PDA

View Full Version : first judo class

Pages : [1] 2

alex
6/01/2004 10:30pm,
ok so im going to my first ever judo class in a couple of hours- what should I expect? I havent talked to the instructor yet so I dont know much. any warning signs I should know about insofar as judo goes? Im usually pretty good at spotting teh mcdojos, but I've never dealt with judo before.

Nid
6/01/2004 10:35pm,
I was actually thinking this same thing earlier. The last TKD McDojo I was at, also had Judo.
I've since gathered that Judo can pretty friggin cool though.

If they had randori (though I'm not positive they did), how could they not rekonize how lame their TKD was in that respect?

One of life's great mysteries.

AFS
6/01/2004 10:37pm,
I like the fact that despite having never partcipated in a judo class you put judo under your style...

ANyway, just the usual precautions. Make sure warm-ups are well organised, don't be too disappointed if you have to practice your first lessons rather boring stuff ( how to fall etc. ).

If they let your do randori make sure not to go berserk. Lerna by watching the good guys.

AFS
6/01/2004 10:41pm,
and how to spot mcdojos - a technique which will work against a defending opponent should be simple to practice with a willing partner. Each technique has their own little special points , but your coach should be able to explain the details of each technique on biomechanical grounds.
Watch out for the old fashioned guys who just let you do one million uchi komis ( repetitions ) without correcting your technique. Also, there are a lot of coaches who believe the moer push ups you do the better your judo will be - that is not neccessarily true.

kosenjudoka
6/01/2004 10:41pm,
Look at the students, some places are purely rec. and if that suits you cool, but look for reasonably healthy and capable students and instructers, helps if you see em do a bit of the ground work too..

alex
6/01/2004 10:52pm,
Originally posted by AFS
I like the fact that despite having never partcipated in a judo class you put judo under your style...

hey, I have to have muay thai and ju-something there for me to be taken seriously ;)

I have had a bit of breakfall training from my kung fu/karate, so hopefully that'll help. also a few basic things like hip throws and leg reaps. does judo train things like leg holds and joint locks? (not aikido mystical finger **** 5, I mean armbars/ kneebars/ boston crabs...)

well ok maybe not boston crabs. guess ill have to wait for rasslin to have less gay stigma before I learn that.

bushi51
6/01/2004 11:28pm,
Yes, if it is a good school the training will be excelent.
Enjoy. Judo Rocks.

CrashStitches
6/01/2004 11:35pm,
I'm interested to hear how it goes for you. There's a judo program near my house that's incredibly cheap ($25 for six weeks), but I've heard it's a sporty-based program with a lack of groundwork (which is what I'm way more interested in).

alex
6/01/2004 11:38pm,
ill write it up after i come back. starts in 1.5 hours and only goes 45 minutes for beginners, but I have muay thai afterwards which goes for another 1.5 hours. i know you will all be on the edge of your collective seat

bushi51
6/01/2004 11:40pm,
Crash:
Go invistigate. If it is a good club Ne-waza (ground work) will be taught and trained. Most schools are Sporty. That also goes for BJJ too, and that does not hurt its effectiveness.

Blad3
6/01/2004 11:49pm,
keinhaar, because grappling and striking are two very different "arts"/styles IMO. Sometimes, it seems, good grappler's/grappling practitioners' aren't 100% on what striking styles are good, they can't relate. Maybe it's because they don't get hit in grappling and they want to learn stand up and still not get hit hard...Also they may assume a striking style is good when it isn't out of ignorance.

alex
6/02/2004 5:29am,
ok so it was on a bit later than i thought, but thats cool because it fits in with my schedule, whereas before I was missing a whole lesson of muay thai, now im only missing the last half hour. anyway.

