6/08/2004 1:47pm,
though, courts have consistently found that citizens are free to publish and use photos taken from public view

joen00b
6/08/2004 2:39pm,
I'll probably post a bunch of pictures with no comments, let our usual suspects around here make their own acute assumptions as to what happens behind their Bruce Lee Image laden doors.

Mr. Mantis
6/08/2004 2:51pm,
Originally posted by joen00b
Would Phrost be held liable for the defmation of the school?

No

Would I be held liable?

You could if you are wrong.

Is there anything wrong with snapping a picture of a school's entrance and posting it?

No, unless you use it for monetary gain.

Also, anyone can be sued whether or not they are liable. Keep that in mind.

joen00b
6/08/2004 2:56pm,
Thanks Mr. Mantis, pictures will be coming after this weekend, then. Who knows, I may even get out this week to take care of them. I asked my GF to pose by the schools, but she didn't want a bunch of 'immature net jockeys waxing their batpoles to her', so no go on that end. Just the school entrances.

Chupacabra
6/08/2004 3:24pm,
The opinions expressed on Bullshido are those of the individual members/posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of the staff or ownership. Any questions may be directed to the staff by posting in the support forum. All material herein (C) Bullshido 2003, 2004

Omega Supreme
6/08/2004 6:32pm,
joe you've got a pm.

joen00b
6/08/2004 6:54pm,
Actually, here's the link, do with it what you will:

http://www.ninja-university.com/

fang shen do
6/08/2004 7:13pm,
One word : ninja-robic (or is that 2 erm whatever..)
http://www.ninja-university.com/index.cfm?page=7

Teryan
6/08/2004 9:23pm,
Living in Coloardo too, I dont know of any laws prohibiting taking photos of MA schools. We've got the first adment to freedom of speech, so you/phrost wont get in trouble for it unless it is defemation of face, IE your accusing them of being some thing they are not. Like spreading roomers that arn't true. So if you do, like other people have said, define mcdojo, put a discamer that it is the oppinon of you.

Chuan
6/08/2004 10:01pm,
SASORI-RYU NINJUTSU
THIS PROGRAM BASED ON THE CHI-FU-KA NINJUTSU SYSTEM OF GRANDMASTER EUGENE DAVID FLOYD. HERE THE STUDENT WILL LEARN SELF-DEFENSE,WEAPONS,FORM AND TACTICAL MANUVERS ON THE WAY TO MASTER NINJA SKILLS OF THE SASORI RYU KAI

What the Hell? Another mix of Chinese and Japanese?

Sam Browning
6/08/2004 11:47pm,
Instead of posting a picture and saying the place is a McDojo or fraud, just post the picture with only identifying information and a discription. "I never knew we had a real ninja university in boulder, Colorado.", "Would it be possible for them to place more ninja turtle stickers on their windows?"

Sam Browning
6/08/2004 11:53pm,
Actually joen,

This school looks ripe for a non-ninja infiltration. Since they have a woman's only class why not take the girlfriend and see how they pitch her? Mention you have a nephew and ask about the kids class. Stupidly mention that you've read books by Stephen Hayes and Ashida Kim. See how they handle you.

JKing
6/09/2004 12:16am,
Well heres my two cents on it

if any text you post along with the pictures is BEFORE HAND NOTED AS BEING OPINIONATED than you shouldn't have a problem. Freedom of speech and all that jazz. You are allowed to see something, and say "in my opinion this is bad because..." but you can't say "this place is this no matter what." If you just specify that its your opinion than I dont see how anyone can go against your freedom of speech.