PDA

View Full Version : Bullshido: My Way

Pages : [1] 2

SMF
6/05/2004 5:54am,
It seems to me that wherever martial arts are freely discussed there is disagreement. This is both natural and healthy. Yet when seeking to expose the “bullshit” in martial arts a disturbing trend occurs. People expect the training methods and ideologies to be in accord with their own ideals. This results to quite frankly silly blanket statements “if they ever punch out of horse stances in rows its crap” “if they don’t spar within 3 months of training get out” “their balance between drill and free training is wrong” et cetera blah blah. Fraudulent claims should be exposed but you must respect that different organizations come at martial arts training in different fashions. If a legitimate school that turns out decent martial artists does things a little differently than yours it does not mean they are wrong.

J-kid
6/05/2004 6:08am,
no

Ippatsu182
6/05/2004 6:09am,
I agree with you. My karate dojo doesn't let people spar until they are atleast a 4th kyu (one belt after white). It usually takes them atleast 6 months to get one, although there are exceptions.

I think most of the people here are tired of false claims, so they're quick to call bullshit, that's all.

manchuria
6/05/2004 6:10am,
Well of course everybody beleives the way they train is the best, otherwise they wouldnt be doing it that way, and try as we might the internet remains a subjective format where you dont have to pay for what you say, I know ive said a lot of stupid **** in my time. People will be oppiniated, but i find thats mostly in the light discussion and banter, when it comes down to actually going after someone this forum does a very good job of making sure they are truly bullshido.

Blad3
6/05/2004 6:26am,
Manchuria is correct.

Thing is you just named three idiosyncrasies of bullshidos':

No sparring,
Sparring after a long time only, sparring usually limited,
horse stances.

So mabye you have the wrong impression of what a Bullshido is, or maybe I do. But usually we do make sure something is most likely a Bullshido before criticizing it. See the many threads on page 1 now...

CrashStitches
6/05/2004 6:31am,
The difference is whether people (prospective or current students) are under the correct understanding of what they are getting into. If you're training a fighting style, self-defense, or an art, it should be clearly obvious. If you heard of a Tai Chi school that advocated the art for street self-defense, your BS flag would go up. But few will deny its capacity as an art. On the other side of it is Tae-Bo, a perversion of kickboxing for fitness. I've heard claims from women that "I'm getting in shape and learning things that help me defend myself." God help you, ma'am.

A basic understanding of the art's function, and statement thereof, is what (IMO) determines consideration of legitimacy or McDojoism.

J-kid
6/05/2004 6:32am,
Since there is no way for most of us to see if a school is bullshido or not, we have to go on our own predjest. The general idea of what bullshido isnt always right but 99/100 times its right on the butten when it comes to signs of a mcdojo. So we use them

Blad3
6/05/2004 6:42am,
exactly jkid/Crash

Gezere
6/05/2004 10:39am,
[i]If a legitimate school that turns out decent martial artists does things a little differently than yours it does not mean they are wrong. [/B]

No. If it works it works. That one of the great things of actually testing your training you get to see first hand if where your lacking.

Most of the time the BS bomb is thrown on illogical and just plain stupid claims. For instance karate school X does not let students spar until they reach 4th kyu level. They only do kata. But school X claims there school turns out Badass fighters. School X doesn't have anything to support that because their senior students are getting owned by low ranking students in another school.

Traditional Tom
6/05/2004 11:30am,
Hmm you've got a point soul mind

but possibly the people dissing the schools feel you should be able to defend it? I dunno
personally I think some of the people here take fighting a little too seriously, god knows I would get owned by anyone but an untrained newbie in a fight, but I still like doing martial arts (usually anyways, depends on what kinda day I had beforehand hehe) because of the people, mostly.

Ah well, whatcha gonna do
keep trainin bitch! thats what!

Gezere
6/05/2004 3:50pm,
Originally posted by Traditional Tom
I dunno personally I think some of the people here take fighting a little too seriously, god knows I would get owned by anyone but an untrained newbie in a fight, but I still like doing martial arts (usually anyways, depends on what kinda day I had beforehand hehe) because of the people, mostly.

Well that kind of the reason for this site. MA is about FIGHTHING. Pple NOW try to dress it up and make it look pretty but the bottomline is you are praticing a MARTIAL activity. For the most part that means doing some pugilistic skill. At the very least you should be able to apply it has it We all have our reasons for training but if you going to teach MA for other reason then they should be upfront about it.

SMF
6/06/2004 5:11am,
Asia say school X is seido juku..which dosn't let students spar till 4th kyu...which does turn out baddass fighters...

elfin vampire
6/06/2004 5:40am,
[email protected] stances

sorry

MrMcFu
6/06/2004 7:09am,
Sure, everyone's training methods are all created equal . . .

alex
6/06/2004 8:23am,
why am i not surprised that an aikidoka would make this thread

Locu5
6/06/2004 8:30am,
what if ones training method consists of watching various instructional videos, ninja flicks, and kung fu theater reruns.. there is no school... so it can't be a mcdojo, and therefore cannot be bullshido right?