first impression was good. nice big hall, some boxing bags (they do boxing there as well apparently) and a big ass mat to roll around on. we go through the usual intro, hi my names alex, was looking to get some judo training in, hows your sister etc. he asks the obligatory "so what other arts have you done?" and it got a bit odd here-

me: used to do karate and kung fu, now I do muay thai
him: oh so you already have the gear? (this threw me a bit)
me: eh?
him: a gi. you wear one for muay thai?
me: uhhh, no.
him: what do you wear?
me: (looking down at my basketball singlet and crappy pants) well, this.
him: oh. ok. we can find something for ya.

so I dont think he has much experience with teh muay thai (might just be the name that threw him, its usually just called kickboxing round here. moving on. we started with a basic warm up, then he showed me some breakfalls. I knew these already from teh kung fu so we spent about 5 minutes on them and moved onto some basic throws. unfortunately they all have crazy japanese names, and im terrible at remembering names, let alone japanese ones. the first one we went over was the basic hip throw (also already knew this from kung fu) and the second one was where you step past them while pulling the sleeve and pushing the lapel, then reaping their front leg. last throw we practiced was kind of a combo of the two, where you pull them around but use your leg to trip them instead of your hips.

i should point out a couple of things here- I am about 5'10 and 65kg. this guy was about 5'8 or 5'9 and about 85kg, and a fair bit of it was muscle. but i still managed to do a good job (I think) of pushing him about. he was quite enthusiastic about me being left handed, said that will give me a good advantage against others because im pulling and pushing in "the wrong direction" so while they would naturally pull one way when i do a certain move, they will actually be doing just what I want. anyway enough of me gloating about how much i rule against right handed saps, and on with the review.

after this we got the other two guys (a blue belt and a white belt who is about to grade) and we went through some basic holds on the ground. first was just a basic chest pin, which I can do, but I wouldnt choose it as a bread and butter move because im not very heavy. then we moved onto a similar move but we grabbed their arm on the opposite side and pulled it on close. these were all from a side control position. then, we practiced a "4 quarters hold" where we are opposite each other with my head over his stomach/groin (and who says judo is gay?!?!) and my chest on his, with my elbows jammed up into his armpits. the last one we did was a scarf hold i think, where I did a cross leg side control (im making the names up as i go along here) and reached the far arm behind their neck and grabbed my knee, pushing the side of my ribcage into theirs. I very much like this one, and because im left handed its easier for me to get into in some situations.

so yeah, after that he looked at the new syllabus he had recieved, made a few comments about the new self defense section (something along the lines of "fucking bollocks") before telling me how they run things. its a very relaxed atmosphere- we bow once before we get onto the mat, and thats it, he doesnt expect us to call him sensei or anything. if one of the bigwigs comes along they act a bit mre formal, but they usually get warning of that. the head guy Tony is a foulmouthed pom, but so is my dad so I can live with that. its a small club- he said usually they have about 4 more people, but that only brings it up to 8, so thats cool. the cost is tiny- 30 bucks for about 11 weeks (its 30 bucks a semester and theres 4 semesters in a NZ school year, each is about 9-12 weeks) and on the holidays training is free and goes from 6 until whenever we feel like going home. regular weeks its from 7.30 until we want to go home, but unfortunately its only once a week.

next week we will have a bit of randori, tony says he likes to just give new people the basics and get them in with the rest of the class as quick as possible, instead of "all this beginner white belt bullshit"

I like this guy ;)

MUT
6/02/2004 6:32am,
Sounds good man.keep it at Judo is one of the best arts EVAR!!!!11!!

JohnnyFive
6/02/2004 6:57am,
You'll learn the Japanese names after a while, don't worry. Welcome to the judo family! ;)

WhiteShark
6/02/2004 8:53am,
Sounds like a sweet place good luck! And BTW that second throw is the Osoto Gari you hear so much about.

Ronin
6/02/2004 8:57am,
I always hated the break falls !!!!!!
Still do !!
I am sure if I was better at them, I would not have been hurt so many times, but I hate doing them !!!!
I can't wait till they come out with a silky judo gi, one that is soft on my sensitive skin and caresses my body in all the right ways.