PDA

View Full Version : butterfly guard in mma

Pages : [1] 2

FCTKD
5/31/2004 5:56pm,
Why isn't the butterfly guard use more in mma? I always see closed guard or open but I've only seen butterfly once or twice. Only time I can think of is when in royce vs saku. It's seems more effective than open for sure, easy sweeps and makes it hard for opponents to use leg locks.

the Mutt
5/31/2004 7:25pm,
can you guys show me a picture of this , or describe it?

the Mutt
5/31/2004 8:38pm,
Thanks....I never sawthat described that way, nice.

Omega Supreme
5/31/2004 10:18pm,
Butterfly guard is excellent to keep guys off balance and such but as you can see does not prevent striking. All one has to do is sit on the foot and tee off on your head or simply stand up. I looooooove the butterfly guard but for MMA? Nah, I 'll go to open 1 in 1 out.

Crapfestival
5/31/2004 10:27pm,
I like the butterfly guard for MMA, a lot. But its a quick phase... if it doesnt do what I want rigth away, back to open guard with one hook in.

Omega Supreme
5/31/2004 10:29pm,
Originally posted by J-Lau
I like the butterfly guard for MMA, a lot. But its a quick phase... if it doesnt do what I want rigth away, back to open guard with one hook in.

Yeah good point. I think I've used it as transition too.

Crapfestival
5/31/2004 11:00pm,
I like to do this.

Get to the butterfly guard.

Pull them on top of me, or pull myself under them.

Now I work them to straighten them out. I push them away with my legs, and creep my arms up so I lock their arms out.

Once I completely have their base because they are so outstretched, I roll to mount and pin their arms with my knees.

But I have to be careful to not be rolled, because it would go back to regular guard, which is bad.

I love this sequence... one of my favorites for MMA.

the Mutt
6/01/2004 5:54am,
I'm learning a lot here....thanx

Te No Kage!
6/01/2004 6:00am,
Doesn't Genki use the butterfly quite a bit? I know I've seen the butterfly guard used quite a bit watching Pride/UFC.

SLJ
6/01/2004 6:02am,
I don't fight MMA, but I always feel more comfortable with one leg in and one out.

Crapfestival
6/01/2004 8:30am,
One in and one out is good... but you still need to be careful. I can relax when I get my butterfly guard with tight underhooks.

FCTKD
6/01/2004 8:30am,
Yeah your right about the strikes, Saku did land some strikes when Royce used it. I just thought I'd ask, since I broke my arm I've been reading up alot on submission grapppling and they basically said open guard was terrible. Different sport different defense.

MrMcFu
6/01/2004 8:55am,
While I love using it, the butterfly guard will only work right if you can hold onto your opponent and bring him into you. His center of gravity has to be up on your legs a bit or else he can just push over your legs into mount.

In my experience, like J-Lau said, you have to do it quick and be ready to release if you see trouble.

Crapfestival
6/01/2004 11:54am,
Well thats the key to any sweep... taking their center.

ClintEQ
6/02/2004 2:04am,
I think Sudo used it against Mike Brown in the last UFC.

MrMcFu
6/02/2004 2:31am,
Originally posted by J-Lau
Well thats the key to any sweep... taking their center.

True. The incorrect thing I see most people using with the BG is that they don't have the other tight enough or are too much on their back without the opponent tipped forward.