PDA

View Full Version : Journy into CMA

Pages : [1] 2

Akurra
6/04/2004 11:38am,
I have recently signed up for a month of training at a northern shaolin kung fu school. I work with one of the former students turned Sifu and he referred me to this place. He made many boasts of kung fu being lethal and deadly. He even threw in a comment about how wushu people could fight. This set of my (fairly weak) bullshido sensor in a hurry. I wouldn't have wasted my time checking out this d43d1y school, but he said other things that were appealing. He talked about the importance of physical fitness, the importance of full contact (san shou) sparring, and when asked about what he thought about BJJ, he commented that it was probably one of the best arts for one on one fighting. So I checked out the school.

The first day I went was a free lesson for me. This was last thursday mind you. The teacher is a short fit chinese gentleman with a heavy jamaican accent (yes it is funny.) He seemed the most down to earth of everyone there and the least impressed by the art he was teaching out of everyone there.

To begin, everyone lined up and did this funky salute thing. Then straight into exercising. This routine lasted for 20-30 minutes and involved lots of bodyweight exercising, holding positions (i.e. on 2 feet put together and 1 fist on the ground), and running in place. It was not bad at all, had me sweatin quite a bit. Couldn't do all of the exercises actually.

After we were done, the second part of the class started. Everyone was told to gear up. I, it seems, was not allowed to fight. Apparently only paying members were allowed to spar. I guess they wanted to make sure I wasn't some hooligan looking to stir up trouble.

The next half hour was all sparring. This was the beginning class so the sparring looked half decent at best most of the time. What I liked was that it was very straight forward boxing and kicking. The rules were no throwing or grappling, and you could kick and punch anywhere above the knee. There were several students training for the san shou tournament that was comming up, and they sparred san shou. Basically full contact above the knee and throwing was allowed as long as people didn't lock up for more than 5 seconds at a time. There were some pretty good trips and even a suplex thrown in.

The second day was pretty much a repeat of the first. This time I was allowed to spar, and found that I sparred about as well as an average beginner student. If I had to rank my sparring ability it would be at about the average green-white sash level. (on a side note, had it been a real fight I might have beaten all of those people, given that many of their kicks, while fast and accurate, had little power behind them and I could have shrugged them off easily.) I was told not to go too hard this time, which was fine with me. Everyone was sparring at about 50-75% intensity.

After class I asked some questions. Turns out that class meets monday - thursday and sunday. Sunday is a 2 hour do whatever class. Monday and tuesday is form work. Wednesday and thursday is sparring. Every class begins with a similar work out. Haven't been to a forms class yet, so I can't tell you what that is like. According to the students, every fight night is a little different. Sometimes only2 people spar at a time, sometimres there are 5 pairs sparring. Sometimes the sifu throws a practice knife into the middle of the ring and you can scramble to get it. Sometimes practice sticks and knives are placed in opposite corners of the ring. Seemed pretty cool to me.

The main thing I didn't like was the egos of the highschoolers that were there. My overall impression of this school is that it is a solid class that thinks it's better than it actually is. I believe that as long as one doesn't believe all the "kung f00 is t3h d34dli3s7" crap floating around, one can actually come away from this school having learned some valuable things. Anyone here have any opinions about this?

EternalRage
6/04/2004 11:51am,
Doesn't sound too bad. At least they have sparring. I got friends who do Northern Shaolin and the forms work is crazy hard. Theyre really flexible and very fit. They can't fight very well tho but this school you describe seems to have that end sort of covered.

Just make sure not to sign any contracts and make sure it doesnt cost too much.

As for high school kids having egos, thats nothing new theyll always be little bitches.

Omega Supreme
6/04/2004 11:58am,
I can't believe you're doing CMA. CMA is crap. Look at that, CMA has no grappling or throwing. All that posturing is bullshit too. Teenagers a brain dead and so are you for taking CMA. Why don't you take up knitting it'll be more constructive.

Traditional Tom
6/04/2004 12:02pm,
whats CMA stand for?

Stold3
6/04/2004 12:03pm,
whapush

liuzg150181
6/04/2004 12:07pm,
CMA=Chinese Martial Art

deus ex machina
6/04/2004 12:40pm,
(on a side note, had it been a real fight I might have beaten all of those people, given that many of their kicks, while fast and accurate, had little power behind them and I could have shrugged them off easily.) I was told not to go too hard this time, which was fine with me. Everyone was sparring at about 50-75% intensity.

So they're going at 50% intensity, and you have the gall to make assumptions about how well they'd fair in a "real fight"? Give me a fucking break.

Ronin
6/04/2004 12:52pm,
CMA = Chinese Martial Arts ???
Damn, I thought CMA meant Crotch Massage Art.

MasterKiller
6/04/2004 12:53pm,
Originally posted by omega
I can't believe you're doing CMA. CMA is crap. Look at that, CMA has no grappling or throwing. Technically, all kung fu should have 4 elements:

kicks (Ti)
strikes (Da)
throwing (Shaui)
locking (Na)

While Ti and Da tend to be predominant, Shaui and Na should also be part of the curriculum for a serious CMA school.

deus ex machina
6/04/2004 1:16pm,
MasterKiller, omega teaches CMA.

Omega Supreme
6/04/2004 1:17pm,
Originally posted by MasterKiller
Technically, all kung fu should have 4 elements:

kicks (Ti)
strikes (Da)
throwing (Shaui)
locking (Na)

While Ti and Da tend to be predominant, Shaui and Na should also be part of the curriculum for a serious CMA school.

Oh look another neophyte with foot in mouth syndrome. How stupid should I make you look?

You've been watching too many movies!!! CMA sucks, everybody that takes CMA sucks!!! Go watch Masta of de fly Guillitine and STFU you newb!!!!

Welcome to bullshido.

Ronin
6/04/2004 1:21pm,
Originally posted by deus ex machina

By teach we mean, beats people up.
By CMA we mean, Chairs, Machine guns and Axes.

Omega Supreme
6/04/2004 1:22pm,

(Cartman voice)Goddamnit!!! I was having fun with these guys!!!

Akurra
6/04/2004 1:29pm,
Deus ex. You should know that I took that into account. Understand that I also was going at about 50-75%. Also, from the technique that their kicks had, it was pretty obvious that there was no real power behind the kicks that they hit me with. One guy lifted his leg up and started trying to 'tag' me with his foot. That's not to say there weren't some there who kicked hard. And that's not to say that a couple of times the people who I were sparring with threw a decent kick. Perhaps I should have been clearer in saying that I could have beaten the 3 beginning students that I fought.

Master killer. At higher levels, the students begin learning eagle claw and Chin-Na. Is that the "na" aspect of CMA that you are referring to?

MasterKiller
6/04/2004 1:32pm,
MasterKiller, omega teaches CMA. Oh. I thought he did Wing Tsun.;)

Master killer. At higher levels, the students begin learning eagle claw and Chin-Na. Is that the "na" aspect of CMA that you are referring to? Yes.

Jenfucius
6/04/2004 1:33pm,
Originally posted by MasterKiller
Technically, all kung fu should have 4 elements:

kicks (Ti)
strikes (Da)
throwing (Shaui)
locking (Na)

you forgot flying and sometimes stabbing. contrary to misconceptions perpetuated by the japanese "ninja craze" of the 80's, the chinese invented flying and stabbing, along with chopsticks, noodles, roast pork, and lunch specials with wonton soup and your choice or white or brown rice.